North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-429/)
-   -   JCW Original 18" Cup Spoke wheel F56 JCW (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/298414-original-18-cup-spoke-wheel-f56-jcw.html)

andersonspedini 01-27-2016 01:27 PM

Original 18" Cup Spoke wheel F56 JCW

First off all.... I would like to say sorry because I am bring back a top that probably already exist in this amazing forum. The problem is that I am a Brazilian guy and I am reading without stop for 3 days and unfortunately I didn't find the answer that I would like to have.

I have a F56 John Cooper Works with The Original 18" Cup Spoke. It came with a Dunlop Sportmaxx runflat 205/40/18.
My wife was driving and she damage the left front tire and there is no way to fix ... So I must buy new one.

Let's to the questions that I will be more than happy if someone could help me!

01) Without change any thing (camber, spacer,.... Changing nothing), can I put 215/40/18 tires?

02) I understood reading the forum that my wheel is in fact 18x7,0 instead 18x7,5 like the mini website says. Is that correct? If yes.... There is a way without changing anything to use a 225/40/18 or 235/35/18.

03) if the answer of number 1 question is NO. What should I do in terms of changing small things to make a 215/40/18 a available option without rub?

Finally.... What are the bigger size tire options that I can use without changing anything. And with small changing, what would be the size options?

Is there someone with pictures of F56 18" Cup Spoke with different size tires?

Thanks a lot!

02fanatic 01-27-2016 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by andersonspedini (Post 4168787)
First off all.... I would like to say sorry because I am bring back a top that probably already exist in this amazing forum. The problem is that I am a Brazilian guy and I am reading without stop for 3 days and unfortunately I didn't find the answer that I would like to have.

I have a F56 John Cooper Works with The Original 18" Cup Spoke. It came with a Dunlop Sportmaxx runflat 205/40/18.
My wife was driving and she damage the left front tire and there is no way to fix ... So I must buy new one.

Let's to the questions that I will be more than happy if someone could help me!

01) Without change any thing (camber, spacer,.... Changing nothing), can I put 215/40/18 tires?

02) I understood reading the forum that my wheel is in fact 18x7,0 instead 18x7,5 like the mini website says. Is that correct? If yes.... There is a way without changing anything to use a 225/40/18 or 235/35/18.

03) if the answer of number 1 question is NO. What should I do in terms of changing small things to make a 215/40/18 a available option without rub?

Finally.... What are the bigger size tire options that I can use without changing anything. And with small changing, what would be the size options?

Is there someone with pictures of F56 18" Cup Spoke with different size tires?

Thanks a lot!

I'll try to answer your questions....good questions by the way!

01) Yes

02) MINI configurator is wrong. The wheel width is not 7.5" wide, but 7.0" wide. I researched this thoroughly. 225's are about as wide as you dare go on a 7" rim, but it has been done. It might depend on the tire you choose how well it looks and feels. 215's are an easy swap, and close to spec OD. 235's will be too wide for a 7" rim...I wouldn't do that.

03) Answer to #1 is yes, so N/A

You can try various wheel & tire combinations, but sadly due to the large Brembos up front on the stock JCW wheel choice is extremely limited, and basically non-existent without using spacers. There are some wheels in the works, like NM's RSe12...great looking wheels...but they are not yet available afaik for the JCW...in another month or so maybe.

With spacers, you can get some wheels to work...8" wide is probably as wide as you dare go...and ET45 seems to be about the max for offset. The body curvature on the MINI leaves little choice for pushing the wheels outward since the lower part of the fender opening will expose much of the tire.....you might want to add mud flaps!

Hope this helps! Others will chime in with more info I'm sure, but I believe what I've said is correct.

Good luck,

John

andersonspedini 01-27-2016 02:55 PM

02fanatic!

I really appreciate your answers and solve many off my questions. Thanks for that.
I understood 215/40/18 with my 18x7" is oK,

Just because I have a English limitation, could someone confirm that FOR SURE I can put a 225/40/18 in my 18x7 cup spoke without spacers or changing anything that I will be all right? F56 JCW has enough space to use a 225/40/18 without rub or other bad things?

I appreciate your attention John!

Thanks for all

knecht 01-27-2016 03:54 PM

You will need spacers to run 225/40/18's. I have Continental DWS 06's and without spacers they would rub.

andersonspedini 01-27-2016 05:55 PM

Knecht,

Thanks for your answers.
I understood you have a 225/40R18 with JCW Cup Spoke with 12mm in front and 15mm rear.
Just a few more questions.

01-) Did you change anything in camber or other thing in your suspension system?

02-) Could you confirm if you have a variable damper suspension or the sport suspension option? In my JCW I have a variable damper. Do you know if your spacer will work in both options?

03-) Isn't there any rub problem? ( with full load trunk? With full back sit passenger? With full brake? Braking during corners? Full corners wheel apply ? )

04-) Could you send some fotos of your Mini so we could see the differences?

05-) Could you share your experience in advantages and disadvantages with this 225/40 set up? ( fuel consumption, 0-60 is fast or slower, grip in corners has a big difference...??? )

06-) Finally.... Did you have to change the pressure tire sensor? The original 205/40/18 was 48front/45rear full load and 45front/42rear normal use. How much pressure you are using in the 225 tires?

Sorry about many questions..... But you have the acknowledged!!! YOU ARE A EXPERTISE IN THIS TOPIC!

Thanks brother

knecht 01-30-2016 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by andersonspedini (Post 4168861)
Knecht,

Thanks for your answers.
I understood you have a 225/40R18 with JCW Cup Spoke with 12mm in front and 15mm rear.
Just a few more questions.

01-) Did you change anything in camber or other thing in your suspension system? No

02-) Could you confirm if you have a variable damper suspension or the sport suspension option? In my JCW I have a variable damper. Do you know if your spacer will work in both options? I have DDC as well. The spacers will not affect DDC.

03-) Isn't there any rub problem? ( with full load trunk? With full back sit passenger? With full brake? Braking during corners? Full corners wheel apply ? ) I haven't experienced any rubbing

04-) Could you send some fotos of your Mini so we could see the differences?
It's finally nice here today. I think I will wash her and take a few pics.

05-) Could you share your experience in advantages and disadvantages with this 225/40 set up? ( fuel consumption, 0-60 is fast or slower, grip in corners has a big difference...??? ) Fuel consumption is down, only a couple miles per gallon. Cornering is much better with the spacers and wider tires. I also have the NM sway bar so that has helped as well.

06-) Finally.... Did you have to change the pressure tire sensor? The original 205/40/18 was 48front/45rear full load and 45front/42rear normal use. How much pressure you are using in the 225 tires? Still using the original tire pressure sensor. No reason to change them. I will have to check tire pressure, as I haven't had to fill them since being installed.

Sorry about many questions..... But you have the acknowledged!!! YOU ARE A EXPERTISE IN THIS TOPIC!

Thanks brother

My responses are above in red.

02fanatic 01-30-2016 07:19 AM

Knecht,

Few questions about your setup:

1. Stock JCW 18" x 7" cup spoke wheels?
2. What kind of 225/40/18 tires you running?
3. Without the 12mm spacers up front I assume you got rubbing on the struts right?.....or did you push the wheels out mainly for the looks & better stance?
4. 15mm spacers on the rear for the look & stance as well?
5. How do the 225's look on the 7" wide rims? Any mushy feel at all or is it solid?
6. I assume no runflats correct?

Thanks for your input, as I may do something similar if I don't go with aftermarket wheels at some point. I just do not like the look of the skinny stock 205's on the JCW..."where's the beef?" LOL!

Pics please!

Thanks,

John

andersonspedini 01-31-2016 02:25 PM

!!!!

Knecht

Thanks brother !!!

Eddie07S 05-26-2016 08:46 AM

Posted on wrong thread

veevsato 05-27-2016 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by knecht (Post 4168832)
You will need spacers to run 225/40/18's. I have Continental DWS 06's and without spacers they would rub.

I just received the same spacers you have this week. Plan on installing them this weekend to get a better idea on what width tire I want to go with. I have the same rims and stock tires. Can't decide on 215's or 225's. I noticed in your signature that you are running 225/40. I currently have about +2 mph error in my speedo with the stock tires. What error do you see with the 225/40s? I would guess that would probably put me around -1 on my speedo. 225/35 seems closer to stock diameter, but I don't see many in that size. Definitely not on the Pilot Sport AS 3+ that I am leaning towards.

veevsato 06-02-2016 06:31 AM

wheel spacers

Question for anyone. I purchased spacers from ACS tune. They have been very responsive to my questions, but I wanted to bounce this question out here too before I install them. It seems that the spacer's diameter is a little smaller than the hub of my rotor. If you look at the photo, you can see that it is about 1/4" to 3/8" smaller. You can also see the contact point of the wheel on the hub and it is a little larger. ACS is saying it will be fine and I think I agree with them, but I am afraid that the overhang may put more stress on the bolt holes during cornering. Am I overthinking this?

ACS tune, if you read this, don't be offended. It's not you, its me. Just another paranoid motorer.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...e54b9acbb9.jpg

02fanatic 11-06-2018 12:39 PM

Sorry, posted this in the wrong section by accident.......I have no clue how that happened. Good info for those interested anyway! ....see below:

Saw this in my BMW CCA Newsletter email today (11-6-18):

"With no place to run its championship-winning Mini JCWs in 2019, Luis Perocarpi’s LAP Motorsports team will run a pair of Honda Civic TCR cars in the Michelin Pilot Challenge series. LAP’s Minis won five races on the way to the Street Tuner manufacturer’s championship in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge series in 2018, but the Street Tuner class has been phased out of the series for 2019, and Michelin has replaced Continental as the series’ entitlement sponsor."