JCW Omfg! MINI JCW GP3 Concept

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Just read an old article the GP2 (2013) and the stated that the GP was 9,000 more than the JCW (31,000 loaded). So for a 2018 JCW around 38,500, the GP3 should run about 50,000 at the same 30% rate over the JCW. I would still want it over an over priced SUV or as MINI calls them SAV.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:00 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SFMCS
Just read an old article the GP2 (2013) and the stated that the GP was 9,000 more than the JCW (31,000 loaded). So for a 2018 JCW around 38,500, the GP3 should run about 50,000 at the same 30% rate over the JCW. I would still want it over an over priced SUV or as MINI calls them SAV.
But now you're close to M2 money, which most people acknowledge is the best M car BMW make.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:17 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
I wonder if it will have a genuine dipstick? That is my biggest gripe with the current JCW!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
BMW's don't have dipstick either.. or atleast my wife's 1 series doesn't..

Unless MINI upgrades the JCW model at the same time, which in turn would up the cost of it to match this new bodywork, this car will cost more then $9000 over it.. BUT if they do make this car I bet it doesn't have all that funky bodywork, for the street atleast... Time will tell..

Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Yes, it will, I personally like the body work that they show in the internet promos. I did notice that it will be offered with 250 hp stock. Configured the way they show it it should be able to handle 300 easily enough. I think I read somewhere that they were targeting $40,000 base price. It would not take much to get it to $50,000.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I need to drive a F model JCW and see how they handle compared to my Gen1 before I break my piggy bank.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I have never driven a Gen 1 mini, but I bet they are a real hoot! Definitely more go kart in them than the new ones. I had an R series JCW and loved it. It was nimble and quick, but tended to be a little darty at high speeds. The F series lost the nimbleness of the R, but made up for it with high speed handling, roominess inside and incredible power. Stock JCW with the B48 is 231 HP and cruises comfortably at 110 +. I have the JCW PRO exhaust and that gave me an 8HP bump, then I added an NM Engineering module (easy plug n' play) and that upped it to 271. With 18" wheels the handling is smooth and crisp and handles higher speeds that the 17" standard wheels. It is more BMW now than mini in feel and performance, but it is still a great track and twisty car. I guess if you can afford and want a stable, you could try for one of each series and have the best of all driving worlds! I have never been a fan of the BMW style, but they build a great car.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:24 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
MINI USA released a YouTube ad yesterday on the new JCW GP. While the title has GP in it, the ad does not have GP in it. Interesting. Here's the link:

Old 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
I have perused around the web a lot lately trying to determine if there is a planned release date for them, but I have not found any useful information. I even sent the dealership where I purchased my last two JCWs if they have any information about it, but I have not heard anything from them. Sort of odd as the spam me almost daily with ads!

Old 09-16-2017, 03:09 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Its been posted all over, this thing is crazy and hope it makes production. Let's hope a 300HP + MINI.
I see this as follow,

"For a few", and its clip ist quite ambitious ! If MINI would not perform that way as imposted, I am gone !

What I see is a stripped standard cell, the interior builds around the original dashboard, the fitted cage with the molded side cover is very nice, but only if it includes a FIA conform safety cage. Otherwise thats 40 kgs more !

Coming to the outside, if these Rocket Bunny skirts justify the "Cap Future" look, thumbs up. The riveted classical approach is appreciated, like a sixty garage upgrade.

But that must work aerodynamical very well, otherwise I see no reason becoming a possible track clown.

So the final question whats under the hood ? to fulfill their statement, that must be massive, otherwise I see difficulties.

There must be many weight savers - Doors, lid, hood, windows, to allow such announcements !

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 09-16-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:28 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
By the way if this car never face a benchmark , even if it stays a concept, and proves its claim, I would find that very poor. like the fake hood ;-)

Old 09-16-2017, 05:39 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Well, the plan worked it has us reading, dreaming, and talking about it and that is what they want. I like it and if I am going to buy it they, BMW, will have to give me a reason to. I like the idea and the style, but performance is the critical factory. I am pleased with my current JCW, but if the handling mirrors the performance and it is a tight turning, good handling, mini beastie I will buy one. It's not for everyone, but I sure would like to try one in some good twisties.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:33 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
:Don't misunderstand me, the shown concept is exact what I wrote 5 year ago :thumbsup

I always strongly admit my wish for such a JCW special. The concept is a 100% touring car, tailored with FIA conform features like a race tank system, if it comes with a road registration like that as well, Iam your *****.

By the same time I fear that this good will, accompanied from true MINI fans inside, could be an illusion, because the benchmark is the performance.

7,43 set by Honda is to beat.

However if they really offer basically a WTCC Car with road registration, that would be a beautiful widow maker

Old 09-16-2017, 06:56 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Yes, it lit my fire, I have tweaked my F56 JCW enough to keep me content performance-wise and since we ordered this one with some over the top features (Literally, as it has the blackjack roof.) It is sort of uniquely ours and with the performance tweaks it is a great car in the twisties as well as a reasonably comforting touring automobile. We do backroads all the way to and from North Carolina and Tennessee and those wonderful mountain Roads. The F series is the best mini to-date and hopefully this will be the "true" flagship of the series. When we had the R56 JCW we loved it, but the GP did not really offer us much, particularly the color scheme and bland styling. This concept is way over the top and if they can make it a truly spectacular performer (And, with B48 engine there is terrific potential!) they will sell them quickly. We have already if they do we are purchasing one.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
I see this as follow,

"For a few", and its clip ist quite ambitious ! If MINI would not perform that way as imposted, I am gone !

What I see is a stripped standard cell, the interior builds around the original dashboard, the fitted cage with the molded side cover is very nice, but only if it includes a FIA conform safety cage. Otherwise thats 40 kgs more !

Coming to the outside, if these Rocket Bunny skirts justify the "Cap Future" look, thumbs up. The riveted classical approach is appreciated, like a sixty garage upgrade.

But that must work aerodynamical very well, otherwise I see no reason becoming a possible track clown.

So the final question whats under the hood ? to fulfill their statement, that must be massive, otherwise I see difficulties.

There must be many weight savers - Doors, lid, hood, windows, to allow such announcements !
Did you get to see it in person yet over there?

I hope it comes to NAIAS so i can see it in person. Then it should shed light on what it looks like in person.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-19-2017, 04:25 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Did you get to see it in person yet over there?

I hope it comes to NAIAS so i can see it in person. Then it should shed light on what it looks like in person.
I don't think i make my way to Frankfurt, but maybe. But even than you stand behind the the ropes sowhat ?

The excellent presentation from MINI shows many hints. Its a stock cell with a new front & rear cover section. The black band swapped against air skirts. With their "3D what have you ?" possibilities I would at least have given that rear spoiler a active function. But it seems that the hood is now having a real snorkel.

Here the competition aerodynamic shaped as well.

Attached Thumbnails Omfg! MINI JCW GP3 Concept-screen-shot-2017-07-18-at-07.52.16.png  
Old 09-19-2017, 05:48 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Yes, it lit my fire, but unless they produce something spectacular such as the concept I won't bite and buy one. The concept is lovely, but form follows function and doodads for appearance only won't make me go for it. I never really cared for the GP series appearance as they were only available in gray (not really a color that works for me) and red. They were excellent handling cars, but with tweaks a colorful JCW could be just as good a performer and you can color them anyway you want.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:10 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
With 18" wheels the handling is smooth and crisp and handles higher speeds that the 17" standard wheels.

The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (02-06-2019)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
here is a concept you can buy, but the "few" will certainly be in that league as well even don't having such an 100% working rear spoiler

Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Decent enough, but it does not grab me like the mini concept does, style is a big deal as I/we really don't track much anymore. I still do a lot of twisties as we have some decent ones relatively close, less than 20 miles from home, and some fantastic ones a one day drive from home and we do a lot of the mini events in the area.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KYDan
Decent enough, but it does not grab me like the mini concept does, style is a big deal as I/we really don't track much anymore. I still do a lot of twisties as we have some decent ones relatively close, less than 20 miles from home, and some fantastic ones a one day drive from home and we do a lot of the mini events in the area.
The Golf is neither my cup of tea, anyhow you can see what a proper 2.0 turbo with optimised airflow and heat exchangers plus suspension from true professionals look like.

I still hope the wider track of the concept, caters a 4WD Hybrid Humiliation concept as well.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the LCD instrument display.

Is there an aftermarket plug and play LCD or analog display that has a larger tach? (preferably in the center of the display)

Old 09-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by toyopet
I like the LCD instrument display.

Is there an aftermarket plug and play LCD or analog display that has a larger tach? (preferably in the center of the display)
The instruments of the concept look very nice, even the dashboard show HUD, me as a "Gramm counter"would prefer either one of those.

My Navdy HUD is still unmatched, lighter and smarter.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
We drove the mini JCWs at the Indianapolis Speedway a couple of years ago and they had the HUD which I didn't like, hard to see and "cheesy" so I ordered the chrono pack instead, it really isn't all that great either as both are really a distraction in twisties at speed, I really rely more upon engine sound. I have windscreen projection displays in my other cars that are much better and directly below my primary line of sight with programmable information for them that even includes some major tracks.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
My Navdy HUD is still unmatched, lighter and smarter.

Quick Reply: JCW Omfg! MINI JCW GP3 Concept