JCW Burnt smell inside and out

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Jfr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnt smell inside and out

Had to work my 2015 countryman JCW pretty hard to get out of snow bank. Everything looks fine, it drives good and clutch feels fine but I’m left with a burnt smell inside and out. Any thoughts what it could be or where it’s coming from?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
What kind of burnt? There are distinguishes, clutch/brake pad, electrical, gas/oil/grease, rubber, plastic, wood (and different species of wood), wee...oops, and etc. It makes a huge difference

Old 12-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Jfr
Neutral
My son-in-law said it was similar to electrical smell. We thought it might be wiring but can’t find any evidence. We intend to take a closer look when they put on the new tires this week. But I’m thinking I should take it into a dealer? But like I said, it’s running fine.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
If it's electrical, maybe not park it in the garage 'till it's checked out if that's where you park it at night. Nothing worse that an 0200 fire alarm in the building. Our neighbor lost his Jeep sumptin-or-other just 2 weeks ago from electrical fire and boy, it burned good.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Jfr
Neutral
Thx for the advice. It happened Xmas eve so probably safe, but it’s in an outdoor carport now just in case. Happy 2018!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfr
Had to work my 2015 countryman JCW pretty hard to get out of snow bank. Everything looks fine, it drives good and clutch feels fine but I’m left with a burnt smell inside and out. Any thoughts what it could be or where it’s coming from?
My guess is you over heated the clutch. They can take this without any problems until one day they can't. Nothing you can do about what was done just try to keep this in mind next time you get in a snow bank.

What I did when I drove my cars in winter weather was for each car I bought a nice heavy duty nylon tow strap of considerable length. I then bought w heavy duty lifting u-bolts. What I would have done had either of my cars gotten stuck in a snow bank or down in a ditch would have been to fit the tow eye to the car then the u-bolt to the tow eye and then connect the strap to the u-bolt.

The other u-bolt I would have connected the strap to it and the u-bolt to another vehicle and have the other vehicle pull my car out of the snow bank or ditch.

Never had to use this setup but it comforted me knowing it was in the car for "just in case".

Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
I had a burned smell in my '03 S after a great deal of clutch action in a traffic jam up a long hill. It lasted to some degree for months but finally went away. That was more than 10 years ago and the clutch has been fine ever since, so if that's what your burned smell turns out to be don't despair too soon. Good luck...

Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Once had a Jaguar mechanic tell me that the burnt smell was "normal until it isn't." I asked him how I could tell the difference. He said, "When you have to call the fire brigade." Ahh, English cars. Nothin' like um. That's why we drive them.

Seriously, on these cars, lots of things can happen with the drive train when one is working out of snow or mud. All the traction minders and so on go into overtime. If the smell doesn't dissipate, time for the dealer to sniff around. Best of luck.