JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Counterfeit JCW's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 09:37 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Counterfeit JCW's?

I know this subject has been discussed in various threads prior to my post, but if ya'll be so kind, please enlighten me with some clarification on this confusing (for me) JCW topic.

Although I'm not new to Minis, I am new at searching for a JCW Mini for myself. Here is my problem: the more I look at different JCW cars, the more I am perplexed as to what a "real" JCW Mini is supposed to be.

Most recently I have researched 3 Minis I've had interest in whereby each owner claimed their car to be a JCW model. However, when I used the VIN decoder on this website to investigate, all 3 of those cars came back as "S" models...with no mention of JCW in their VIN data. Is this a phenomenon or are not all JCW factory cars designated as such in their VIN numbers? Heck, two of the three cars even had the John Cooper Works badges and the red JCW brake calipers!

I've read on these forums that some dealerships installed JCW aero kits on new Mini's before selling them, but what about engine, suspension and other JCW performance mods? Did dealerships install these parts on new Mini's before selling them too? If so, how can these installations be proofed and can these cars be considered JCW models like factory cars are?

To take it one step further, if an owner of a Mini has some form of JCW equipment installed, but their VIN does not verify this, will their car have the same value as if the factory installed the JCW component(s)?

Another confusing part to all of this is that I am seeing JCW designations on Mini's that otherwise look like "S" models. There was recently a 2006 JCW sold off NAM which was of this nature. For all purposes this Mini looked like a normal "S" model but underneath it was a factory JCW. With that said I don't know if this particular car had any JCW performance enhancements other than just the engine package.

In closing, if a Mini is classified as a factory JCW model, will this designation always appear in the decoded VIN? And...will the performance part(s) of this package always include the same group of upgrades?

It goes without saying that I certainly do not want to find myself in the uncomfortable position of rebuking a Mini owners claim that his car is a JCW model when the VIN does not state "JCW".

Rich

Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Which gen are you specifically looking at? Gen1 only? (like the thread section indicates?) On first gen minis there is really no difference.

See the info here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-or-not.html

Now, on the later turbo cars its different. You got different hardware there.

Last edited by iwashmycar; 03-06-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: better info
Old 03-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
From 2002 to late 2005 the JCW "option" dealer installed. A dealer installed JCW Package will have a badge with a serial number on the valve cover as well as a paper certificate. In 2005 MINI offered the JCW as a factory installed package an unlike the dealer units, all factory JCWs included a LSD. There are instances where the Dealer may not have installed the valve cover badge, but the proof in the pudding is the certificate.

Below is thread on the matter:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-true-jcw.html

The following users liked this post:
iwashmycar (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
The only true 1st Gen JCW model was the GP, identified by VIN characters 4 -6 (Vehicle Code) of 'RE9' and character 11 (Assembly Plant) of 'Y'. All others are Cooper S models, identified by VIN characters 4 - 6 of 'RE3' (Hardtop) or 'RH3' (Convertible) and character 11 of 'T', with a JCW Tuning Kit either dealer installed or part of the factory JCW Package (option 3AL) along with JCW Sport Brakes and a LSD (option 2TA). Kits included a Certificate of Authenticity.

BTW the 1st Gen Aero Kit was NOT a JCW branded part.

For more detailed info ...

1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW Tuning Kits and Factory Models - The MINI Wiki

Last edited by MINIAC; 03-06-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich B.
I know this subject has been discussed in various threads prior to my post, but if ya'll be so kind, please enlighten me with some clarification on this confusing (for me) JCW topic.

Although I'm not new to Minis, I am new at searching for a JCW Mini for myself. Here is my problem: the more I look at different JCW cars, the more I am perplexed as to what a "real" JCW Mini is supposed to be.

Most recently I have researched 3 Minis I've had interest in whereby each owner claimed their car to be a JCW model. However, when I used the VIN decoder on this website to investigate, all 3 of those cars came back as "S" models...with no mention of JCW in their VIN data. Is this a phenomenon or are not all JCW factory cars designated as such in their VIN numbers? Heck, two of the three cars even had the John Cooper Works badges and the red JCW brake calipers!

I've read on these forums that some dealerships installed JCW aero kits on new Mini's before selling them, but what about engine, suspension and other JCW performance mods? Did dealerships install these parts on new Mini's before selling them too? If so, how can these installations be proofed and can these cars be considered JCW models like factory cars are?

To take it one step further, if an owner of a Mini has some form of JCW equipment installed, but their VIN does not verify this, will their car have the same value as if the factory installed the JCW component(s)?

Another confusing part to all of this is that I am seeing JCW designations on Mini's that otherwise look like "S" models. There was recently a 2006 JCW sold off NAM which was of this nature. For all purposes this Mini looked like a normal "S" model but underneath it was a factory JCW. With that said I don't know if this particular car had any JCW performance enhancements other than just the engine package.

In closing, if a Mini is classified as a factory JCW model, will this designation always appear in the decoded VIN? And...will the performance part(s) of this package always include the same group of upgrades?

It goes without saying that I certainly do not want to find myself in the uncomfortable position of rebuking a Mini owners claim that his car is a JCW model when the VIN does not state "JCW".

Rich

To answer your first question, JCW data will not be in the build sheet unless it is an 06 R52/3 or a 07 R52 and was FACTORY installed. FACTORY installed cars will have the red brake calipers, which are R56 caliper painted red with a logo on them.

For all 1st gen, JCW kit were available as a dealer add-ed on option. It was ~$6k for the kit installed, therefore a lot of them will not show up on the build sheet. Dealer installed kits did not consist of the red brakes. Earlier kits did not have the JCW intake either.

JCW aero kit weren't always installed with the JCW engine kit, it was a dealer or owner chosen addition. Roughly another ~$3k back in the day. Other JCW add-on that was available was the JCW suspension which was different shocks and springs (red). Easiest way to check if it's a JCW? Valve cover should have a plaque with a serial number, intercooler cover is silver, JCW intake, JCW exhaust, JCW badges (can be de-badged) other than that the pulley is another visual difference, hard to see.

Basically because JCW was a factory and dealer add-on option, use common sense, due diligence and you should be fine. I don't really see a dealer add-on JCW car being worth less than a factory spec'ed car. Like other have said, they do come with a certificate of authenticity, a lot of times it is already lost though when the car changes ownership.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Thank you Gentlemen. My search started out looking for a supercharged car, but due to the scarcity of nice clean, low mileage, examples the scale has slid upward to include turbo cars. I know these are very different animals but it has become more about quality for me than having an exact year or engine. Moving forward is a balancing act that most of us do when searching for one of these special vehicles. I am just trying to make sure I understand how to use each buying tool available to me so that after purchase surprises are minimized. NAM is a most valuable resource in that respect.
Rich

Old 03-06-2018, 12:15 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
If you're looking for a 2Gen, I saw this earlier on here, thought it was a very good deal...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...much-more.html

Old 03-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
If you're looking for a 2Gen, I saw this earlier on here, thought it was a very good deal...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...much-more.html
That's not a JCW

Old 03-06-2018, 01:33 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Those links above are a good start. There are JCW factory cars from 2009+ and some back in 2005ish+ were ordered that way or a dealer add on before the sale. Lots of Tuning kit cars and add ons so you have to watch out for that. Many people also in the later 2011+ have a lot of JCW appearance packages. So you have to watch out for that. For the 2009+ it will come up as in the VIN. Oh and the GP of course.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 03-06-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Half_p1nt (03-15-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MINIAC
The only true 1st Gen JCW model was the GP, identified by VIN characters 3 -5 (Vehicle Code) of 'RE9' and character 11 (Assembly Plant) of 'Y'. All others are Cooper S models, identified by VIN characters 3 - 5 of 'RE3' (Hardtop) or 'RH3' (Convertible) and character 11 of 'T', with a JCW Tuning Kit either dealer installed or part of the factory JCW Package (option 3AL) along with JCW Sport Brakes and a LSD (option 2TA). Kits included a Certificate of Authenticity.

BTW the 1st Gen Aero Kit was NOT a JCW branded part.

For more detailed info ...

1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW Tuning Kits and Factory Models - The MINI Wiki
Hmmm why is the GP a true JCW while the others as mine built in the factory are not?????????????????

Onizukachan (05-31-2023)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:07 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Hmmm why is the GP a true JCW while the others as mine built in the factory are not?????????????????
Because the GP VIN identifies it as such

Old 03-06-2018, 04:07 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Just to add:

BMW fully bought out 'John Cooper Works in 2008

*Speculation:

Its likely there were only kitted JCW prior to the full buy out (meaning all pre '08 vin should show MCS.. not JCW). After 2008 would then be where you can spot actual JCW vin#'s, from JCW factory production & not BMW+JCW kit.

for Gen2 - if the 6th digit/place in your VIN# is a '9'.. it is a factory JCW

Old 03-06-2018, 04:15 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
Just to add:

... these are 2009 or later models.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 PM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My two cents, the factory first gen JCW's always had the sport package. At some point (2009?) the mechanical limited slip differential was dropped

Old 03-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Just to add:

BMW fully bought out 'John Cooper Works in 2008

*Speculation:

Its likely there were only kitted JCW prior to the full buy out (meaning all pre '08 vin should show MCS.. not JCW). After 2008 would then be where you can spot actual JCW vin#'s, from JCW factory production & not BMW+JCW kit.

Thinking they bought the name in 2007 and then the entire company in 2008. They may have paid Mike Cooper for putting the JCW in the VIN of the GP but did not want to pay for the others.

The Coopers were not dummies, the father when asked how much he wanted for Mini to add Cooper to the name said 2 pounds sterling. Little did he or Austin/Morris know that 350,000 would be sold. That is close to $20,000,00 dollars today.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:06 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoostedBlueToyotas
My two cents, the factory first gen JCW's always had the sport package.
In the US market ordering the the JCW Package ($6,300) required ordering the Sport Package ($1,400).

Old 03-06-2018, 06:51 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Some good info in this thread, and some incomplete/inaccurate as well. This Wiki below has solid information on the various JCW kits and factory models available for Gen1 and Gen2 cars:

http://minicooper.wikia.com/wiki/JCW...Factory_Models

If you do venture into Gen 2 factory JCW territory, look for cars 2013 and newer as they have the N18 motor. I’d recommend a GP2, depending on budget. Otherwise, a 2006 R53 with factory JCW option is the sweet spot, if you can find one.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I once heard only about 500 JCWs come into the US each year but this was years ago (2010) when a rep from MINI corp told me. I dont know what they are now but I bet its a little bit more.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Because the GP VIN identifies it as such
So does the VIN of a factory JCW

Old 03-07-2018, 02:10 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Noonzio
So does the VIN of a factory JCW
Decoding the VIN indicates it has option 3AL but the VIN itself doesn't have a character identifying it as a JCW model as is the case with the GP.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:21 PM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
6th digit place ='9' for fJCW

Any JCW gen1 can verify if the 6th vin digit is a '9'?
Any GP2 owners verify if the 6th vin digit is a '9'?

from the gen2 JCWs I've seen, all factory made gen2 JCW have '9' in 6th digit of the vin#

Old 03-07-2018, 02:34 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Any JCW gen1 can verify if the 6th vin digit is a '9'?
Which is only the GP

Old 03-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Ya'll been more than helpful in providing a wealth of valuable information to get me sorting out what to look for in my search for a JCW Mini. Now all I need to do is to find the right car to suite my taste and budget. A task that is already proving to be more difficult than it sounds. Thanks again!
Rich

Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
The only true 1st Gen JCW model was the GP, identified by VIN characters 4 -6 (Vehicle Code) of 'RE9' and character 11 (Assembly Plant) of 'Y'. All others are Cooper S models, identified by VIN characters 4 - 6 of 'RE3' (Hardtop) or 'RH3' (Convertible) and character 11 of 'T', with a JCW Tuning Kit either dealer installed or part of the factory JCW Package (option 3AL) along with JCW Sport Brakes and a LSD (option 2TA). Kits included a Certificate of Authenticity.
GP1 <> JCW, the true first gen jcw with factory build is option 3al like you said

I have zero interest in a gp but I do own a factory jcw r53

and continuing that topic, all of the gp parts bolt onto a S, really nothing special unless you autocross like I do, the GP gets stuck into a street modified class and is completely uncompetitive, where the JCW gets to run in DS and STX where it has a big advantage over an S

Oval55oval (05-06-2019)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
This has become similar to another thread on what constituted the "hand-built" associated with the WC50. So in the words of "I smoked pot but never inhaled," who coined the "only true" phrase.

Quick Reply: Counterfeit JCW's?