Dinan Elite on F54 - Page 2 - North American Motoring

Dinan Elite on F54

Old 10-07-2017, 11:20 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriuszero View Post
Just installed mine on my F54 this morning right before I had to go to work so I didn't really get to put it through its paces. I had the NM Eng module before (which found a good home with a fellow MINI Clubman owner) that I used on HIGH so my comparisons are based on that.

Initial observations:
- Install was easy, especially if you've installed a tuning module before - it's just two extra connections and some wire management, which is easy with the zip ties included. Mounting is easier on a F54 as the battery compartment has a hard plastic top instead of the felt material on the F56/F55/F57, making the locking velcro type strips easier to stick.

- Didn't notice the kind of grunt power the NM Eng module had on HIGH, but the power delivery was much smoother. The air box was much more chatty too. My guess is that there is some adjustment time as it didn't really feel faster out of the gate.

- Watch where those connectors end up after installing. I neglected to tie one down properly and when I went to start my car, I was greeted by a horrible grinding noise that I quickly discovered was from one of the connectors hitting the front fan. Oops. Zip Zip and fixed.

- No check engine lights, but I was very careful to follow instructions regarding opening the hood, locking the doors, giving the computers time to go to sleep, and keeping the key far away from the car so it wouldn't wake. I did not, however disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.

I'll post more impressions and pictures as I drive it a little more!
Thanks for the install tips. The directions I got from Dinan online say to unlock car - open hood and trunk - close the doors - and move the key out of range, as well as disconnect the negative terminal. They don't say to lock the car. Just wondering if that matters.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:35 AM
6th Gear

Good numbers 123, but KYDan and his JCW is getting 271 with his NM. Could be the difference in dyno though. Pedro (supermini) got 267 with the JCW Kit + NM (same as my car). Again, it could be the different dyno that accounts for the varied readings. I guess the best option for me would be to dyno my car as is and then install an Elite and dyno that combination. This is not economically feasible at the moment though because the $900 for the Elite is bad enough, but add to that the two separate dyno sessions...... it all adds up to more than I want to spend at the moment. Christmas is too close. Now if Dinan wanted to lend me an Elite for testing I would foot the dyno bills and if it proved superior to the NM I would be glad to purchase it at that time. But, if I had to buy one to test and found out it was in fact inferior to the NM in power production, I would be stuck with trying to recoup the nine bills by selling a used item.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:22 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfmuller View Post
Thanks for the install tips. The directions I got from Dinan online say to unlock car - open hood and trunk - close the doors - and move the key out of range, as well as disconnect the negative terminal. They don't say to lock the car. Just wondering if that matters.
Yep, sorry. I meant unlock
Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Yep, sorry. I meant unlock
No problem. Just glad you mentioned you didn't disconnect the negative battery terminal with no ill effects.

I never disconnected the battery when installing or removing the NM Power Module, and I've never thrown any codes, so I really didn't want to mess with it for this install, either.

Looking forward to getting this on tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:45 PM
4th Gear

Install was easy. Used lots of zip ties. Power seems great, bug I really can't give an opinion between this and the NM Power module I previously had on the car. In any case, the car is fast as shiiiiiit. So I'm a fan of all the piggy-back boxes.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfmuller View Post
Install was easy. Used lots of zip ties. Power seems great, bug I really can't give an opinion between this and the NM Power module I previously had on the car. In any case, the car is fast as shiiiiiit. So I'm a fan of all the piggy-back boxes.
Drive around a bit more and you will find more usable power around 3k rpm and up and power comes very predictable. Enjoy it!
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2three_us View Post
Drive around a bit more and you will find more usable power around 3k rpm and up and power comes very predictable. Enjoy it!
Took it for nice highway drive to work today. The power is very smooth throughout, and the car is very fast.

I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

Are you guys running the new version that is optimised for the JCW? Dinan Elite model: D440-0056
Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear

I had the newer JCW version Elite installed yesterday on my JCW Clubman. I can definitely feel the difference. It is very smooth. In two weeks, heading to the Smoky Mountains for some runs and will find out how much of a "subjective" difference it makes.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:29 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimaki View Post
Are you guys running the new version that is optimised for the JCW? Dinan Elite model: D440-0056
I did the latest one that says it is for 12/2014> JCW models.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 PM
6th Gear

Now that I've had it for about a week, I'm quite happy with the purchase. Power is consistent and predictable throughout the power band which makes passing people at freeway speeds even more fun.

Worth the upgrade for me
Old 10-12-2017, 01:07 PM
6th Gear

How does it compare to the NM? I see you still have that in your signature.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Now that I've had it for about a week, I'm quite happy with the purchase. Power is consistent and predictable throughout the power band which makes passing people at freeway speeds even more fun.

Worth the upgrade for me
So glade to hear that you like it. I was one of those who always [email protected] peak hp only, never looked at weather power was being delivered linear and predictable or not until I have the Elite installed. Now this is how it should be from the manufacture!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:53 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2three_us View Post
So glade to hear that you like it. I was one of those who always [email protected] peak hp only, never looked at weather power was being delivered linear and predictable or not until I have the Elite installed. Now this is how it should be from the manufacture!
Yes! I think that's what I love most about it - it feels like it came from the factory.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

I would love to compare this to my JB4, Dinan want to send me a test unit for an in-depth comparison to a JB4?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentiles View Post
I would love to compare this to my JB4, Dinan want to send me a test unit for an in-depth comparison to a JB4?
Good luck with that. In post #27 I offered to do a dyno (at my expense) comparison with my NM if they would supply the Elite for testing purposes. Even said I would buy it if it really proved to be the superior product. Phones been ringing off the hook!!!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Neutral

Does Dinan do the holiday sales? Maybe I'll pick this up around Christmas.