JCW DDC vs Sports suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:11 AM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
DDC vs Sports suspension

This is not your average suspension question you normal see but here it is.

Does anyone regret their suspension choice and why?
If you get the sports suspension, do you still have the "mode" switch on the dash?
And how does the Dinan elilte work with the mode switching?

I'm planning on ordering a JCW Countryman in the near future.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:46 AM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
wow, no takers huh? I'm surprised I haven't gotten the snarky "use the search option noob" comment yet?

Old 11-12-2017, 07:41 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1RavingLunatic
wow, no takers huh? I'm surprised I haven't gotten the snarky "use the search option noob" comment yet?
Well I will say that this was an immediate regret RIGHT after I ordered the car. I ordered DDC and after reading some of the boards I felt like I made a mistake. One reason I chose JCW instead of the S is because I specifically liked the 'feel' of the test drive (which had the Sport suspension). I was uninformed and didn't know DDC at it's stiffest/sportiest level does not match the regular sport suspension.

With that said, there is nothing I can do. My car is on order and should arrive in a few weeks. Who knows, maybe I"ll end up loving the DDC and this "regret" was all for naught.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 PM
booyun
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BTW, if you search, this is discussed in another thread. Just thought I'd be a bit snarky.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-control.html

The following users liked this post:
1RavingLunatic (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:09 AM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by booyun
BTW, if you search, this is discussed in another thread. Just thought I'd be a bit snarky.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-control.html
I ran into that thread previously, it actually helped me make the decision to go with the Sports Suspension. See, I have been torn between the JCW clubman and countryman, but after too many deployments, my back is jacked up, so I went with the higher seating position, but the height and extra weight bothered me...Until I saw the Dinan tune. That solidified it for me.My wife was complaining that the kids can't fit, my answer is "not my problem, they will figure it out" I don't suggest other people use that answer.

Anyway, I have found that it has been difficult to actually see what switches are on the dash and roof. And if I got a sports suspension, would that eliminate the mode switch....I HATE blank spaces. At the same time I couldn't figure out if the tune had different maps for the different driving modes. What's the point of having a green/sport mode switch when you can't use it. When I drive my grandma AKA wife around, I don't want to hear her complain about hitting her head and the door frame, or the bumps being too hard, or not being able to drive a manual transmission, can't fit in the car, etc. I've got a tall, very opinionated family, so I have to stick to my guns. I'm 6'1", wife is 5'10", 15 year old 5'3", 9 year old 4'10", 6 year old 4'3".

Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling, I'm tired. they were firing mortars all night the bastards.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:06 PM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
Anyway. I like closure, so I will finish this discussion...

After 7 months of driving, I am glad that I went with the DDC suspension. There have been a few times on crappy streets in Manhattan where is was nice to soften it up a bit. My 7 year old was sick today, and the sport mood stiffness was making it worse. I put it in green mode, and it was like driving on a cloud.

So, my vote is: If your a young kid still chasing tail on the strip every Friday and Saturday night, go with the sports suspension. At that age, you still think girls think its cool. (reality is they think it's cool because you think it's cool. If you have garbage roads or a family, DDC because the option to change the feel is indispensable.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I've never driven in Green Mode long enough to notice "driving on a cloud" effect. Will have to try that out over the pot holes and speed bumps!

Old 10-18-2018, 04:47 PM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
I have this nasty intersection near me that brutal. In suppo mode it almost feels like a car accident . In green mode is much easier

Old 10-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Just went for a drive to try it out. Felt like an elephant was sitting in the backseat. I forgot that when you stop the damn thing shuts down. No way I can use green except for heavy stopped traffic.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:59 PM
opus36o
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this nasty intersection near me that brutal. In suppo mode it almost feels like a car accident . In green mode is much easier
I have the 2 door hard top JCW with the DDC. It came with run flats which made the ride in the SPORTS setting quite stiff especially for NYC roads. I have switched to Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 which are non run-flats and the ride is noticeably smoother even in sports mode. Now I drive almost exclusively in SPORTS mode.

If you have the non adjustable suspension and find the ride too stiff, a good set of non-run flats will cure your ills.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 PM
1RavingLunatic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Just went for a drive to try it out. Felt like an elephant was sitting in the backseat. I forgot that when you stop the damn thing shuts down. No way I can use green except for heavy stopped traffic.
I can turn off the auto stop. Can you?

Old 10-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
I can turn off the auto stop. Can you?
I never remember to do that the first time and it usually freaks me out that the car has shut off. At that point I say the hell with it and go back to mid or sport mode. Old age has done wonders for my memory.

Found this description on newtis:
Electronic Damper Control is a comfort-oriented suspension control system for controlling the damping forces on individual wheels. The EDC valves have 2 positions: Hard damping action or soft damping action (valve CLOSED or OPEN).

Electronic Damper Control provides the following advantages:
  • greater on-road comfort
  • enhanced agility of vehicle
  • improved self-steering response and response to load reversals
  • Improved driving safety and shortening of the stopping distance
So in reality it appears that we only have two settings, not sure why you think Green mode is softer dampening. Maybe the perception is because you are going slower or is something else going on?

Last edited by Minnie.the.Moocher; 10-18-2018 at 11:17 PM.