North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-230/)
-   -   JCW Kit is Delayed (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/31847-jcw-kit-is-delayed.html)

Mini-///M 10-12-2004 04:29 PM

JCW Kit is Delayed

Talked to parts manager at the dealership I'm getting the JCW kit installed at. When I called he was on the phone with a MINIUSA rep. He told me that the rep just said that they were frozen at the docks for three weeks while they were waiting for some "state approval or something." I'm guessing this is CA CARB certification.

Just thought that I would pass this along to those 2005 owners waiting for the complete kits.

miniaq 10-12-2004 04:45 PM

patrik, I was told the same thing for the upgrade kit by my dealer today with no explanation why they were "frozen"!

minicoopermike 10-12-2004 04:55 PM

Is this a CA thing, or are we talking nationwide? :confused: :smile:

Mini-///M 10-12-2004 04:57 PM

The parts manager explicitly said the hold-up was due to a state approval. My guess is that since to install the kits in CA they would need CARB certification and EO # that is the holdup.It makes sense that the upgrade kit would be delayed also because intakes, injectors, and ECU re-programs technically need to be CARB certified also.

Mini-///M 10-12-2004 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by minicoopermike
Is this a CA thing, or are we talking nationwide? :confused: :smile:

Sorry no clue on this one. Maybe time to call a dealer on the east coast tomorrow as the official word came to CA today.

Patrick

05JCWS 10-13-2004 12:27 PM

Maybe this is the same as the delays for the '05 MCS's.

minicoopermike 10-15-2004 06:07 AM

Last night my dealer said the kits were due anytime. Hopefully they'll arrive in the next week or two. :smile:

miniaq 10-18-2004 02:39 PM

My dealer took my order on october 15th, he said it will take a couple of weeks before the parts arrive, so the only thing left to do is wait!

D1JL 10-21-2004 07:12 AM

My order is in as well.

The delay I am told is because the port of Los Angels is backed up due to not enough/well trained dock workers. This is also affecting retail sales all over.

Dave

Mini-///M 10-21-2004 08:08 AM

I would say that a port of LA dock worker problem would be a very strange reason for the delay. BMW's come in through the port of Oxnard. If I was BMW's logistic guy I'd stick the kits in a container with the cars and have my trucks bring the kits when they drop off cars to dealers.

Then again not everyone uses logic... like why would they wait until the middle/end of the busiest US sea freight period to ship the kits.

The fact that east coast kits aren't installed as far as we can tell suggests that there might be an issue unrelated to CA.

D1JL 10-21-2004 08:15 AM

This only what I heard.

The port of Oxnard is also backed up because ships are being deverted there and to Mexico because of L.A.

I have no idea as to the delay on the east coast.
I do know that it is not a C.A.R.B. issue.

Dave

mini giant 10-21-2004 08:28 AM

good thing i can't afford one of those. or else i would be just as bummed as you guys, but hten again now that i think of it i am bummed because all of you guys are getting one :sly: :sly:

:grin: :grin:

minicoopermike 10-21-2004 08:33 AM

I keep checking with my dealer every few days or so here on the East Coast, but so far no signs of the kit :sad:.

D1JL 10-26-2004 01:11 PM

I jost got my Retro Kit.:smile:

I have the box in my hands right now and it is hard to type. I don't want to set it down for fear that some Mini owner will grab it.:mad:
It will be installed tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Dave

mininc 10-26-2004 02:31 PM

D1JL

Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:

I just called my dealer, Century MINI in Greenville,SC and my JCW upgrade kit is in.

I just made an appointment for next Monday to have it installed.

minicoopermike 10-26-2004 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by mininc
D1JL

Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:

I just called my dealer, Century MINI in Greenville,SC and my JCW upgrade kit is in.

I just made an appointment for next Monday to have it installed.

Nice! You lucky guy, George :grin:. PM after you have it installed! I just stopped by Crown and got the prices and part numbers, but the computer was showing no availability yet :sad:.

MINIAC 10-26-2004 03:41 PM

Please post how many hours of labor your dealer charges for the install.

D1JL 10-26-2004 04:05 PM

I have been quoted 1.5 HR install time.

Dave

miniaq 10-26-2004 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by D1JL
I jost got my Retro Kit.:smile:

I have the box in my hands right now and it is hard to type. I don't want to set it down for fear that some Mini owner will grab it.:mad:
It will be installed tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Dave

oh man I am so jelous:mad: I called the dealer twice and got no answer :cry: (alexander in LA). Where did you get yours from, how much did they charge you, and most importantly after you get it installed, HOW DOES IT FEEL? I hope it is worth the wait.

minicoopermike 10-26-2004 07:38 PM

Here are the BMW part numbers, if anybody needs them:

11120395131 $525 JCW upgrade kit (injectors, airbox, ECU flash)
13720391513 $450 Airbox only

miniaq 10-27-2004 10:00 AM

ha ha just got un appointment to install tomorrow morning:razz: :razz:. now for every up there is a down of course; nick alexandre mini is charging $300 for installation which is obviously way over 1.5hr labor quoted by other sources:mad:. but since i bought my car from them i figure this is the price to pay to keep factory warranty and good relation with the dealer. just wait untill my warranty is up, revenge time.....anyway I am so eager to get this thing installed that i am not going to let a $200 bucks get in the way of my enjoyment.

D1JL 10-27-2004 11:09 AM

Well my car went in at 8:00 am and it is still in there. I was originally quoted 1.5 hours fir this job. We only forgot one thing. The new air box has an inlet valve that opens at 4500 RPM. This valve is electronically controlled, so that requires a wiring harness. The new time quote is now 3.5 hours. This of course increases the price drastically.:eek2:

Dave

KevinR 10-27-2004 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by D1JL
The new time quote is now 3.5 hours. This of course increases the price drastically.:eek2:

I think I'd be tempted to complain to MINI USA on this one or at least have a talk with the dealership's general manager. If it took them less time than what MINI says, would they charge you less?

miniaq 10-27-2004 12:13 PM

hey DAVE, (this is B/w hamman wheels at steve)....so this confirms alexanders quote for the installation time. I even read a few guys that had thier upgrades installed at the john cooper shop and they waited a lot longer than 1.5hr, it sounded too good to be true. Anyway tell me how does the car feel?

see you around
sam

MINIAC 10-27-2004 12:18 PM

From the attached pictures, it looks like the wiring harness goes from the control unit to the ECU. This adds 2 hours to the install :confused: :roll: