JCW Dinan Elite on F54

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 11:20 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Just installed mine on my F54 this morning right before I had to go to work so I didn't really get to put it through its paces. I had the NM Eng module before (which found a good home with a fellow MINI Clubman owner) that I used on HIGH so my comparisons are based on that.

Initial observations:
- Install was easy, especially if you've installed a tuning module before - it's just two extra connections and some wire management, which is easy with the zip ties included. Mounting is easier on a F54 as the battery compartment has a hard plastic top instead of the felt material on the F56/F55/F57, making the locking velcro type strips easier to stick.

- Didn't notice the kind of grunt power the NM Eng module had on HIGH, but the power delivery was much smoother. The air box was much more chatty too. My guess is that there is some adjustment time as it didn't really feel faster out of the gate.

- Watch where those connectors end up after installing. I neglected to tie one down properly and when I went to start my car, I was greeted by a horrible grinding noise that I quickly discovered was from one of the connectors hitting the front fan. Oops. Zip Zip and fixed.

- No check engine lights, but I was very careful to follow instructions regarding opening the hood, locking the doors, giving the computers time to go to sleep, and keeping the key far away from the car so it wouldn't wake. I did not, however disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.

I'll post more impressions and pictures as I drive it a little more!
Thanks for the install tips. The directions I got from Dinan online say to unlock car - open hood and trunk - close the doors - and move the key out of range, as well as disconnect the negative terminal. They don't say to lock the car. Just wondering if that matters.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:35 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Good numbers 123, but KYDan and his JCW is getting 271 with his NM. Could be the difference in dyno though. Pedro (supermini) got 267 with the JCW Kit + NM (same as my car). Again, it could be the different dyno that accounts for the varied readings. I guess the best option for me would be to dyno my car as is and then install an Elite and dyno that combination. This is not economically feasible at the moment though because the $900 for the Elite is bad enough, but add to that the two separate dyno sessions...... it all adds up to more than I want to spend at the moment. Christmas is too close. Now if Dinan wanted to lend me an Elite for testing I would foot the dyno bills and if it proved superior to the NM I would be glad to purchase it at that time. But, if I had to buy one to test and found out it was in fact inferior to the NM in power production, I would be stuck with trying to recoup the nine bills by selling a used item.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:22 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Thanks for the install tips. The directions I got from Dinan online say to unlock car - open hood and trunk - close the doors - and move the key out of range, as well as disconnect the negative terminal. They don't say to lock the car. Just wondering if that matters.
Yep, sorry. I meant unlock

Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Yep, sorry. I meant unlock
No problem. Just glad you mentioned you didn't disconnect the negative battery terminal with no ill effects.

I never disconnected the battery when installing or removing the NM Power Module, and I've never thrown any codes, so I really didn't want to mess with it for this install, either.

Looking forward to getting this on tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:45 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Install was easy. Used lots of zip ties. Power seems great, bug I really can't give an opinion between this and the NM Power module I previously had on the car. In any case, the car is fast as shiiiiiit. So I'm a fan of all the piggy-back boxes.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:13 PM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Install was easy. Used lots of zip ties. Power seems great, bug I really can't give an opinion between this and the NM Power module I previously had on the car. In any case, the car is fast as shiiiiiit. So I'm a fan of all the piggy-back boxes.
Drive around a bit more and you will find more usable power around 3k rpm and up and power comes very predictable. Enjoy it!

Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by one2three_us
Drive around a bit more and you will find more usable power around 3k rpm and up and power comes very predictable. Enjoy it!
Took it for nice highway drive to work today. The power is very smooth throughout, and the car is very fast.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:21 AM
Mimaki
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you guys running the new version that is optimised for the JCW? Dinan Elite model: D440-0056

Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM
dscabrio
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the newer JCW version Elite installed yesterday on my JCW Clubman. I can definitely feel the difference. It is very smooth. In two weeks, heading to the Smoky Mountains for some runs and will find out how much of a "subjective" difference it makes.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:29 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mimaki
Are you guys running the new version that is optimised for the JCW? Dinan Elite model: D440-0056
I did the latest one that says it is for 12/2014> JCW models.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Now that I've had it for about a week, I'm quite happy with the purchase. Power is consistent and predictable throughout the power band which makes passing people at freeway speeds even more fun.

Worth the upgrade for me

Old 10-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
How does it compare to the NM? I see you still have that in your signature.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Now that I've had it for about a week, I'm quite happy with the purchase. Power is consistent and predictable throughout the power band which makes passing people at freeway speeds even more fun.

Worth the upgrade for me
So glade to hear that you like it. I was one of those who always chase@ peak hp only, never looked at weather power was being delivered linear and predictable or not until I have the Elite installed. Now this is how it should be from the manufacture!

Old 10-12-2017, 03:53 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by one2three_us
So glade to hear that you like it. I was one of those who always chase@ peak hp only, never looked at weather power was being delivered linear and predictable or not until I have the Elite installed. Now this is how it should be from the manufacture!
Yes! I think that's what I love most about it - it feels like it came from the factory.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I would love to compare this to my JB4, Dinan want to send me a test unit for an in-depth comparison to a JB4?

Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by trentiles
I would love to compare this to my JB4, Dinan want to send me a test unit for an in-depth comparison to a JB4?
Good luck with that. In post #27 I offered to do a dyno (at my expense) comparison with my NM if they would supply the Elite for testing purposes. Even said I would buy it if it really proved to be the superior product. Phones been ringing off the hook!!!

Old 10-13-2017, 06:44 PM
stahlee
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Dinan do the holiday sales? Maybe I'll pick this up around Christmas.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 PM
Pavlov kd
Neutral
F54 non jcw s b46 elite tuner and oper air cai

this should’ve been posted in the non jcw area- sorryi installed mine yesterday and it’s really nice. Smooth all around without any inconsistent turbo surge or areas of less power. The exhaust low tone burps between shifts and the turbo noises are really nice. The bpv seems to work with more intensity. I removed the engine cover and have an intake with active sound off. Before the elite, the cai alone made sucking/hissing way more pronounced than stock and the bpv noises became really apparent. With the elite, all of this is more focused. The hissing from the filter comes in first, at mid to top of the gear, the turbo whistles. Not obnoxious either but definitely can hear it. The the bpv at load really sounds a bit more like a bov. With just the filter, it sounds similar to bubbling pressure cooker.

(Pls keep in mind, our F54 is a station wagon, however small and my performance opinions are based upon this opinion) regarding power and acceleration: wow! Mind you, I have an automatic. It’s fast off the line and really fast passing cars now with pedal feel being that the car needs very little input from me to get going. It makes the car feel extremely light. Off the line, it takes of and shifts from 1st to 2nd in a blink (at about 40mph) and unlike a manual, I’m not winding up the car- hold the brake, mash the gas pedal and go! Enough tire slip noise to know there’s plenty of power but not enough to hurt the launch. The oem run flat aren’t very good. Torque steer is def there now but it’s also 15 degrees here. However, it’s very manageable.

I’m very happy with the elite and have no qualms about the cost to benefit ratio or comparisons to other good tuner products. For me, peace of mind down the road is worth more than saving a few hundred bucks today. ( a few dinners out with the family? Really?)

Installation took about 40 minutes tops with careful routing and securing connectors. I lost the lock tab on the tmap because it was 22 degrees out. Other than that, there weren’t any hitches. Even without the pdf, layout the harness- big square plug matches with square female on the box, 4 wire connecter to tmap (before throttle body), middle connector to map (center front beneath the canister purge solenoid) and last conn to the fuel rail sensor. If getting it installed is your choice, the paper in the box says 1 hour of labor.

I was was disappointed about not having a Bluetooth app but after finding out it only does map 1 or stock, it’s a non issue. I’m sure Dinan are hard at work even with their coming move with scheduled upgrades and functionality. It would be totally cool to have gauges! Boost, water temp, oil pressure, afr- read codes!

On a final note; imho, I agree with one of the above posters, that the sport mid modes on the mini are kinda wasted. I’d love to have the steering of sport mode all the time and the sport gearbox setting when I shift over to sport manual on the automatic gear ****. Non jcw’s don’t have a flap and popping sounds are , I think, from leaning out the fuel, I haven’t noticed more or less but the exhaust note seems a bit deeper and richer in the stock muffler- I put porsche 911 tips (the oem Rounds stain pretty bad) from ebay on mine and they fit the oem bumper indents perfectly - at least until Dinan makes a free flow for the F54-S!

Thanks to Dinan for offering this product for our mini’s and thanks also to Brandon for suggesting i look into it.

Last edited by Pavlov kd; 02-22-2018 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong area
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (03-19-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:15 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by Pavlov kd

I agree with one of the above posters, that the sport mid modes on the mini are kinda wasted.
Does this mean you drive it in green mode all the time?

Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 PM
galahad
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So I've had the Elite since last September. Interesting to see everyone elses take on it since then. I don't regret the purchase, but I can't say I'd do it again either. It's been problem free, it'll go back to the dealer for the second oil change soon, I wonder if they will say anything about it.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by galahad
So I've had the Elite since last September. Interesting to see everyone elses take on it since then. I don't regret the purchase, but I can't say I'd do it again either. It's been problem free, it'll go back to the dealer for the second oil change soon, I wonder if they will say anything about it.
I am probably going to get it this year...I was wondering why you said you wouldn’t get it again?

Old 03-12-2018, 05:30 PM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Had mine in 3-4 mos and been happy with it - no issues and smooth power throughout the entire rpm band . Dealer installed mine and had no issues doing it

Old 03-13-2018, 05:00 AM
galahad
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Masada - As I said, I don't regret the purchase, as I haven't had any issues with it. To my knowledge it has done what it said it would do. However I don't feel that it changed the car in a significant way. If I went back to stock I may notice the degradation more than I notice the improvement. I haven't added something like this before, so I don't have other products to compare this experience to, but $900 is not an insignificant amount of money and I am not sure I'd spend it again.

I loved the car before, and still love it after the Elite.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:57 AM
Pavlov kd
Neutral
D elite CEL and install comment

op, the elite is awesome and the warranty also, the jb4 is amazing and gives more functionality. Gauges, code checking and clearing in the fly and flexibility for future upgrades. I will agree that the peace of mind the elite provides is awesome however, imho, adding any tuner or mod will increase the likelyhood of a cel or code turning on, even with the elite. It may be wise to at least invest in a code reader/ clear

Also, a boost gauge/device that is oem or obd2 connected should be wrong because that’s what the ecu/dme is reading or at least what the tuner is Sending to the ecu. Actual boost should be higher.

Imho, The jcw retrofit on the s model upgrade tune and exhaust seem pretty lame because the elite plus exhaust is about the same cost with a lot more gains. The jcw edition has a lot additions plus the b48 motor if that’s important to you but also has ALL4- which I don’t care for. If you go the jb4 route, it’s only about 150 bucks cheaper than the elite minus warranty because you still need/should get the Bluetooth add on and app. -however, the jb4 offers ALOT of features that perhaps Dinan can’t provide due to warranty restrictions? Idk, but I’m pretty certain bmw/mini don’t want owners scaling boost maps.

Last edited by Pavlov kd; 03-19-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-13-2018, 01:01 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
If the Elite is a true ECU Tune then why all the zip ties and stuff? My tune involved the dude connecting his stuff to my ECU and changing the tune. BAM! It's way faster than it was, and it was pretty fast already. I did wait until my warranty ran out, but no CELs or anything has happened. I just wondered how this Dinan tune differs from mine.

Quick Reply: JCW Dinan Elite on F54