JCW Is an exhaust upgrade recommended ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:16 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Get over it people and get back on topic.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:34 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
^ exactly. This started as a good discussion and somehow went off the rails. Did a little pruning, back now to the original topic. Thanks all.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (11-16-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ridgemanron
Based on adding the Dinan Elite to my 2018 JCW - 6 speed - Convertible,
would an exhaust upgrade add anything substantial?
Adding an exhaust in conjunction with a tune or "chip" should be a good combo. After all, you turbo will likely be boosting higher pressure and an upgraded exhaust will help with the exhaust flow.

Originally Posted by trentiles
Not really. Some places tout 9hp. You won't feel that. Only really worth it for the sound.
+9HP is obtainable with a good exhaust; couple that with a tune and the combine gain might be a little more. We have tuned a few F56 1.5T Cooper and we can really hear the restrictiveness of the stock exhaust.

Originally Posted by trentiles
I wish I worked for a tuning company. Good try though, I'm just a guy that works in Healthcare IT. Someone who has extensive experience in the world of using many company software flashes and many companies piggybacks. All bought at full cost. But, it seems like because you have a buddy who works at a "speed shop", you know all the "facts." I'm done with this thread as it got far off topic anyways.
We can confirm this. Trentiles purchased the Stage-1 custom flash for his F56 along with the OBD FlashAccess module at our Summer Discount special pricing. He is one of our many happy customers out there and we thank you for your support

Happy Motoring!

Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
If still interested in an exhaust AWE Tuning makes absolutely incredible exhaust with many setup options. They also have great customer service.

Remus also has top of the line exhausts, although I am not familiar with their customer setup firsthand I have read great things about them.

If I was in the market for an exhaust it would be one of the above, personally leaning towards AWE.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:22 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by ridgemanron
Based on adding the Dinan Elite to my 2018 JCW - 6 speed - Convertible,
would an exhaust upgrade add anything substantial?
Yes, here is the proof on my JCW on the dynomometer with the run with JCW PRO exhaust closed and then with it open. Proof positive and I can feel the difference in the butt dyno as well.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dynanomometer 3-8-2016.pdf (33.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
An addendum after reading the entire thread. I chose not to risk warranty issues with my dealer and installed the NM module. I remove it before included dealer services. I have almost 29,000 miles on the car with zero issues and it performs adequately for my needs, mostly twisties and occasional tracking. The sound of the exhaust is stellar. Remus also makes an exhaust that sound great, but the JCW exhaust is quieter if/when you may choose not to be as noisy. I like to keep peace with my neighbors.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
My neighbors love when I leave at 5am

Old 12-04-2017, 01:20 PM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
An addendum after reading the entire thread. I chose not to risk warranty issues with my dealer and installed the NM module. I remove it before included dealer services. I have almost 29,000 miles on the car with zero issues and it performs adequately for my needs, mostly twisties and occasional tracking. The sound of the exhaust is stellar. Remus also makes an exhaust that sound great, but the JCW exhaust is quieter if/when you may choose not to be as noisy. I like to keep peace with my neighbors.
I'm assuming that an upgrade to the downpipe would also be
beneficial. P.S. - You do know that once you upgrade the
exhaust, it's a 'slippery slope' that leads to a whole host of
expenditures that always have us repeating, 'just one more
and then I'm through !'

Old 12-04-2017, 01:31 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Yes, but I have and will continue to hold off and go for the GP in 2020, and then all bets are off! Caveat, if they build it appearing similarly to the concept after removing the bolt ons! I really don't care for the gray and red color combo, black or rebel green are more to my liking. I do love the mini and what it is, but if Subaru ever builds the WRX STI in a 2 door coupe I may have to back off the GP!

Last edited by KYDan; 12-16-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: WRX STI
Old 12-16-2017, 02:26 PM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi there! As a Motoring Advisor, I get to drive all of the new MINIs as they come to the dealership, and I can attest to the benefits of a more free-flowing exhaust. Recently I drove my Dinan Elite tuned F56 JCW to work, and immediately hopped in a demo car that was a Cooper S with the JCW Pro exhaust. While my JCW obviously made more power, the Cooper S had better throttle response that I could notice even when toggling the exhaust open and closed. The improved throttle response can be attributed to how much more quickly the twin scroll turbos in these cars can spool when there's a lessened restriction in the airflow.

While most exhausts will, admittedly, only give you a few single-digit power number improvements, the responsiveness would be well worth the money in my book.

The following 2 users liked this post by CarFreak427:
2017All4 (12-16-2017), wcpfour (04-03-2019)