JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Potential new buyer low mileage 2004 Cooper Works Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:05 PM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Potential new buyer low mileage 2004 Cooper Works Package

I have the opportunity to get a 2004 super low mileage JCW, in grey, with white roof with 17k miles on the clock. Looks to be 100% stock except the JCW airbox that has been added and a Momo shifter. Car is in immaculate shape with almost no flaws.

What are these cars worth with such low milage, we settled on very low teens, I feel like given the car's overall shape this is a decent deal.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Any help would be appreciated it, I've always wanted one of these and this would be a third car that wold not really be a daily driver, just a fun car.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Prob 12k, max

Old 04-16-2017, 11:27 PM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Noonzio
Prob 12k, max
Thank you, thats exactly where we're at. I feel OK with that price, and included in that are brand new Michelin tires and a set of new in the box fog lights and a Momo shifter. Besides, I've been wanting one of these for the last 5 years or so. Drove one a while back and loved it.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:27 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I would not pay $12k for the car regardless of what options it has. Yes low miles are nice but the car is still 13 years old, does not have the 380 injectors nor does it have LSD. KBB has the car at $8k. There is a thread in the JCW section about a guy that paid 17k for an 06 JCW with a 3 year aftermarket warranty but ended up selling it for $12.5k. That car had like 12,000 miles on it with just about every option you could get.

We all like to think how much our cars are worth but when we go to sell them, we are not the one buying them. For me, I would walk away at anything above $10k.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:10 AM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
I would not pay $12k for the car regardless of what options it has. Yes low miles are nice but the car is still 13 years old, does not have the 380 injectors nor does it have LSD. KBB has the car at $8k. There is a thread in the JCW section about a guy that paid 17k for an 06 JCW with a 3 year aftermarket warranty but ended up selling it for $12.5k. That car had like 12,000 miles on it with just about every option you could get.

We all like to think how much our cars are worth but when we go to sell them, we are not the one buying them. For me, I would walk away at anything above $10k.
Thank you, I searched for that thread and found it too. That looked like a nice car! We will see what I end up doing, I l really like the car, but as you said we all like to think our cars are worth more when it comes to selling them, but no one will buy them.

I've always been OK with paying extra for a lower mileage clean car, I feel that if you take care of the car it might work out in the end when you sell it. I bought an e55 AMG with 26k miles and recently sold an e36 m3 with 60k miles. In both instances cars were super clean and went for higher prices.

Thanks for the response though, this forum seems to be knowledgeable and quite friendly, I like that!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM
t4r6n
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in SoCal, $8-10k is jus enough to buy a bucket for a college student. Lots of guys on NAM have owned higher end cars with more horsepower but talk about how the r53 is the most fun car to drive. A few bucks more to get a low mileage r53 which is a rare find seems to be worth it.

I've got an 05 JCW with no sunroof and LSD with 17K miles on it and I wouldn't sell it for 10k. I've listed it on craigslist because the wife says I've got too many cars in the stable. If it doesn't sell at the premium I'm asking for, I'm gonna follow in r53coop's footsteps and give it an RMW makeover. $12K seems like a good deal for a rare find.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:23 AM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Originally Posted by t4r6n
Here in SoCal, $8-10k is jus enough to buy a bucket for a college student. Lots of guys on NAM have owned higher end cars with more horsepower but talk about how the r53 is the most fun car to drive. A few bucks more to get a low mileage r53 which is a rare find seems to be worth it.

I've got an 05 JCW with no sunroof and LSD with 17K miles on it and I wouldn't sell it for 10k. I've listed it on craigslist because the wife says I've got too many cars in the stable. If it doesn't sell at the premium I'm asking for, I'm gonna follow in r53coop's footsteps and give it an RMW makeover. $12K seems like a good deal for a rare find.
Thank you, great feedback, sounds like you are enjoying your little beast! My advice, if you find an cool slightly older car that you like and it has such low mileage, keep it if you can, you will regret selling it down the road, not like you will be able to find another one like it!

I got a 370Z and an e55 but the Mini was super fun to drive, looking forward to getting it! I am more of a stock guy but would add JCW OEM stuff to it to keep its originality.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:15 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally Posted by cdumitru78
I have the opportunity to get a 2004 super low mileage JCW, in grey, with white roof with 17k miles on the clock. Looks to be 100% stock except the JCW airbox that has been added and a Momo shifter. Car is in immaculate shape with almost no flaws.

What are these cars worth with such low milage, we settled on very low teens, I feel like given the car's overall shape this is a decent deal.
Sounds like a really nice car and the price premium is worth it to some people, especially if they're planning to keep it for a really long time. My 2005 S looked showroom new with no accidents or issues and had only 8,600 miles after 6 years so I thought it was worth the extra $2-3K the seller was asking.

I don't think I would consider the JCW airbox not stock compared to the original JCW kit since all JCW's were dealer/port add-ons prior to 2006. Also, there's a JCW upgrade kit for the 200HP JCW which includes the airbox, 380cc injectors, and the 210HP tune. It's possible the car you're looking at has this since the airbox is there. If you look under the intercooler you can see the injectors. The stock injectors are tan and the 380's are light blue. Not sure how you could verify the tune, though.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:43 PM
900exdriver
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you should keep looking for a '05-'06 with bigger injectors and lsd. Like r53coop mentioned you should keep looking. I had mine posted not long ago (low mileage '06 JCW) for that same price range. They're out there if you keep your eye open for them.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 PM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Thank you all for the suggestions, I appreciate it! I ended up buying it today, love the car so far. I thought about holding for an '05 or '06, but in the end I liked what this car has - seems super clean and an owner that seemed to have truly cared for the car, plus the car seems to be non abused and with super low miles, which seems to be quite rare. It has very very flaws and I am a perfectionist - a few surface scratches that I think I can buff out, a dent that PDR will most likely remove and some scratches on the front lower lip.

I test drove a 2006 with the JCW package and LSD and I honestly could not tell the difference, is that something that one would only notice on the track? I have an E55 AMG and a 370z, so the mini will share duties with those 2 cars, which are both fast and fun in their own way.

900exdriver - out of curiosity how many miles on your car and did it go for low teens as well? Are you missing the car? These cars seem to be so unique and owners seem to truly love them. I have no idea how one would NOT put miles on these, I already offered to go the groceries store twice tonight.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:05 AM
900exdriver
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
900exdriver - out of curiosity how many miles on your car and did it go for low teens as well? Are you missing the car? These cars seem to be so unique and owners seem to truly love them. I have no idea how one would NOT put miles on these, I already offered to go the groceries store twice tonight.
Pictures or it didn't happen

I actually decided to keep it. It's not very practical with 3 little ones but we make it work. I'm hoping to hold onto this for a while as it has been such exciting car to drive. I picked it up with 38k (low miles in my mind) and just ticked over 41k. For the most part I wouldn't tell the difference either if the car had the LSD or not as I drive like a grandma. However, with it being fwd it's handy to have when you need it.

Congrats on your purchase. You will enjoy the MINI culture as they are a fun bunch.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:54 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
I would not pay $12k for the car regardless of what options it has. Yes low miles are nice but the car is still 13 years old, does not have the 380 injectors .
It may have the 380 Injectors. He indicated in first post that it was equipped with the JCW air box.....so "Sound Kit" may have been installed.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
It may have the 380 Injectors. He indicated in first post that it was equipped with the JCW air box.....so "Sound Kit" may have been installed.
I checked, no 380 injectors, sadly. He had the Airbox installed at the dealership later down the road after the car was bought. The airbox plug was disconnected, the PO was explaining to me something about why it was not connected, I will have to do some research on that. It was a last minute thing he mentioned when I noticed it was not connected, I haven't had the chance to look into it.

I will certainly get some pics up, its been raining badly here in Portland OR, nothing new though. I had to see his car in his garage to be able to properly inspect the exterior.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Old 04-18-2017, 10:42 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
The JCW airbox has a vacuum controlled flap which opens to the vent under the windshield wiper to the let more cold air in at 4,500 RPM's. This was done mostly for noise regulations in the UK. Many people disconnect and remove or prop open the flap to allow cold air access all the time, and to increase the whine of the supercharger.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Thank you RB-MINI, it is disconnected for now but I will check inside it to see what's been done there, this is good to know. Seems to be a bit over engineered for an airbox, but I am glad it is OEM.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:15 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Here's some info on the airbox and a link to the install instructions.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2006/02/...ld-air-intake/

http://motoringfile.com/files/JCWUPGRADE.pdf

Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
Here's some info on the airbox and a link to the install instructions.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2006/02/...ld-air-intake/

http://motoringfile.com/files/JCWUPGRADE.pdf
You rock, thank you, I am just coming across these as well!

Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
You're welcome!

Post some pics of the engine and interior. You might have some other cool factory options or accessories in there. One guy didn't know the used MINI he bought had a rare, expensive, and discontinued JCW accessory steering wheel.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 AM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Absolutely, here is what I have and thank you for the help. I

know he's done the Craven strut tower defenders, spark plugs and the airbox, should be stock besides that.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
You have a real gem there, drive it in the best of health. Make sure that the robber parts are not dry rotted from age. In April of 2005 I bought my 2005 R 52S from someone in Key Largo, FL. The car had sat in his garage for 10 years and only had 3,648 miles. Some of the foam rubber seals along with the tires needed replaced immediately and the front motor mgt blew at about 14,000 miles

Old 04-18-2017, 04:05 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I checked, no 380 injectors, sadly. He had the Airbox installed at the dealership later down the road after the car was bought. The airbox plug was disconnected, the PO was explaining to me something about why it was not connected, I will have to do some research on that. It was a last minute thing he mentioned when I noticed it was not connected, I haven't had the chance to look into it.

I will certainly get some pics up, its been raining badly here in Portland OR, nothing new though. I had to see his car in his garage to be able to properly inspect the exterior.
Well, only a small hurdle....Get the 380s and have MINI dealer flash the DME with JCW program. You already have everything else. It awakens the beast within after that upgrade....money well spent.

Typically dealership charges one hour programing.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:18 PM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
You have a real gem there, drive it in the best of health. Make sure that the robber parts are not dry rotted from age. In April of 2005 I bought my 2005 R 52S from someone in Key Largo, FL. The car had sat in his garage for 10 years and only had 3,648 miles. Some of the foam rubber seals along with the tires needed replaced immediately and the front motor mgt blew at about 14,000 miles
Thank you, I am looking over the car carefully to make sure everything looks great, so far so good, it looks super clean and a good polish and detail will make it even better. I have the tools to do it right, I enjoy detailing cars as a hobby so it will be done right.

Last edited by cdumitru78; 04-18-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:27 PM
cdumitru78
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Well, only a small hurdle....Get the 380s and have MINI dealer flash the DME with JCW program. You already have everything else. It awakens the beast within after that upgrade....money well spent.

Typically dealership charges one hour programing.
Hehe, I knew it was a matter of time before I started spending money on this car! In doing a brief search online it appears the OEM 380 injectors is the way to go, so most likely will head that route once I make sure everything else with the car is in great shape. I like to at least to an oil change to make sure its been done.