of installers. Granted, there are more powerful upgrades out there
but they are fine as long as the buyer realizes how Mini Warranty
coverage could be voided.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:16 AM
pianoman011
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
Like I said above, you need to read up on how a dinian warranty works because you do not understand it
I think that you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am addressing your comment concerning the Mini warranty, not the Dinan Warranty. Mine was installed by the dealer before I purchased the car and my concern was with the Mini warranty being voided. That is what I have in writing concerning the Mini warranty. The dealer will honor the manufacturer's warranty.That has nothing to do with Dinan. Read my post more thoroughly next time.

The following users liked this post:
SnowriderinFl (11-26-2018)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:28 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
I also have a Dinan Sport installed AT my MINI dealer with their express and implied guarantee that it will not affect my factory warranty. Any of these tines are only bringing the power up to what this engine is already producing in BMW applications.
I am very impressed with the extra power and its smooth delivery. I can’t rationalize three times more $$ for the Elite.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by pianoman011
I think that you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am addressing your comment concerning the Mini warranty, not the Dinan Warranty. Mine was installed by the dealer before I purchased the car and my concern was with the Mini warranty being voided. That is what I have in writing concerning the Mini warranty. The dealer will honor the manufacturer's warranty.That has nothing to do with Dinan. Read my post more thoroughly next time.
I'm trying to be as clear as I can, the mini warranty will not cover engine damage that can be linked to the tune just like any other tune. However the dinian warranty kicks in instead. It's always been this way

Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 AM
pianoman011
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
I'm trying to be as clear as I can, the mini warranty will not cover engine damage that can be linked to the tune just like any other tune. However the dinian warranty kicks in instead. It's always been this way
I guess it depends on your dealer, but my dealer said that they would honor the mini warranty regardless. Either way I am covered. I don't know what dealer you use, but I guess it is all subjective.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
the dealer does not get a choice mini is the one who decides, the dealer can advocate for you, but either way the dinian warranty kicks in if mini declines the claim

Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by pianoman011
That sounds like an excellent choice, however, they don't give you a warranty on your engine, and you can't remove the tune if you sell the car. The piggy back modules may not be as good, but if you remove it later you can still sale it and get some of your money back on your investment. Also if the servicing dealer should find out that you opened your ecu, they will most likely void your warranty if it was still under warranty. Just my 2 cents. I am not knocking your tune at all.
My car is over 3 yrs old so there's no more warranty. I waited until then to do the tune. They can actually add a switch that allows you to make it go away so the dealer can't see it, but you gotta pay extra for that. I know, I know everybody worries about voiding the warranty with one of these tunes but I don't think its ever actually happened.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:38 PM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I understand, any approved Dinan installer of the Elite
will guaranty that the recipient is fully protected for the same time
remaining on your Mini Factory Warranty. Many, and I believe most,
are not Mini dealerships but independent shops.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:10 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
My car is over 3 yrs old so there's no more warranty. I waited until then to do the tune. They can actually add a switch that allows you to make it go away so the dealer can't see it, but you gotta pay extra for that. I know, I know everybody worries about voiding the warranty with one of these tunes but I don't think its ever actually happened.
What about an extended warranty for drivetrain coverage? My 2015 JCW has this 7 year warranty and I’m liking what I’m reading about the Dinan Elite. Last time I had a Dinan product was 20 years ago when I bought a 4th generation chip for my ‘88 M5. I suppose I should check with the dealer.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:38 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
What about an extended warranty for drivetrain coverage? My 2015 JCW has this 7 year warranty and I’m liking what I’m reading about the Dinan Elite. Last time I had a Dinan product was 20 years ago when I bought a 4th generation chip for my ‘88 M5. I suppose I should check with the dealer.
Great question. I would PM Dinan to clarify. The info on their site seems to say that the Elite products mirror the original factory warranty period only.

A consideration on a car with a few years and some miles would be the increasing likelihood of component failure. Particularly components that receive extra stress with higher torque and temperatures, like clutches, turbo systems, drive trains, etc. For example, BMW is constantly upgrading their turbo technology and design, so cars even just a few years old often have different components than the newest cars.

It is unlikely that Dinan would replace a blown turbo under an Elite warranty at, say, 60,000 miles and six years of ownership, unless it could be "proven" that the part failed due to an issue with the tuning box.

Which raises the question of value for the Elite over the less-expensive options from Dinan and others when the car is past the original factory warranty period. If one wants the subtle driveability enhancements the Elite claims to offer, the added cost to cover warranty protections that may not be there must still be paid. For some, it's still worth it.

Bottom line, check with Dinan, in writing.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:53 PM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
I remember a few years back when Volvo, of all people, actually
offered an upgrade in power that was similar to Dinan Sport.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Dinan has the warranty page here: https://www.dinancars.com/warranty/ If you want to know about the extended I would give them a call. They are great guys and can help you with that.

They have an elite now just for the JCW guys. Keep a heads up on your MINIs production date as there is a year split in 12/2014.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_Dinantronic_Elite_F54_F57_24989/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
im sure their warranty coverage will not include "extended warranty coverage" , only the original factory warranty period

Old 11-17-2017, 06:20 PM
pianoman011
1st Gear
I just replaced my Dinan sport with the new Elite and I am very happy with the upgrade. I can truly say that the Elite is a lot more potent. If you can afford the Elite I would highly recommend it. It is smooth throughout the entire RPM range. This is the way the car should have come from the factory. No buyers remorse here.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:00 PM
subzero05
2nd Gear
I too have done the swap and very pleased thus . It’s a nice upgrade

Old 11-18-2017, 03:56 AM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
Thanks, guys, for the personal input on The Elite.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by subzero05
I too have done the swap and very pleased thus . It’s a nice upgrade
How much is the Dinan ECU tune? My tune was $500 and well worth it IMO.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:04 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
the elite is 899 retail and comes with the Dinan factory matching warranty

Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
Was told $180 for labor.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:21 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ridgemanron
Was told $180 for labor.
yikes! it can be installed in about 15-20 minutes. do it yourself, it's crazy easy.

does it have to be installed by an "authorized shop" to have the dinan warranty?

Old 11-20-2017, 12:32 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by subzero05
the elite is 899 retail and comes with the Dinan factory matching warranty
Yikes, it's about double what mine was. And I guarantee it's not twice as fast either . So this is a banafide ECU tune not some boost box that clip connects like the JB+, right?

Old 11-20-2017, 12:35 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
WARRANTY!

How many times does it need to be said?

The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
WARRANTY!

Obviously many more times.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
WARRANTY!

Just to piggyback on this (pun totally intended)...

The Dinan Sport limited warranty is a product warranty only. If, during the Dinan warranty period there's a defect with your Dinan Sport, they'll repair/replace the Dinan component only. Dinan Sport products are warranted against material and workmanship defects for a 1-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase of the Dinan. Doesn't matter whether your car is under factory warranty or not. This warranty does not cover any consequential damages (neither parts nor labor) that may be caused as a result of the installation or use of this product.

With the Dinan Elite, if there's a defect with your Dinan Elite, they will repair/replace for the warranty period, which varies and is as follows, depending on the car's factory warranty status:

For cars no longer under factory warranty it's for a 2-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase of the Dinan. Dinan’s warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.

For cars still under factory warranty, the Dinan Elite is covered for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty. The manufacturer’s new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. IN ADDITION, for cars still within their original new car warranty period, the Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer’s component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer.

So it's not always a 4 year warranty for the Elite, and problems with vehicle components that Dinan determines have been directly affected by the Elite, are only covered during the car's original factory warranty period.

So, buying Dinan because they have a good reputation for standing behind their products might make sense. Buying an Elite because there is a possibility of getting a non-Dinan component fixed during the car's factory warranty period that the factory would otherwise not agree to cover... well,
IMHO one buys the Elite because it's a better, more comprehensive, better performing solution. The possibility of an extra layer of warranty protection might have some value for some people. But, remember a warranty is not a guarantee.

Plug a non-factory anything into your car, and it's buyer beware, always.

And, as an aside, the folks at JB and NM Engineering are stand up people who have also, like Dinan, demonstrated interest in keeping their customers satisfied. All of these tuner folks make themselves available to customers at levels that are unusually excellent. Ever try to talk to a senior engineer at Microsoft??? I'm just sayin'....

Last edited by 2017All4; 11-20-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:39 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
WARRANTY!

Ok I get it now, you'll have to excuse me my mom dropped me on me head when I was a baby. So you get about the same thing you can get for about $500 but you pay $900 because there's a warranty you hope you never have to try to use. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Search this Thread