JCW Omfg! MINI JCW GP3 Concept

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:26 AM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Vetsvette,

just wonder if you take your Navdy off when on track?

Old 09-23-2017, 02:16 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Only time I've taken it off was as a precaution when the temps were in the high 90's and it was going to be left in direct sunlight for an extended period of time. It has a temperature sensor and will shut itself off if the unit gets too hot. Hasn't happened to me yet. With the magnetic mounting system it's not going anywhere even during extreme maneuvers. If you're in an area where there's a chance of someone wanting it more than you, it's as easy to remove as picking up your cell phone.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:34 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 10-02-2017, 08:22 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Yes, I had already read the article and it was somewhat disappointing. The HP is nice, but I am already there with my tuned JCW. I wanted a good looking, unique track/street car. I may still go for it, but I will have to view the finished product first. I may keep the current mini and opt for another brand sportster.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
Yes, I had already read the article and it was somewhat disappointing. The HP is nice, but I am already there with my tuned JCW. I wanted a good looking, unique track/street car. I may still go for it, but I will have to view the finished product first. I may keep the current mini and opt for another brand sportster.
When i read it, i said to myself that not normal, they do it again !
You right your JCW, my Cooper might be quicker than that allreaday

Attached Thumbnails Omfg! MINI JCW GP3 Concept-collage.png  
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Be interesting to see how much of this car makes it to the street. It mentions the street car will have carpet, but what that splitter, extra body panels, roll bars, wheels etc... Should be pretty quick and imagine what it might be with some basic mods and tweaking of the ECU

Old 10-03-2017, 05:51 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
It is still the same engine that is in the current S and JCW. It can be tweaked to 300 HP. But, they have already issued a disclaimer about the body styling. Time will tell what it will be. During the F series they have dropped a lot of standard items offered in the past and added them in various packages without really publicizing it. When I ordered my F series I was not aware that the rear power socket and the netting were no longer standard, but had to be ordered as a separate package, and that the armrest was now an option. I was aware the not so secret compartment was no longer available and there were several others as well.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:57 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
...the netting were no longer standard...
Yeah, when I took delivery I bitched about the lack of netting (amongst other things). My MA said that it wasn't standard anymore and I calmly told him for the amount of money I spent on the car they could go into the parts dept and get me one... Which they did.

I am awaiting the day when you order and one of the charged options is:

Engine
Steering Wheel
Oxygen

Old 10-04-2017, 07:15 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I love the car, but there marketing plan really is the pits. They manage to make everyone angry, by dropping formerly standard goodies and putting them in packages with other options that you may not want. Just another way to increase profits and offering a better base price point. This is commonly referred to R.I.S.E. in retail. Related Item Sales Effort.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:25 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I love the car, but there marketing plan really is the pits. They manage to make everyone angry, by dropping formerly standard goodies and putting them in packages with other options that you may not want. Just another way to increase profits and offering a better base price point. This is commonly referred to R.I.S.E. in retail. Related Item Sales Effort.
Yes indeed, I'm so happy I bought a 2015 JCW as I was able to pick & choose options & I have the driver side visor as well as the secret compartment! I still sort of regret not getting the CD player but I would have had to spec the visual boost & all I wanted was the radio....If I just had a dipstick I couldn't ask for more! LOL!

Old 10-05-2017, 05:46 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
I ordered a 16 and they stole the dipstick, the secret compartment, the cargo net, and rear power outlet, and raised the price, but still produced a marvelously wonderful go fast toy!

Old 10-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Patrick Walker
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it breaks a 4 second 0-60 It would secure down payment from me today.

I have been all over what I want my next car to be (3 time mini owner). Even tried to get a demon but in the end, meh it is still a dodge. And I do not want to be another rich guy with an enlarged prostate driving a Porsche.

Love my current JCW, looks mean. But in the end it should have been a 5 second 0-60 not a 6 when they built it. They need to let the mini ponies out of the stable on this concept car. PLEASE.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:17 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
If it breaks a 4 second 0-60 It would secure down payment from me today.
Interesting statement .... what difference does it make. Maybe I'm getting old (true), but I find the stock JCW acceleration to be more than adequate in normal driving. I own cars that are objectively quicker than the JCW and I seldom use the capability. In real world driving, the MINI is pretty tough to beat.

FWIW, I have raced sports cars for years and the fastest is not always the quickest. Just saying ... the JCW is a pretty sweet package.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:21 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rtowell
Interesting statement .... what difference does it make. Maybe I'm getting old (true), but I find the stock JCW acceleration to be more than adequate in normal driving. I own cars that are objectively quicker than the JCW and I seldom use the capability. In real world driving, the MINI is pretty tough to beat.

FWIW, I have raced sports cars for years and the fastest is not always the quickest. Just saying ... the JCW is a pretty sweet package.
True statement, I have a C7 Z06 that has blazing speed and incredible acceleration, but my favorite car to drive is the mini!

Old 10-06-2017, 10:43 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
All this is well and good, but there's still no reason for them to basically de-tune this motor for the Mini. IMO, and no one is gonna change it, there is no such thing as too much when it comes to HP, beer, and money. Can't remember a car I've owned in the last 50+ years of driving that I thought to myself... "Well, this things got all the power I'll ever need, so I'll just leave it alone." On the contrary, I spent a lot of time working overtime and part time second jobs so I could afford more of the first two things. Darn wife and kids fault if you ask me. That and the anemic flat head V8 in my first car ('49 Mercury).

Old 10-07-2017, 04:01 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
There is personal truth in all these statements regarding power, speed, and capability. If I were 40 years old I should more capable of handling more speed and power than I can now and perhaps I would want more manageable power. My current mini is producing 271 hp and 280+ foot pounds of torque which for most of my applications is more than adequate. It is a very comfortable blend for the car as it is configured. If I put more money into modifications it could handle mower power, however, at what cost? I am not speaking of monetary cost, but rather quality of ride, noise, etc. It is a really good match for my driving style and wants as it is. Compromise and trade offs occur based upon what we as the owner/driver of the auto want. I am going to try some 100 octane fuel for the upcoming events for the mini and see what the butt dyno has to say about that and the module set to high. I may become addicted to the increase in power. But, at what cost? The C7 already has more performance capability than I can effectively control, 170 is about top speed that I am comfortable with in the car except maybe in a shootout type of event on a long runway of sorts and that would be fun just to determine how fast I can go in a straight line. The F56 is a great, capable, fun mobile straight from the show room, that allows us to tweak it to our desires reasonably effectively. It truly is my favorite car of all times most of the time, but then some days I feel the need, the need for more speed and I switch automobiles. I am lucky in that sense, but for overall driving fun the mini is my all time favorite. That may change with the new GP if they build it correctly which which for me will have to include a different, more dramatic body and a paint scheme that is not gray and red, ugh! 280 factory stock sounds good, but we all now the 2.0 engine is capable of more, the question here would be longevity, and long term reliability. So far at 271 I have had no issues with my JCW and as configured that is pretty close to all that I am capable of handling easily.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:15 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can’t imagine there being a sub 4 second 0-60 front wheel drive car. I’m sure there are probably dedicated drag FWD cars that will but their entire dynamic is built around just doing that. The current power of my Dinan tuned JCW is all useable where it counts, midrange grunt and highway speed bursts.