Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:05 AM
CharlesB.
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help to value a Clubman JCW

Hi Clubman owners!!

This is an open question about the Clubman JCW feelings

I'm the owner of a R55 Cooper S a little bit modified... Blistein Pss10, intercooler, air induction, short shift etc... so all my improvements was to create a really Go kart feeling.

I'm valuing to move to the new Clubman JCW but it's really difficult to find reviews, owners or a test car so I'm was really pleased if somebody could share thoughts about JCW driving experience.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:59 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 02-23-2017, 11:28 PM
CharlesB.
1st Gear
Thx TheGeekGuym _I found those reviews but there are no too much on Web, that's my point to ask some inputs from JCW Clubman owners ... surprisingly there are a lot more on the web about the Countryman JCW.

I talked with Mini Spain (my country) and there's no a Mini Clubman JCW to test in Spain.... so it's difficult to me to take a decision when all reviews talk about

And with comments like not appears as supper Kart experience.

Motoring

"if you turn up for a test drive expecting the JCW badge to give you something naughty and feverishly hot, you might be disappointed."

Express.co
"It’s not a bad car, but it feels like the car the Cooper S Clubman should have been, with space for a more performance-orientated model above."

Old 02-24-2017, 09:05 AM
dscabrio
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can offer an opinion after 1600 miles on a JCW Clubman. I came from a 2006 R52 Convertible S(11 years) with considerable time in a R56.

Yes, it is bigger and heavier. Yes, it is "more grown up." Just like going from driving the R52 to the R56, it takes some adjustment time to fully appreciate.

Initial summary: Great fun! Fit and finish greatly improved. Solid. Quick. With All 4 corners very well with negligible wheel spin on take-off and in the wet. Have the manual and it's a joy rowing the gears. Have sports suspension: firm ride, feel the road, not as jarring.

In my opinion, it drives like a MINI. Drives smaller than it is. Like the extra seating room and four actual doors. I consider it my Estate MINI and it's a pleasure on longer road trips. After spending some seat time with the F54 JCW, I don't think many of the initial reviews do it justice.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:52 PM
galahad
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have far fewer miles than dscabrio does (just about 150 at this point), so my impressions are still developing.

The reviews the F54 got, and it seems most MINI's get, seem very focused on performance to cost. You can get more performance for less money. A Focus RS seems like it would smoke my car, but you'd have to sit in a Focus and you're on this forum so that's probably not a choice you'd make. A Golf R, one I drove once at least, feels similarly grownup, but really plain.

I came to the car out of a BMW sport wagon. It was a great car, but I didn't love driving it. I let go of an R53 JCW a few year back, and regret letting that car go. So far I love driving the F54, I think I'll love it more after I feel it's broken in and comfortable rev'ing it more and settling in.

There are no reviews by sources I really trust yet, people who I've read often and have a feel for. I don't think any MINI has won a major magazine comparison test, but that doesn't make me like it any less.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:11 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The Focus is a sled. The Clubman MCS is beautiful, I'm sure the JCW is even better. You need to update your wheels. Sure, it's bigger and heavier than your car, but you're an older dude now too. Right? Go for it!

Old 03-13-2017, 01:49 PM
CharlesB.
1st Gear
I'll probably test a Clubman Cooper s All 4 this week to advance on the idea of the JCW.

Just a couple of questions..

What do you think about Manual vs Automatic?

Is the same setup of the JCW F56 suspension?

I love black wheels... but there's no option to configure a JCW with black wheels... anybody painted the 19" JCW in black? Or I'll have to go to aftermarket?

Front grill any option to be in black like F56 or the new Countryman?

Thx!!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:10 PM
galahad
2nd Gear
Manual vs. Automatic:

What do you want. I didn't want an Auto, I had an 8 speed ZF on the last car I had which most think is among the best Auto's. It removed too much fun from the driving experience, so I wanted a Manual. Is it the best manual, no the throws are a little less smooth than ideal. But I think its pretty good.

I believe its very similar to the F56 suspension. Where as you can get the Sport Suspension that isn't available on the other models or the Dynamic Dampers. I got the DD, wanted a smoother ride sometimes, and figured you can always change shocks, but not sure you could add the DD if you wanted them.

I have black wheels on my JCW. 18's are either black or silver, 19's are silver with painted black accents I think.

I don't think there are any grill options available on the JCW.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I think you can get the "regular" suspension that comes on the MCS, or the Sport Suspension for no extra charge, or the DD option which is extra. The Sport Suspension on the R56 cars mainly consists of thicker antisway bar(s) which I think the F56 really needs after driving my friends' F56 MCS. It leans more than my car in turns and understeers too. I don't think the dampers are any harsher though. I don't know anything about the DD.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 PM
CharlesB.
1st Gear
Originally Posted by galahad
Manual vs. Automatic:

What do you want. I didn't want an Auto, I had an 8 speed ZF on the last car I had which most think is among the best Auto's. It removed too much fun from the driving experience, so I wanted a Manual. Is it the best manual, no the throws are a little less smooth than ideal. But I think its pretty good.

I believe its very similar to the F56 suspension. Where as you can get the Sport Suspension that isn't available on the other models or the Dynamic Dampers. I got the DD, wanted a smoother ride sometimes, and figured you can always change shocks, but not sure you could add the DD if you wanted them.

I have black wheels on my JCW. 18's are either black or silver, 19's are silver with painted black accents I think.

I don't think there are any grill options available on the JCW.
Thx Galahad!

I would like a fun experience so I'll go to the manual option, my question about the suspension is, what's is more sport , the sport suspension or DD selection sport mode?

Old 03-14-2017, 12:39 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
The Sport Suspension is 30% firmer than standard. The DDC in "Sport" mode is only 10% firmer than standard.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:47 AM
CharlesB.
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
The Sport Suspension is 30% firmer than standard. The DDC in "Sport" mode is only 10% firmer than standard.
Wowww!

There's no official info about it!!
My setup on my R55 is with Blistein PSS10... so in this case I would need to select the sport suspension.. could you confirm it?? Where did you find this info?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:42 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by CharlesB.
Wowww!

There's no official info about it!!
My setup on my R55 is with Blistein PSS10... so in this case I would need to select the sport suspension.. could you confirm it?? Where did you find this info?
I'm not sure that's been 100% confirmed. There was a lot of controversy about the SS on the Gen2 cars. The sway bars were definitely thicker. The dampers had different part numbers than stock, but aftermarket suspension installers said the springs were the same and couldn't tell the difference in the shocks either. But for sure you got thicker sway bars which you definitely want on the F54. Plus, you get the SS free on the JCW whereas on my car it was a $500 option.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 03-14-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:31 PM
galahad
2nd Gear
The SS is definitely stiffer, but I haven't driven one with that suspension. I test drove the one I bought and it has the DD. I thought it was plenty stiff for my needs. I had an R53 JCW with the original SS (not the JCW suspension though as I bought before the factory installed kit with brakes and suspension). It was more than harsh enough. Then I had an R56S that had the standard suspension. It didn't ride particularly better, and it didn't hold the road very well either (it bump steered something awful, which was scary in spirited driving).

If you want the sportiest the SS is the way to go. The longer wheelbase if much more forgiving, so I think no matter which way you go it should be fine.