JCW JCW Drilled & Slotted Rotors

Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Thanks. I'll bookmark it for future reference. Still have a lot of life in my current set of rotors.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:38 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
The Ferodo pads showed up today. They have the typical backings I'm used to, just like the ones pictured a few posts back. If I'll be no worse off without them, I won't sweat it I guess. Even first party BMW pads of this design don't use those hats, so they must not be required. I wonder what purpose they serve.

--Matt

Old 03-01-2018, 01:31 PM
tweiss8
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did just receive My R1 Geomets....they didn't have the Eline for our JCW....which sucks because I did want the black rotor. I am pairing them to EBC red stuff. I will try and do a write up after I have them on for a while. The build quality does look excellent.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:46 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Am I likely to get the pad sensors off my stock pads to reinstall on my new ones? I'll probably install them later this month or early next month once the snow is gone.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:05 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Never heard back so I ordered a replacement wear sensor. I'm probably going to pick up this punch set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B3NWBVI

RacingBrake only has the one size tool (6mm), so hopefully I that set should cover a close enough size. It seems like the newer calipers might be using 4mm pins, and it should have options on either side of that.

--Matt

Old 04-11-2018, 09:16 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mattkosem
Never heard back so I ordered a replacement wear sensor. I'm probably going to pick up this punch set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B3NWBVI

RacingBrake only has the one size tool (6mm), so hopefully I that set should cover a close enough size. It seems like the newer calipers might be using 4mm pins, and it should have options on either side of that.

--Matt
good find! let me know how it goes. probably buy it after you confirm it. been annoying using a sawed off screwdriver.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Tentatively planning to install this stuff next weekend along with summer wheels/tires. Winter has been going on too long here!

--Matt

Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Oh, forgot to post this...

Old 04-21-2018, 12:11 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
What sort of squeal control solutions are you guys using? These DS2500s have a tendancy to squeal, and I'd like to minimize it .I've had good luck with the red CRC silicone stuff made for the back of pads, as well as Permatex Ceramic Extreme brake parts lube (which does double duty in that role too). I have both on hand, but have heard good stuff about the spray on CRC stuff. Never could get the EBC Yellows on my Clubman quiet with either though.

Probably will just go with the Ceramic Extreme. I've not had it burn off after getting the brakes way hot like the silicone stuff, and it seems otherwise just as effective as a squeal prevention/suppression measure.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 04-21-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:01 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
I put nothing on the backs of the pads and it ended up quiet. Rotors fit great, pads did not. They were about 1/32" too thick - basically the thickness of the backing plate. For lack of any other option, I sanded off the 1/32" and they went in otherwise perfectly. The smallest punch from that set worked great!
​​​​​​
Quiet as a mouse and they stop wonderfully! Ferodo's bedding instructions were pretty intense, but all looks good!

--Matt

Old 04-22-2018, 04:48 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
what size punch tool did you end up using? also what part numbers are the ferodos? assuming these are street use only?

Old 04-22-2018, 05:52 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
what size punch tool did you end up using? also what part numbers are the ferodos? assuming these are street use only?
1/16 (smallest) was the right one. They're sold as a street/track pad, but I'd venture a guess that they're probably crap for track use. This car likely won't see any track use anyways.

So, I'm not sure how this compares to a new stock rotors, but the weight I see on old mousey (more on why it's mousey here) seems to be lighter than the DBA.

If you're looking for somewhere to shed some additional unsprung weight, it seems like you can look elsewhere. This scale may be way off at weights like this, and I have no idea how much has worn off of these rotors (probably not 1lb), but it's at least the same scale with both in the same spot so they should be comparable figures.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 04-22-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:26 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
The DS2500s are definitely nice pads on this car. They are definitely a bit bitier than the stockers, but not in a really in your face way.

They're very straight forward and simple to drive normally. I have found that they will squeak under on very specific condition, when completely cold and coming to a stop at around 5mph with a very specific pedal pressure. I cannot recreate it after any stops past the first, and it's easy to have not happen by just pressing the pedal somewhat heavier or lighter.

Very happy with them. Pedal feel is excellent, only slightly firmer than stock. Overall, aside from that squeak mentioned there, they're actually quieter than stock. The stock pads are a little "wooshy" during low speed braking, and these do not do that unless there's oxidation from rain on the rotors. They take heat like crazy for a street pad, and braking remains very consistent across temperatures. It's still a bit cool here, and I've not had an opportunity to give them a proper flogging, but I've not approached their heat limit yet (though, admittedly, the size of the rotors on these cars probably helps a lot there).

--Matt

Old 04-30-2018, 03:51 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Iam using TAROX and they 1,5 kgs lighter than the Prokit ones

https://scontent-frt3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...f9&oe=5B5D405B

Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
Iam using TAROX and they 1,5 kgs lighter than the Prokit ones

https://scontent-frt3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...f9&oe=5B5D405B
Wasn't aware of other options in 2-piece. In any event, they look like lightweight rotors. The rings on the DBAs are definitely not lightweight, and have tons of thermal mass. It's probably not of much consequence, but I did at least pay quite a bit less than £700 for them too.

--Matt

Old 05-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by mattkosem
Wasn't aware of other options in 2-piece. In any event, they look like lightweight rotors. The rings on the DBAs are definitely not lightweight, and have tons of thermal mass. It's probably not of much consequence, but I did at least pay quite a bit less than £700 for them too.

--Matt
There are much more options but not TÜV/MOT conform for the JCW brake, 1,5 kgs per brake kgs is not bad, my 0,5 kg Lightblox battery is also quite expensive but saves 25 kgs. The TAROX design: drilled holes plus slots underline its real usage

Facebook Post

Search this Thread