JCW Upgrade To Low Dust Brake Pads

Old 11-02-2017, 07:45 AM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Upgrade To Low Dust Brake Pads

Have heard that the OEM 'Brembo' Pads produce high level of dust.
Want to know if anyone can recommend 'street' pads, made of either
ceramic or any other composition, that are compatible for JCW F57
cars?

Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Replacement brake pads are included when you purchase a new MINI. While the pads can be "dusty", I'd take free over paying for them any day.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
http://www.waymotorworks.com/17-f57-...o-brakes-pads/

Strongly consider the EBC Red Stuff pads
Take a tour thru the vendor directory for other sources too.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 08:40 AM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
On their site they state 'Not For JCW'.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by ridgemanron
On their site they state 'Not For JCW'.
sorry the JCW pads from EBC aren't avail yet.

But we have been using the GLOC pads as the street is lower dust and works well.
http://waymotorworks.com/g-loc-brake...6-f57-jcw.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-07-2017, 11:48 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy
Replacement brake pads are included when you purchase a new MINI. While the pads can be "dusty", I'd take free over paying for them any day.
Fake news. You gotta pay for brakes and tires. Unless they're defective that is.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 AM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Fake news. You gotta pay for brakes and tires. Unless they're defective that is.
That's what I had heard when we were buying our 2 cars recently, I think the Maint. warranty change started with the 2017s, and the 2016s were the last to get the free brake jobs in a Maint. standard package. Not sure how that ties in with the 'Upgraded' MINI Maint. Package that was shown to us at the time of purchase.......
Do you get Warranty Brakes with the expanded, more expensive Maint. Package, or no? We ended up declining it....

Old 12-03-2017, 06:43 PM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got 3x set of free brake pads on my 2016.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey guys, friendly neighborhood Motoring Advisor here.

It's true, brake pads and a few other 'wear items' had been covered under MINI's '3 year 36,000' maintenance package, but this went away in 2017. I myself am here looking for performance brake pads for my JCW. Looks like G-loc and Carbotech are the only two available right now from what I've been able to find.

The following 2 users liked this post by CarFreak427:
bratling (03-24-2018), iwashmycar (02-12-2018)
Old 12-16-2017, 03:33 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFreak427

It's true, brake pads and a few other 'wear items' had been covered under MINI's '3 year 36,000' maintenance package, but this went away in 2017. I myself am here looking for performance brake pads for my JCW. Looks like G-loc and Carbotech are the only two available right now from what I've been able to find.
So glad to have an MA actively participating. Welcome!!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:17 AM
oxtox
6th Gear
oh, I can confirm that pads are not covered for the '17's! i've gone through rear's and my fronts are now throwing a caution light within a year

not sure what the deal with the pads is? i guess we have a paucity of brake pad material to pack in those ginormous brakes in those little wheels? the pads on my cayman and my m3 lasted waaaaay longer and I dove every bit as aggressively.

after reading marcopolo's comments on an earlier thread i am going to try the g-lock's. does anyone know if we have to replace the front brake sensors when repacking the front pads? (i know they have to be replaced when doing the rears).

thanks!

Last edited by oxtox; 12-17-2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 12-17-2017, 04:05 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
The only "Fake News" here is what you are spreading. If you don't get your pads covered, then that is on you. I have had 3 sets of far FOC.

In future check your facts. Kinda like politics.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:24 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy
In future check your facts. Kinda like politics.
Yep, facts and not so factual things!

The Complimentary Scheduled MINI Maintenance program covers all factory-recommended scheduled maintenance services as determined by the Service Interval Indicator for all new eligible model year 2017 and later MINI vehicles. Specific additional items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear are not covered. The maintenance coverage period is for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Exclusions from coverage include: gasoline, gasoline additives, windshield washer fluid, fluid top-offs, battery, tires, wheels, wheel alignment, wear and tear items such as brake pads, brake rotors, wiper blades, clutches and tire balancing. All work must be performed by an authorized MINI Dealer. See the Service and Warranty Information booklet for specific terms, conditions and limitations. Further information can also be obtained from your authorized MINI Dealer.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:29 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
thank you mooch, you responded nicer than I would have. anyhoo, I can also confirm that you have to buy the sensor when replacing the pads as they are "one time use only."

.....if you have a '17 or later, or are out of warranty

Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
So glad to have an MA actively participating. Welcome!!
Happy to be here!

If you are able to get your front pads replaced quickly after it shows that they are due soon, you can avoid replacing the wear sensor. I just replaced mine last night (which was easier than I was expecting) and my wear sensor had just barely been cut, and therefore didn't let me reset my service interval. If I had done this a few hundred miles sooner, I could have spared the expense. I'll be putting a new sensor on today.

Oxtox, did you manage to wear through your rear pads before the fronts?

Old 12-20-2017, 09:22 AM
oxtox
6th Gear
Oxtox, did you manage to wear through your rear pads before the fronts?
That is correct. I don't get it either...but replacing the fronts and rears at 19k (street only) miles seems weird. I was told it's because there's 3mm less pad material vs the bmw pads. I'm hoping the g-locks last longer than the oem, I'm pretty sure they'll throw less dust.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:14 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Is there any chance that your parking brake is ever so slightly engaged and needing adjustment?

Either that, or you've been practicing your handbrake-turn parallel parking maneuver.

oxtox (12-21-2017)
Old 01-25-2018, 05:45 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
I've had the GLOC front pads for a couple of weeks now. They were less expensive than OEM or Carbotech's. **Be aware that they are made to order and can take 2-4 weeks for delivery. The "good news" was that there was a decent amount of pad left after my front brake pad indicator light came on. Install was no problem. The usual bedding process went smoothly. Initial impressions: Nice modular feel. Took me a week to get used to it, but I like the feel/modulation vs. OEM. Less dust than OEM (not a surprise). So at this point I would recommend them. Will update with any issues.

Last edited by oxtox; 09-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.
CarFreak427 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:06 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Did you ever find out why your rears wore out before the fronts? Glad to hear you like the GLOCs. What compound did you get?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 AM
elsnaibs
2nd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 2017 JCW and have already had the brake pads replaced under my 6 year maintenance warranty once. This must have happened later in 2017 than when I picked up mine.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:59 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Did you ever find out why your rears wore out before the fronts? Glad to hear you like the GLOCs. What compound did you get?
No, but I now obsessively check the e-brake to make sure it's completely down

I got the GS1 (street) compound. Still highly recommended

Old 03-14-2018, 12:26 PM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Corner Brake Control

Originally Posted by oxtox
No, but I now obsessively check the e-brake to make sure it's completely down

I have an update for you!

After my front brakes reached their '0 miles until due' at exactly 10,000 miles, my rear pads just alerted me that they will be due at about 14,000 miles. While talking to my parts manager, he recalled that when the F56 first came out in 2014, it was fairly common to see a car in for rear brakes before fronts, and not specifically the JCW either.

Remember the list of acronyms that MINI says are integrated into the stability control systems of the F56? Among DTC, DSC and ABS, there's CBC which stands for Corner Brake Control. MINI says that the system "Balances braking pressure throughout all four wheels as you tackle sharp corners - helping you maintain control". In real world driving, what this translates to is mainly an automated engagement of the brakes at the rear of the car on the inside of the turn, which helps reduce understeer, and thus wears more on the rear pads than what would be typical.

Personally, I could feel this happen when I go crazy in the turn, but ever since I put the Eibach sway bar kit on, I've never felt the car do it since. The sway bars eliminated my understeer, and any sliding that happens is equal between the front and rear, sliding straight sideways once I pass the limit of grip instead of pushing wide at the front. 10/10 would recommend to anyone who likes to go fast.

So there's my theory as to why your rear brakes wore out before your fronts. Personally, I think I wore my fronts out first because before I put the sway bars on, I would always drive right at the limit of the car's natural mechanical grip around corners, and the CBC seemed to kick in once you actually started to do some major understeer to pull you back in line, which I tried to avoid. Unfortunately the CBC, while it is a very cool piece of tech, is not defeatable.

oxtox (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 AM
oxtox
6th Gear
Thak you!
That is interestesting.....
And by coincidence, I pretty much always drive with dsc off now and sometimes dtc off It just drives so much better. Sway bar is my next mod, so I'm glad to hear you like yours

and back to the topic... I'm still liking the g-loc pads! there is definitely less dust.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:37 PM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oxtox
oh, I can confirm that pads are not covered for the '17's! i've gone through rear's and my fronts are now throwing a caution light within a year

not sure what the deal with the pads is? i guess we have a paucity of brake pad material to pack in those ginormous brakes in those little wheels? the pads on my cayman and my m3 lasted waaaaay longer and I dove every bit as aggressively.

after reading marcopolo's comments on an earlier thread i am going to try the g-lock's. does anyone know if we have to replace the front brake sensors when repacking the front pads? (i know they have to be replaced when doing the rears).

thanks!
I had 3x sets replaced for free on my 2016. FYI. Now that I'm replacing the pads. BMW sensors kick on about half wear depth. You can cut and reconnect the sensor wire and wait until the squeal sensors kick in. Y

Old 03-24-2018, 03:49 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Originally Posted by theblackfalcon
I had 3x sets replaced for free on my 2016. FYI. Now that I'm replacing the pads. BMW sensors kick on about half wear depth. You can cut and reconnect the sensor wire and wait until the squeal sensors kick in. Y
good on you for buying a '16

Search this Thread