Supercharger quit - Help - North American Motoring

JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Supercharger quit - Help

Old 01-26-2017, 08:21 AM
5th Gear

Supercharger quit - Help

Hi Friends,
I was driving my new to me 06 s jcw hatch and after a spirited drive, on my way home, I heard what I think was a pressure pop off. It went into EML mode, I shut it off, restarted it and the supercharger would not push compressed air into the motor anymore.
Do you think it is just the bypass valve died, or is there anything else I should be looking for?
I have been driving my 05 S for close to a year now and have never experienced this.
On my 06 S jcw, I know the supercharger was replaced and I guess they may not have tightened the hose enough, or did not replace it and it is possible it popped off. Is it normal to get no boost at all after that?
I have not looked into it yet, as I came down with the flu, but I want to order a new bypass valve and want to know if OEM is as good as any of them out there?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:53 AM
5th Gear

Maybe the intercooler boots or the green supercharger gasket is leaking?

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...en-gasket.html
Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Vendor

I would first check the crank pulley as they are very common to fail and often mistaken as a failed supercharger as it slips enough to not turn the supercharger. If it's bad or you smell burning rubber it's time to replace with an ATI Damper
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html
Old 01-29-2017, 05:58 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks View Post
I would first check the crank pulley as they are very common to fail and often mistaken as a failed supercharger as it slips enough to not turn the supercharger. If it's bad or you smell burning rubber it's time to replace with an ATI Damper
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html
I had this happen to my 05 S last summer. This is not the case with my 06, although the belt has many cracks and needs replacing. I have a new belt, that I will put on, when I attack this project.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Vendor

I wouldn't rule out a failed crank pulley just because you don't smell burned rubber.

You still have the stock JCW pulley on the charger, or did you swap it for something aftermarket? SC pulleys can come loose and cause problems.

A failed BPV would cause loss of boost, and an OE replacement would be more than fine unless you are a spirited driver that would see the benefits of going with one of our Detroit Tuned BPV.

I would say start with getting some codes pulled, as that'll give you some direction as to where to start diagnostic.

Last edited by nkfry; 02-06-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:37 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkfry View Post
I wouldn't rule out a failed crank pulley just because you don't smell burned rubber.

You still have the stock JCW pulley on the charger, or did you swap it for something aftermarket? SC pulleys can come loose and cause problems.

A failed BPV would cause loss of boost, and an OE replacement would be more than fine unless you are a spirited driver that would see the benefits of going with one of out Detroit Tuned BPV.

I would say start with getting some codes pulled, as that'll give you some direction as to where to start diagnostic.
I thank you, nkfry, for bringing that back to my attention, I looked at it today and it is spinning free. I have ordered a new one and it is on it's way.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:16 AM
5th Gear

I have the new dampener:

Now it is about the time I will have to get it in, as I am super busy with our Mini sales right now, which is taking up my shop time.
Thanks Mini Mania! See you in June 2017!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 AM
5th Gear

This is what it looked like:

It was not rattling around, so I had ruled it out.
The OEM ones are just crap!