JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW R56 JCW intake advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:57 PM
SCHerzig
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 JCW intake advice needed

Hi everyone !

I'm looking to add a CAI to our JCW........ The mods so far: JB+, Sprint Booster, removed the resonator, BFG G-Force Comp 2 ...... so far performance is better than expected !

I'm looking more for sound than performance ( I understand CAI's alone are not the ultimate performance mod). I don't want anything super loud, just some added intake sounds.

Any input or comments on the CAI and the Mods will be appreciated

Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you have the JB+, I'm assuming you have a N18 car (2013-2015 JCW). The best intake is going to be keeping the stock box with a high flow panel filter or switch to the factory box from a N14 car with the JCW Tuning Kit top, which switches the filter to a cone instead of a panel. It's not going to give a whole lot of sound, but it will give the best performance. Otherwise, my recommendation is for the AEM Ram Air intake, which makes the hood scoop functional.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 PM
SCHerzig
Neutral
Thanks for the tip on the N14 intake ....... That's exactly what I was looking for, if it sounds a little better that's great, if not, the performance and the factory "look" will work for me !

Old 07-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
+1 for the AEM if looking for a quality CAI with a little more sound.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SCHerzig
Hi everyone !

I'm looking to add a CAI to our JCW........ The mods so far: JB+, Sprint Booster, removed the resonator, BFG G-Force Comp 2 ...... so far performance is better than expected !

I'm looking more for sound than performance ( I understand CAI's alone are not the ultimate performance mod). I don't want anything super loud, just some added intake sounds.

Any input or comments on the CAI and the Mods will be appreciated

As for me since new, I always wished I could have find a way to make the JCW engine more refined and smooth. It always sounds like a rough and cheap econobox diesel of the 80's.

A few days ago, I was parked next to a recent GTI and the engine was silk smooth running at idle.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM
minirab
5th Gear
Well, there's your next move.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
If you're looking for sound the DDM street is the best for the dollar as it's cheap.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwor...et-intake.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-21-2017, 01:47 PM
SCHerzig
Neutral
Thanks for all the input !

I went with the JCW stage 1 airbox ( round filter ), I like the OEM look and hopefully I'll get a little more sound and performance. However after looking at the filter itself, I would like to get something a little less restrictive.

Any input on what filters I should look at ?

Old 07-21-2017, 04:31 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SCHerzig
Thanks for all the input !

I went with the JCW stage 1 airbox ( round filter ), I like the OEM look and hopefully I'll get a little more sound and performance. However after looking at the filter itself, I would like to get something a little less restrictive.

Any input on what filters I should look at ?

I used K&N filters on classic cars and was very satisfied. I am sure there is one for the Mini.

This is what I will buy if I keep my car after the warranty expiration.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't a K&N one that fits the tube inside that box (trust me I've tried). What I've found is this one: http://www.madnessmotorworks.com/joh...r-replacement/ works well and is a similar material to the K&N. I'll need to double check if it requires oil or not, but I believe it doesn't, so no concerns about any clogging of the MAF sensor (not that I'd worry about it with the K&N anyway).

Old 07-31-2017, 11:18 AM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
DDM race intake with LAVA mat on underside.
M7 Vortex scoop integrated into system.
K&N cylindrical filter.
Been on JCW for 5 years with no problems.
Car sounds like the old GM Quadrajets -- BUWAAH!!
ISAMIN