JCW Power Up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 08:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by GPMini
I got a $100 ECS gift card with the KW coilovers I purchased a couple months ago. That + black friday sale = cheap Dinan! WOOHOO!
Thanks for the orders

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-06-2016, 09:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Did you see the Clubman Sales? Looks like everyone wants one.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2016/12/...mbers-context/

Yep I knew they'd take off. Wait until the new Countryman starts selling. It outdid the HB in the R56 series once it got rolling. And it looks like the LAST 2015 COUPE and ROADSTER finally got sold. RIP 2 seater Minis, you're a rare breed indeed!

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 12-06-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, few R58 / R59 from last year still in stock. It was a great model. Glad I have one. The Paceman should be coming to an end also.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Maxim Chemerinskiy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered mine from ESCTuning, can't wait for it to reach Moscow. Hopefully it will get here before New Year.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:20 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@ecstuning I'm glad mini as a brand is doing good in certain areas. The wife would never have gone for the barn door. Plus I wanted the clubbie since it had all4 potential. I think the F55 was a good compromise for both of us. Happy wife happy life.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
Jb n18

Looking for a JB N18 for my R60 asap on the marketplace or if anyone has any ideas on where to get a deal on a new one please let me know!

Last edited by Chad Morin; 12-07-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by Maxim Chemerinskiy
Ordered mine from ESCTuning, can't wait for it to reach Moscow. Hopefully it will get here before New Year.
Thanks for the order

Old 12-07-2016, 04:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by MiniF55
@ecstuning I'm glad mini as a brand is doing good in certain areas. The wife would never have gone for the barn door. Plus I wanted the clubbie since it had all4 potential. I think the F55 was a good compromise for both of us. Happy wife happy life.
Yea, the new Clubman sales are impressive.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dinan Engineering
As long as you have a B38 or B48 engine in the car the same tune would work for your vehicle as well.

hey Dinan im hoping you can help. I work in the service department at a MINI dealership and we have been selling and installing these on customer cars and I had one come back in today with a code for charging pressure sensor, signal: Pressure too high during after run. Have you guys seen this yet? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Dinan Engineering
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiveostang
hey Dinan im hoping you can help. I work in the service department at a MINI dealership and we have been selling and installing these on customer cars and I had one come back in today with a code for charging pressure sensor, signal: Pressure too high during after run. Have you guys seen this yet? Any help would be appreciated.
Have a hair more then 700 in the field of the MINI applications at this point and I haven't heard of any real meaningful issues. Had a batch that apparently had a questionable BT chip as we had a week where there were a run that worked perfectly fine but the BT functionality didn't work or only worked 20% of the time. That has went by the wayside though and everything seems to be smooth again. Then you have the odd unit where the cable was too taut or pulled somewhere along the line and the connection to the circuit board is loose/unplugged. You can contact warranty to get a more technical response but it sounds like its probably an anomaly just based upon whats out there.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Maxim Chemerinskiy
Neutral
So at last the Dinan power box finally reached me. Installed it on my B38 Just a Cooper without seeming problems other than trying to disconnect the sensor in the narrow area behind the fan. While I was installing it, it snowed heavily, so I couldn't test it right away. The next day the whole city was one big traffic jam as it always is before new year when everyone is out to buy presents. Nevertheless, during short starts from traffic lights I could feel some improvement in power delivery.
I also had a struggle with my iPhone, the Dinan app needed newer iOS, so I had to install it. I finally did it and installed the app, it found the Dinan Sport device and connected to it, but I was very disappointed to find the there was no difference between the modes, even Valet and Race felt the same. What could I have done wrong?

Old 12-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Just placed an order for the Dinan module through ecs...pretty excited for it to ship on the 9th. 4700 miles on the car so far, sufficiently broken in I would imagine. Time to power up!

Old 01-03-2017, 12:57 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Is it me.. or...

Is it me, or...
Why get a Generic Chip, Dinan, NM Engineering Power Module etc... addon chip and pay $300 for 30hp, when for $600 you can get 63hp like a RaceChip TB.

I know that seat of your pants feel, vs real world. Pumping up by 30hp, it is not a Nitrous injected type of increase where you feel it ACROSS the board by an increase of 30HP. It is a progressive increase TO 30HP.

The car is faster, but more seat of the pants faster than real world, pull away from another car faster.

It is for this reason, that I would suggest people save there pennies and get a more "honest" feel of 63HP produced by say the RaceChip TB (or the likes). This kind of horsepower increase is more than a subjective seat of the pants type of increase. It is REAL World. Real passing power quick.

Cheers

Old 01-03-2017, 01:39 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by LormaD
Is it me, or...
Why get a Generic Chip, Dinan, NM Engineering Power Module etc... addon chip and pay $300 for 30hp, when for $600 you can get 63hp like a RaceChip TB.

I know that seat of your pants feel, vs real world. Pumping up by 30hp, it is not a Nitrous injected type of increase where you feel it ACROSS the board by an increase of 30HP. It is a progressive increase TO 30HP.

The car is faster, but more seat of the pants faster than real world, pull away from another car faster.

It is for this reason, that I would suggest people save there pennies and get a more "honest" feel of 63HP produced by say the RaceChip TB (or the likes). This kind of horsepower increase is more than a subjective seat of the pants type of increase. It is REAL World. Real passing power quick.

Cheers
Interestingly, Dinan, among others, reports solid gains lower on the RPM band, where the "feel" is important along with the added boost for passing, etc.

The other consideration is the comlexity of the tune. TMAP boxes tweak a single input which the car's DME responds to by making adjustments necessary to keep mixture and timing where it needs to be. Not the optimal solution for enhanced performance, but an easy plug-n-play solution without risking codes or other issues. Whereas more than 4 or 5 PSI of added boost, without doing other mods, brings complexity and some risk that those of us who lease our cars are reluctant to deal with.

Here's Dinan's claimed results with a Cooper S:

Old 01-03-2017, 02:02 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
I did 15 minutes of research and found as many "OMG don't use this POS" as "This is a wonderful product" Racechip reviews. While I am sure it is hit and miss, I haven't read one review about the NM module where the car stopped in the middle of the road and went into "limp mode".

Old 01-03-2017, 02:27 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy
I did 15 minutes of research and found as many "OMG don't use this POS" as "This is a wonderful product" Racechip reviews. While I am sure it is hit and miss, I haven't read one review about the NM module where the car stopped in the middle of the road and went into "limp mode".
At least one poster had his car throw a code with NM in race mode. But I have not read of any issues with the NM in the lower mode.

Certainly fuel can be an issue if the octane isn't high enough, especially if ambient temp is high. If all other systems are functioning properly, it's difficult to imagine that 3 or 4 PSI of added boost, using premium top tier pump gas, would be problematic. And, for sure, NM and Dinan, and JB have excellent and truly interested customer support.

This is not at all a knock on Race Chip or others. It's simply a matter of what one seeks. I spent $270 delivered for the Dinan and, other than the somewhat funky blue tooth functioning of the iphone app, my butt dyno satisfaction level is 10 out of 10.

I will also say that, in Race mode (+4PSI on Dinan), the performance gain is solid, but with the 8 speed automatic, the shifts are more pronounced than in Sport+ (+3PSI on Dinan), which isn't quite as punchy, but gives very smooth and noticeable boost.

But, if one wants the max, then it's probably necessary to do more than a simple TMAP plug-n-play box. Different options for different needs. It's the beautiful thing about MINI world -- something for everyone.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:06 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
At least one poster had his car throw a code with NM in race mode. But I have not read of any issues with the NM in the lower mode.
OK, that most likely happened after I had already bought the module. I have it in race mode all the time with no issues.

I don't want people to think I was ragging on the Racechip, just I was taken a back by the volume of of complaints I saw in comparison to the NM module.

To each their own. With any add-on part to a car it is "buyer beware" as well as "buyer be alert".

And not for nothing, if I wanted 300 BHP I would most likely invest in a Stage 3 tune rather than an add-on.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
TheGeekGuy says:"...if I wanted 300 BHP I would most likely invest in a Stage 3 tune rather than an add-on."

Yup. I've had very high HP performance cars before. Since I'm not a track day guy, my experience was, except for the very rare moment on a sweeping on ramp, most of the extra horses were never used, unless for some crazy reason I felt the need to smoke the tires and do a little fishtail to get the glands pumping.

And based on my conversations with Jerry at NM, plus comments on NAM forums, they are making a very solid product. I went for the Dinan because of price point and the somewhat unfulfilled promise of blue tooth functionality. And 4 PSI extra does it for me, at my advanced age.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:15 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I'm sure others have seen this:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/performance-tuners/

It appears to be the "Dinan" sport tuner box packaged with a Flowmaster label for other cars like Fords with ecoboost systems and sold in red plastic instead of Dinan black. And priced less than the Dinan for MINIs and BMWs.

Same wine in a different bottle???? Hummm.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:02 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
I'm sure others have seen this:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/performance-tuners/

It appears to be the "Dinan" sport tuner box packaged with a Flowmaster label for other cars like Fords with ecoboost systems and sold in red plastic instead of Dinan black. And priced less than the Dinan for MINIs and BMWs.

Same wine in a different bottle???? Hummm.
I just spotted that last night as well. When I saw the pics I couldn't help but immediately think of the Dinan module and at $239 seems like a great deal for the Ecoboost crowd. Interesting that only the 3.5L module has similar gains to the Dinan unit though.

Too bad my '86 Ecoboost can't use it, but that's OK, a few mods ago it was already at 270rwhp/310rwtq with the stock electronics to boot.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Squirrelly
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jobexo
Got to install the Dinantronics Sport Performance Tuner Saturday. A proper dyno test is in order but for now here are my impressions fwiw...
Feels tame as it could be in normal driving but start gunning it and the car turns to a totally different animal. I'm only in the Sport+ setting (there's still "Race") just because of the crap 91 octane gas I use. The car is "angrier" now for lack of a better word. It reaches redline and speeds up faster, with tach and speedo rising in tandem. Torque steer is crrrazy tho. My JCW is a manual and Redline power shifts from 1-2, 2-3, even 3-4 felt like the front wheels wanted to jump out of the axle. Maybe just a learning curve for me as this is my first FWD car, a good problem to have I guess. Overall super pleased with this purchase. A relatively cheap ($300 for +30whp) power upgrade from arguably the best BMW tuner in North America.
I note that you've experienced torque steer with the Dinan product and FWD - That's common with many FWD makes that are tuned. My chipped FWD 1999 Passat 1.8T displayed that behavior and it took some getting used to. Wouldn't torque steer be somewhat modulated with an AWD Mini?

Old 01-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Squirrelly
1st Gear
I've seen mention that some U.S. Mini dealers actually install the Dinan tuning module in their service department. I would assume that is essentially a de facto endorsement of the product and warranty issues are not an issue. OR... Is that a dealer to dealer variable?

Old 01-14-2017, 01:15 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Squirrelly
Wouldn't torque steer be somewhat modulated with an AWD Mini?
Torque steer is hardly noticeable on the Clubman S All4 with the Dinan. (8 speed automatic)

From a stop it pulls hard from all 4 corners with the Dinan in Race mode (+4PSI) with 91 gas and the car in sport mode with the dynamic dampers and heavier steering kicked in.

The trade off is, of course, the Clubby is heavier and has different dynamics than a JCW 2 door.

So far, it's keepin' me happy.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:22 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Squirrelly
Is that a dealer to dealer variable?
Dealer to dealer variable. MINI USA doesn't endorse the Dinan or the NM or the JB or any other box. The Dinan DOES NOT carry the same mechanical warranty protection Dinan offers for other products.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:44 AM
FasterSoonerNow
Neutral
Just got my Dinan from ECS! Did anyone else have a hard time removing the wiring harness from the pressure sensor? I tried pushing the tab out with the end of a flathead screwdriver and it went flying into the abyss that is the engine bay. In any case, with the tab gone it should come right off and it's not.

Quick Reply: JCW Power Up!!!