JCW exhaust for jcw

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Brazen
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
If you straight pipe all the way it will drone. But some people like it loud. Remus sounds good but the IPE and FI exhaust sound awesome.
For a pretty penny too... I bet the sound is amazing from both

Old 07-03-2018, 07:39 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Personally, I don't think my car actually drones. I've heard some bad exhaust jobs, and at highway speeds the tone resonates and seems to turn your brain to mush. In my car, It's just louder than normal.

Now get this. This will sound counter-intuitive, but once you remove all of the fiddly exhaust bits, Green Mode is louder than Sport Mode. Let me explain.

In a stock JCW, Sport Mode changes the ignition and valve timing along with throttle mapping to help the car produce as much power as possible. Then, the ASD module creates some artificial exhaust sound and plays it through the speakers to give the effect of a louder exhaust. In Green mode, the same stuff happens for the opposite goal, being fuel economy. Except in Green Mode, no artificial sound is created. In stock form, Green Mode is the quietest mode.

Now, when you remove the catalytic converter, resonator and muffler, the exhaust obviously gets louder, but what I've discovered is that the tone that Green Mode produces in a straight piped exhaust, because of the varied timing and engine management, is very harsh and does indeed drone quite a bit. However, in Sport Mode, the tone is much less abrasive and is noticeably quieter. Of course, the ASD module is still working away creating that artificial exhaust note, but there's no way you'll ever hear it over the sound of the actual exhaust.

I made this discovery on a road trip from Kansas City to Chicago when I had the cruise set. In Green Mode, you'll get the best fuel economy, but the drone will drive you mad. With the cruise set, you can flick the driving mode switch over to Sport Mode and instantly hear the exhaust volume be cut in half. It was quite surprising.

As a side note, when driving in Mid Mode with the cruise set, the Green Mode engine telemetry is applied for better fuel economy. Switching from Green to Mid while the cruise is on yields no acoustical difference.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Brazen
For a pretty penny too... I bet the sound is amazing from both
Yes, but they sound awesome.

IPE Innotech:

FI exhaust:

We should have Garbino exhaust here very soon.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-01-2018, 06:17 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Remus is awesome. Just got back from almost 8,800 miles that included MTTS West (I live in Florida). Installed the Remus exhaust on my JCW and it was awesome. Observations:
- a bit lout on startup ... not an issue for me
- really nice idle sound
- lots of options ... great capability, but I keep mine 100% open ... always defaults to last position
- plenty of bang and pops, but not obnoxious
- no drone whatsoever at highway speeds ... even fully open

I got a lot of positive comments on the sound ... it really is nice. Best of all worlds ... super idle sound, great sound on acceleration and deceleration, but totally quiet on the road.

Could not be happier!

Old 08-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Lionel Hutz
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFreak427
Personally, I don't think my car actually drones. I've heard some bad exhaust jobs, and at highway speeds the tone resonates and seems to turn your brain to mush. In my car, It's just louder than normal.

Now get this. This will sound counter-intuitive, but once you remove all of the fiddly exhaust bits, Green Mode is louder than Sport Mode. Let me explain.

In a stock JCW, Sport Mode changes the ignition and valve timing along with throttle mapping to help the car produce as much power as possible. Then, the ASD module creates some artificial exhaust sound and plays it through the speakers to give the effect of a louder exhaust. In Green mode, the same stuff happens for the opposite goal, being fuel economy. Except in Green Mode, no artificial sound is created. In stock form, Green Mode is the quietest mode.

Now, when you remove the catalytic converter, resonator and muffler, the exhaust obviously gets louder, but what I've discovered is that the tone that Green Mode produces in a straight piped exhaust, because of the varied timing and engine management, is very harsh and does indeed drone quite a bit. However, in Sport Mode, the tone is much less abrasive and is noticeably quieter. Of course, the ASD module is still working away creating that artificial exhaust note, but there's no way you'll ever hear it over the sound of the actual exhaust.

I made this discovery on a road trip from Kansas City to Chicago when I had the cruise set. In Green Mode, you'll get the best fuel economy, but the drone will drive you mad. With the cruise set, you can flick the driving mode switch over to Sport Mode and instantly hear the exhaust volume be cut in half. It was quite surprising.

As a side note, when driving in Mid Mode with the cruise set, the Green Mode engine telemetry is applied for better fuel economy. Switching from Green to Mid while the cruise is on yields no acoustical difference.
Do you have an AT car? This sounds exactly like sport mode was keeping your car out of the highest gear, rather than something having to do with engine management.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:54 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Nope, manual here. Valve timing changes the sound significantly, especially with the straight pipe.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:40 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Remus is a good option also, i like the finish and CF tips of them and the akrapovic.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 PM
R53hyperblue
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
If you straight pipe all the way it will drone. But some people like it loud. Remus sounds good but the IPE and FI exhaust sound awesome.
What is the cost of the IPE with valve for F56 JCW ?

Old 09-20-2018, 05:10 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Its all right here, Valvetronic is the valved system : https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2015-...t/Performance/