Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 PM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailingsumo
Hey Guys,

Coming to the forums for some advice.
I’m running a Dinan sport on my new ‘17 F56 JCW. My only other mod is a cold air intake. I’ve been using the tune on sport+ for 2000 Miles with no problems whatsoever. Absolutely loved the performance gain. All of a sudden, I’ve been throwing P12A8 (low boost pressure) and P12A9 (high boost pressure).
The question is whether it’s a problem with the tune or the sensor.

I’ve only seen “Low boost” codes associated with piggybacks on the forums.
Should I contact Dinan, or remove tune and bring in for service? If it’s a faulty sensor, is this common on stock vehicles? Has anyone experienced this?

Looking forward to hearing back!!
Thanks!
id contact Dinan first and see what they think a solution could be -

Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Hey Guys,

I’m running a Dinan sport on my new ‘17 F56 JCW. My only other mod is a cold air intake. I’ve been using the tune on sport+ for 2000 Miles with no problems whatsoever. Absolutely loved the performance gain. All of a sudden, I’ve been throwing P12A8 (low boost pressure) and P12A9 (high boost pressure).

Should I contact Dinan, or remove tune and bring in for service? If it’s a faulty sensor, is this common on stock vehicles? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!
I'd like to know more details (Dinan might as well);

How many miles on car?
Type of gas?
Outside temps?
Altitude/ where are you driving?
How fast are you generally going? One of those 90 mph highway guys?

Cold Air intake for me is a variable = negative possibly in that your engine bay isn't a source of cold air.

We had some stumbles on 100+ degree days but no codes.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 PM
Sailingsumo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I'd like to know more details (Dinan might as well);

How many miles on car?
Type of gas?
Outside temps?
Altitude/ where are you driving?
How fast are you generally going? One of those 90 mph highway guys?

Cold Air intake for me is a variable = negative possibly in that your engine bay isn't a source of cold air.

We had some stumbles on 100+ degree days but no codes.
The cars got just under 4k miles
It's an NM intake, which seemed to be pretty well rated.
93 Northeast gas only
Ambient temp 35-50F
It threw the codes on a cold start, but generally I drive the car at like 75% (occasional WOT, stay below redline...)

I've read and cleared the CEL's, returned Dinan Sport to stock config.
I'll shoot Dinan support an email (unless they're closely monitoring this thread and DM...) and report back to yall.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
One more ?? , did you happen to have any software updating by dealer after the Dinan was installed? That seems to have triggered issues for a few people after the DME was updated.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Sailingsumo
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more ?? , did you happen to have any software updating by dealer after the Dinan was installed? That seems to have triggered issues for a few people after the DME was updated.
Nope, the car hasn’t seen a dealer since delivery.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:26 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks!
So what happened? What's the resolution?

Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
One thing I wonder is if the person who installed the Dinan updated the car's firmware/software beforehand. I know when I had mine (different tune) done the dude did update the car's firmware first. That actually took longer than doing the tune.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:28 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Please check out this thread and comment based on your experience. Thanks.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4347374

Old 12-02-2017, 10:40 AM
12AMF56
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello all! So, I'm kind of late to the party here but I thought I'd share my experience with these issues as well. I had basically given up on this but seeing others with the same experience made me figure it was worth sharing; hopefully there's some resolution at the end of the tunnel. Anyway, here goes:

11/2016 - Installed the Dinan Sport. No problems whatsoever until...

7/9/2017 - While stopped at a light, felt the car shudder and almost die. CEL came on, car recovered and ran fine. Once home, read CEL as P143C (environmental air temp sensor). Brought in to dealer and they identified the issue as a faulty sensor in the radiator. They replaced the radiator, and while there the car received the latest software update.

7/25/2017 - CEL came on, read as P12A8 (boost pressure sensor). Brought into dealer and they found faults for inlet air temp pressure sensor. They said that they ran a test plan and found that the pressure when the engine was off was slightly off from other MAP sensors. Said that they would be unable to diagnose further with the Dinan Sport in place, but would be happy to continue if I removed it. At this point I wasn't really zeroing in on the Dinan Sport as a cause.

At this point I'll add that the dealer is just over 100 miles from where we live, so it's not always convenient (or possible) to make visits on the fly. I say that to make up for the lack of repeat trips during these issues. Definitely not a fault of the dealer, as they've always been fantastic. Just a problem of geography.

8/10/2017 - CEL reappeared (boost pressure again), along with 3 separate drivetrain malfunction messages.

8/11/2017 - Removed Dinan Sport from the car. CEL turned off on its own the next day (I purposely didn't clear it to see if this would happen).

At this point the issues completely ceased. I sat the DS on a shelf and waited to see what would happen. After several weeks of smooth sailing I called Dinan to see if they had experienced anything like this. We spoke for a while about everything leading up to this point, and the guy I talked to was very courteous and helpful. We discussed the software update, and he said that they hadn't seen any issues relating to problems after a software update. He suggested to try reinstalling the unit, as we both came to the conclusion that perhaps during the radiator swap at the dealer one of the connectors was not properly re-seated (figured it was unplugged during the job). Yes, a potential longshot, but still worth eliminating as a possibility. It sat on the shelf for a bit longer before I put it back in. For a while (a couple of weeks) everything seemed to be fine, and I really thought it was resolved...

10/29/2017 - CEL on again, P10F3 (air pressure in comparison to barometric pressure too low; faulty boost pressure sensor). Drivetrain malfunction. I removed the DS later that day.

10/31/2017 - CEL off on its own.

The DS remains off of the car, and there have been no issues since.

So, like others, the catalyst for me seems to have been that software update. Everything was peachy for 8 months, then once the software was updated all hell broke loose. Obviously I'm way past the return policy (and warranty) on the DS, so I'm not sure what the solution is. I'd really like to not have that $300 have been wasted. I haven't called Dinan back to get their take on everything, but at this point I don't know what they'd be able to do. I'm definitely not blaming them, as their product worked just fine until the update.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it can help add some pieces to the puzzle.

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 10:58 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 12AMF56
Hello all! So, I'm kind of late to the party here but I thought I'd share my experience with these issues as well. I had basically given up on this but seeing others with the same experience made me figure it was worth sharing; hopefully there's some resolution at the end of the tunnel. Anyway, here goes:

7/9/2017 - While stopped at a light, felt the car shudder and almost die. CEL came on, car recovered and ran fine. Once home, read CEL as P143C (environmental air temp sensor). Brought in to dealer and they identified the issue as a faulty sensor in the radiator. They replaced the radiator, and while there the car received the latest software update.

7/25/2017 - CEL came on, read as P12A8 (boost pressure sensor). Brought into dealer and they found faults for inlet air temp pressure sensor. They said that they ran a test plan and found that the pressure when the engine was off was slightly off from other MAP sensors. Said that they would be unable to diagnose further with the Dinan Sport in place, but would be happy to continue if I removed it. At this point I wasn't really zeroing in on the Dinan Sport as a cause.

At this point I'll add that the dealer is just over 100 miles from where we live, so it's not always convenient (or possible) to make visits on the fly. I say that to make up for the lack of repeat trips during these issues. Definitely not a fault of the dealer, as they've always been fantastic. Just a problem of geography.

8/10/2017 - CEL reappeared (boost pressure again), along with 3 separate drivetrain malfunction messages.

8/11/2017 - Removed Dinan Sport from the car. CEL turned off on its own the next day (I purposely didn't clear it to see if this would happen).

At this point the issues completely ceased. I sat the DS on a shelf and waited to see what would happen. After several weeks of smooth sailing I called Dinan to see if they had experienced anything like this. We spoke for a while about everything leading up to this point, and the guy I talked to was very courteous and helpful. We discussed the software update, and he said that they hadn't seen any issues relating to problems after a software update. He suggested to try reinstalling the unit, as we both came to the conclusion that perhaps during the radiator swap at the dealer one of the connectors was not properly re-seated (figured it was unplugged during the job). Yes, a potential longshot, but still worth eliminating as a possibility. It sat on the shelf for a bit longer before I put it back in. For a while (a couple of weeks) everything seemed to be fine, and I really thought it was resolved...

10/29/2017 - CEL on again, P10F3 (air pressure in comparison to barometric pressure too low; faulty boost pressure sensor). Drivetrain malfunction. I removed the DS later that day.

So, like others, the catalyst for me seems to have been that software update. Everything was peachy for 8 months, then once the software was updated all hell broke loose. Obviously I'm way past the return policy (and warranty) on the DS, so I'm not sure what the solution is. I'd really like to not have that $300 have been wasted. I haven't called Dinan back to get their take on everything, but at this point I don't know what they'd be able to do. I'm definitely not blaming them, as their product worked just fine until the update.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it can help add some pieces to the puzzle.
Another person returned the Dinan Sport unit to Dinan and did not have further issues with the replacement unit.

You have well-documented attempts to resolve the issue through the MINI dealer, including replacement of car parts. The issues started within the one year Dinan Sport unlimited mileage warranty period and this is documented.

Before throwing in the towel, I would request a replacement from Dinan and see if that solves the issue.

Don't know what setting on the Dinan you were running, but other than a Dinan product defect or some issue buried deep within the car itself that only rears its head when there's extra boost pressure, it's hard to imagine what the problem is.

If the software update was done properly and the software is causing the problem, then it would seem to suggest EVERYONE who has had the update and is running a Dinan Sport should have the same issue. And that's not happening.

Gotta rule out a bad Dinan box first. Gotta believe Dinan would be interested in helping you confirm or eliminate the Dinan as the culprit. I'd contact Dinan again. Just my 2 cents.

Please keep us posted.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:20 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Another person returned the Dinan Sport unit to Dinan and did not have further issues with the replacement unit.
I did, and the new owner is completely happy. (Now have Elite)

Old 12-02-2017, 11:24 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by 12AMF56

You might be past the return window, but Dinan should replace it, as you diagnosed the issues with the Sport installed, and spoke with Dinan on 8/11/2017 well within the warranty period.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:45 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Added Dinan Elite at 2,500 Miles. Easy setup, 2 weeks in and good power, no codes. I have a 2016 JCW with gauge pods and boost pressure shows a flat .5bar...expected as hiding boost is how it works. Only downside.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
A couple of posters on issues with the Sport module but no resolutions posted. Come on guys, what happened? 12AMF56 Sailingsumo

Old 03-23-2018, 06:44 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of posters on issues with the Sport module but no resolutions posted. Come on guys, what happened? 12AMF56 Sailingsumo
Sport module was working fine for me for a few thousand miles, but then the engine light was coming on / off intermittently. I recently pulled the module before a service visit and the engine light hasn't come back on. I'm hesitant to put the module back, but I miss the power!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
ByteTronik full flash and you will never have to worry about it again

Old 03-25-2018, 10:28 AM
jmc31100
1st Gear
Boost Gauge Question

I have just ordered my 2019 F56 JCW. Not sure how I'll tolerate the wait!

Two of the mods I'm looking to do are gauges (thinking boost and OP) and a Dinan tune (Sport or Elite TBD).

My question concerns the boost gauge. In my 2013 R56S I have the Craven Speed nGauge setup. I realize that, with the way these piggybacks tunes work, that an OBD based gauge would not be accurate as is is reading the tweaked pressure. However, would a physical boost gauge, as it is measuring the actual pressure, be accurate?

Thanks,
John

Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jmc31100
I have just ordered my 2019 F56 JCW. Not sure how I'll tolerate the wait!

Two of the mods I'm looking to do are gauges (thinking boost and OP) and a Dinan tune (Sport or Elite TBD).

My question concerns the boost gauge. In my 2013 R56S I have the Craven Speed nGauge setup. I realize that, with the way these piggybacks tunes work, that an OBD based gauge would not be accurate as is is reading the tweaked pressure. However, would a physical boost gauge, as it is measuring the actual pressure, be accurate?

Thanks,
John
OBD boost gauge and piggyback = no go. It will always read stock boost.

Boost gauge using a MAP sensor tap, the one that sits in between the sensor and manifold, will give you correct readings.

The following 3 users liked this post by trentiles:
2017All4 (03-26-2018), jmc31100 (03-26-2018), J_L (12-01-2019)
Old 03-26-2018, 02:42 PM
jmc31100
1st Gear
Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by trentiles
OBD boost gauge and piggyback = no go. It will always read stock boost.

Boost gauge using a MAP sensor tap, the one that sits in between the sensor and manifold, will give you correct readings.
Thanks for the response. Looks like I'll be hitting Craven Speed up for their gauge kit.

Thanks again,
John

Old 04-02-2018, 09:03 PM
MiniTony2
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have the ByteTronik 'Stage 1' flash and am happy with the results. Horsepower jumped around 34 and torque went up by a whopping 66 foot pounds. Impressive. Lots of bang for the buck. Back in the olden days you had to spend thousands to get those types of gains. Get off my lawn.

PS. I have a 16 JCW with no other mods.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:16 PM
mvt888
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever run into issues with higher boost pressure from these piggybacks? Ran across this discussion about cracked charge pipes.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1407066

Old 11-28-2019, 02:43 AM
wagon4me
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Power up follow up...1 year later

It’s been about a year later, and has there been any resolution to the CELs and codes being thrown by the updated DME and the Dinan sport modules ( or any other modules?) I want to get a DS as the price has gone down significantly, but don’t want to deal with the issues reported. I have a 2017 F54S. Thank you in advance.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:11 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wagon4me
It’s been about a year later, and has there been any resolution to the CELs and codes being thrown by the updated DME and the Dinan sport modules ( or any other modules?) I want to get a DS as the price has gone down significantly, but don’t want to deal with the issues reported. I have a 2017 F54S. Thank you in advance.
none that i have heard , still hearing issues reported . That’s why I decided on a different brand and never looked back.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:54 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Not aware of issues with the Sport Tuner (D440-0012). I had one on my 2017 Clubman S All4 for almost 20,000 miles over 3 trouble-free years. Left it installed for 3 annual service visits to the dealer. Removed it when I turned the car in last month and promptly plugged it into my new 2020 Clubman S All4 and we're ripping right along with extra boost and no issues thus far. I run it in Sport+ on 91 gas. Yes, the Bluetooth is funky, but that's not what I bought it for.

I believe some have struggled with the Elite, but many are enjoying success with them as well.

At $225 and free shipping, and a satisfaction guarantee, seems little risk is involved with trying the Sport. With, of course, the caveat that anything one plugs in is done at one's own risk, no matter what the warranty promises are.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:20 PM
wagon4me
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Power up ...1 year later

@ subzero05...what module are you using?
@2017All4 ...I agree, price is way better than before. Who did you buy from? If I can get a satisfaction guarantee, I’m good. Otherwise I may budget my money into something else. I think I would be happy enough with the sport model and save money for other goodies. Do you have a CAI also or just the sport module?

Quick Reply: JCW Power Up!!!