JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW 2013 JCW spark plug help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:17 PM
spaceage
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 JCW spark plug help, please!

I have a 2013 R56 factory JCW. I want to change the spark plugs, and I'm trying to figure out what I need to buy. I know this is one of those things I should easily be able to answer just by searching, but I'll be damned if I can find a straight answer anywhere. It's further compounded by the fact that half the retailers on the interwebs don't let you search for JCW as its own submodel, and half of the ones who do think the 2013 still has the N14 engine, which mine does not. I'm not sure if any of this even makes a difference with the plugs. Some sites seem to indicate it does, some seem to indicate it doesn't.

I'm pulling my hair out because I've never in my life had such a hard time identifying which spark plugs I need. Recap:

2013 Factory JCW Hatchback R56
N18 engine
No additional engine mods or tuning

What the hell do I need to buy? Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:21 AM
s0ph34k
1st Gear
I recently changed out my 2013 R56 JCW and wife's 2013 R56 S which uses the same spark plugs. I bought them from Amazon and switched to NGK ILZKBR7A-8G Laser Iridium Spark Plugs. You will need a 14mm, 12-Point Thin Walled Spark Plug Socket as well. Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:34 PM
spaceage
1st Gear
Very helpful. Thank you.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:59 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by s0ph34k
I recently changed out my 2013 R56 JCW and wife's 2013 R56 S which uses the same spark plugs. I bought them from Amazon and switched to NGK ILZKBR7A-8G Laser Iridium Spark Plugs. You will need a 14mm, 12-Point Thin Walled Spark Plug Socket as well. Hope this helps.
The plugs you switched to are the same plugs that originally came with my '07S --- discontinued by NGK at least a year ago. A replacement is available, but again, it was original equipment for an N14. It may also be the one spaceage is using now.

My suggestion to spaceage is to pull one or more of your plugs and read its marking. Then go to your local auto parts house and buy a set of the same part number. There are a few different plugs that'll operate --- some better than others. If yours is a daily driver, stick with OEM.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:02 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I went back in my Amazon history and saw I bought NGK 5992 for my 08 MCS. They have been discontinued and the new one is NGK 95770 (ILZKBR7B8DG). Reviews state they work for N18 engine so it'll be fine for the JCW N18 engine too.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Considering the apparent issues with purchasing plugs on line for the Prince Engines (eBay, Amazon, craigs list....) Why take the chance of potentially damaging the engine ? Go to the dealer, give them your vin and purchase oem plugs....

Penny wise, pound foolish as MOST of these places you are buying from haven't a clue what's under the hood....

Seen a MINI engine get nice perfectly punched round holes in the pistons from wrong plugs purchased/installed.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Considering the apparent issues with purchasing plugs on line for the Prince Engines (eBay, Amazon, craigs list....) Why take the chance of potentially damaging the engine ? Go to the dealer, give them your vin and purchase oem plugs....

Penny wise, pound foolish as MOST of these places you are buying from haven't a clue what's under the hood....

Seen a MINI engine get nice perfectly punched round holes in the pistons from wrong plugs purchased/installed.
This.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 AM
spaceage
1st Gear
Thank you for the replies. Seems not even the manufacturers (Beru, NKG, Champion, etc) can seem to agree what works with which engine. I will probably just go buy OEM from the dealer. You know what's weird, though? When the dealer looks up my car by VIN, their schematics show it has an N14 engine. That's probably a huge part of the problem I'm having. Seems no one, not even Mini, knows the JCW engine changed in 2013.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
RealOEM is great for finding OEM parts. Plug in last 7 of your VIN there and it'll tell you what engine you have, there's no way it's wrong.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1405

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...12122293697kt/

Amazon Amazon

Seems the OEM plug is BERU 12ZR6-SPP2 -1

Old 04-18-2017, 03:08 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by spaceage
Seems no one, not even Mini, knows the JCW engine changed in 2013.
I worked for MINI for almost 8 yrs. as a parts advisor.
If they put your vin into DCSNET it will show proper engine and which spark plugs to sell....whoever you are talking to on the phone didn't take the time to look it up....

GL!

Old 04-18-2017, 04:49 PM
spaceage
1st Gear
I hadn't gone to Mini yet for the plugs, it was another part I needed. But I was standing there at the counter when he searched for the part. I even looked at the schematics with him, which is how I know it was the wrong engine. It's possible he put the VIN in wrong, I don't know. realoem.com pulls it up correctly, though.

Anyway, I think I've done enough searching and cross referencing to verify the Beru plug above is, in fact, the correct OEM plug for my car. I appreciate everyone's assistance.