JCW with Dynamic Damper Control ? - Page 2 - North American Motoring


JCW with Dynamic Damper Control ?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 10-23-2017, 03:02 PM
rtowell's Avatar
rtowell rtowell is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 209
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have DDC on my F56 JCW and I am very pleased with them. The ride is good and well controlled in normal mode. I added the NM 25mm rear sway bar and have no issues with the handling. For a daily driver, DDC is a very good option to go with.

BMW has used it for years so it is a well developed and proven system.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 AM
thirdraildesignlab's Avatar
thirdraildesignlab thirdraildesignlab is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,842
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just discovered i have DDC. I wanted no DDC but we built my 2019 prior to the new order packages and brute forced it so this fell through the cracks. The only implication is that my car is at the shop preparing for coilovers and rear sway install... and I have the wrong coilovers, ha.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 AM
TVPostSound TVPostSound is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 1,276
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab View Post
I just discovered i have DDC. I wanted no DDC but we built my 2019 prior to the new order packages and brute forced it so this fell through the cracks. The only implication is that my car is at the shop preparing for coilovers and rear sway install... and I have the wrong coilovers, ha.
Put springs on em, and call it a day!!
Im so happy with the H&Rs on DDC.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-13-2018, 12:26 PM
nclorax's Avatar
nclorax nclorax is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had an 2005 MCS R53. Just got a F56 JCW without DDC. Ride is so smooth compared to the R53 that I think I would fall asleep while driving if I had gotten the DDC. From what I understand the sportiest setting on the DDC is still not as sporty as just the plain sport suspension. Don't get DDC use the money you save to upgrade the sway bar and chassis braces.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-13-2018, 02:22 PM
TVPostSound TVPostSound is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 1,276
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclorax View Post
Had an 2005 MCS R53. Just got a F56 JCW without DDC. Ride is so smooth compared to the R53 that I think I would fall asleep while driving if I had gotten the DDC. From what I understand the sportiest setting on the DDC is still not as sporty as just the plain sport suspension. Don't get DDC use the money you save to upgrade the sway bar and chassis braces.
DDC in sport mode is much stiffer from Sport suspension.
Not based on what I understand, based on driving BOTH.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 AM
nclorax's Avatar
nclorax nclorax is offline
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
DDC in sport mode is much stiffer from Sport suspension.
Not based on what I understand, based on driving BOTH.
Darn it, I should have ordered that. I wanted stiffest suspension and was told the DDC highest setting was not as stiff as the standard JCW Sport Suspension. Oh well, getting KW V2 on it so maybe that will stiffing it up some more.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 AM
TVPostSound TVPostSound is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 1,276
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Mind you the sport springs and Seay bars are slightly bigger and stiffer.
The DDC dampers stiffen the suspension above sport.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 AM
02fanatic 02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 844
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
You need to read this thread!....DDC is NOT stiffer than the Sport Suspension!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 AM
TheBigNewt TheBigNewt is offline
OVERDRIVE
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,078
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The Gen 3 cars might be different but on the Gen 2 cars the springs and dampers are the same on the Sport Suspension (which I have) as on the standard the difference is the thicker sway bars.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
TVPostSound TVPostSound is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 1,276
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
You need to read this thread!....DDC is NOT stiffer than the Sport Suspension!

Why because someone chose an arbitrary 30% or 10% number from the internet??

I drove a Sport suspension F56, and the DDC F56. I chose the DDC because in sport mode IT WAS stiffer than the sport suspension.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-14-2018, 11:39 AM
TheBigNewt TheBigNewt is offline
OVERDRIVE
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,078
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Why because someone chose an arbitrary 30% or 10% number from the internet??

I drove a Sport suspension F56, and the DDC F56. I chose the DDC because in sport mode IT WAS stiffer than the sport suspension.
I bet that's true. Because with the DDC at least you can make it softer. The way I understand it people who get the SS want better handling (ie steering) which you get with stiffer sway bars. I think a lot of 'em would be pissed if the coilovers were stiffer and made the car ride harsher. I don't think my JCW with the SS rides any different than my 2007 MCS which I added a rear sway bar to.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-14-2018, 02:16 PM
02fanatic 02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 844
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Why because someone chose an arbitrary 30% or 10% number from the internet??

I drove a Sport suspension F56, and the DDC F56. I chose the DDC because in sport mode IT WAS stiffer than the sport suspension.
No, because it doesn't make sense. But, everybody has an opinion. It sounds like you drove two different cars. Were they both JCW's? Why would DDC be stiffer than stock sport suspension on the F56 JCW? The whole idea of the DDC is to soften the ride not make it harsher (at least on the JCW).

You are the only one that I've seen say what you are saying, that's all. Now, if you go with the pro suspension coilovers, or other setups, that can change everything. But the stock sport suspension on the JCW is the firmest stock setting available, based on everything I've read. Now, if DDC had multiple settings, it sort of makes sense that there may be a track (i.e. stiffer) setting, but I've never read this in MINI specifications or anywhere. I'm from Missouri, so I'd have to be "shown" otherwise.

I hope we're talking the same thing.....because the DDC is available on standard suspensions where the DDC in sport mode is "stiffer", but not as applied to the JCW sport suspension.

Maybe I'm just missing your point. Hopefully, someone chimes in to clarify. As it is, I think I'm confusing myself!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM
TVPostSound TVPostSound is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 1,276
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
No, because it doesn't make sense. But, everybody has an opinion. It sounds like you drove two different cars. Were they both JCW's? Why would DDC be stiffer than stock sport suspension on the F56 JCW? The whole idea of the DDC is to soften the ride not make it harsher (at least on the JCW).

You are the only one that I've seen say what you are saying, that's all. Now, if you go with the pro suspension coilovers, or other setups, that can change everything. But the stock sport suspension on the JCW is the firmest stock setting available, based on everything I've read. Now, if DDC had multiple settings, it sort of makes sense that there may be a track (i.e. stiffer) setting, but I've never read this in MINI specifications or anywhere. I'm from Missouri, so I'd have to be "shown" otherwise.

I hope we're talking the same thing.....because the DDC is available on standard suspensions where the DDC in sport mode is "stiffer", but not as applied to the JCW sport suspension.

Maybe I'm just missing your point. Hopefully, someone chimes in to clarify. As it is, I think I'm confusing myself!
The factory SPORT, on a JCW and S SPORT are the same suspensions, as is the JCW STANDARD, and S STANDARD.

If you are talking about the JCW suspension kit, that is an after sale install.
Thats a horse of a different color.

DDC does have multiple settings,
soft, mid and sport, the sport mode becomes a stiffer damper than the factory sport dampers.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-14-2018, 02:35 PM
TVPostSound TVPostSound is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 1,276
Thanked 86 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
The Gen 3 cars might be different but on the Gen 2 cars the springs and dampers are the same on the Sport Suspension (which I have) as on the standard the difference is the thicker sway bars.
Gen 2 had sport dampers and springs, they were jarring as hell, I went with standard on my R56.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-16-2018, 05:02 AM
02fanatic 02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 844
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Ok, during a test drive yesterday for our 2nd MINI, a slightly used R60 Countryman, I asked the MA about the sport suspension and DDC. The stock sport suspension on the JCW cannot become stiffer if you add DDC....the DDC will only soften the ride. I think this is what I said before. This has nothing to do with pro suspension coilovers!

The sport suspension is 30% stiffer than the stock suspension. DDC on a stock suspension MINI can stiffen the suspension, but it will not be stiffer than the sport suspension.

Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-16-2018, 09:46 AM
siriuszero's Avatar
siriuszero siriuszero is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 1,595
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Why because someone chose an arbitrary 30% or 10% number from the internet??

I drove a Sport suspension F56, and the DDC F56. I chose the DDC because in sport mode IT WAS stiffer than the sport suspension.
the 10% / 30% figures have been quoted by MINI themselves (MotoringFile references them here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2015/01/...ers-out-of-us/).

The DDC is not as stiff as the sport suspension, but does offer two settings: Normal and Sport. MID/GREEN modes will use the Normal setting and SPORT mode can be configured to use either the stiffer Sport setting or the softer Normal setting. Wheels and tires will of course affect ride as well.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:27 AM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan KYDan is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 378
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is an interesting and long lived thread. We picked up our 2016 JCW in November of 2015 and it has been a love affair ever since. The car is definitely the most fun mobile we have ever had. We do have the dynamic damper control and find it suits our needs for about 90% of our driving. However, one of our best driving buddies just traded his mini in on a new Subaru WRX and to say the handling was impressive is an understatement. It is one bad A family car! It was all I could do to hang with him on the Tail of the Dragon and I was driving at my limit and he was new to the Subaru. However, the Subaru left me flat as far as the fun factor the mini has. But, it was definitely a better performer than the mini. I am still impatiently waiting for the GP to become available and I really think I want one, but I will keep the JCW as a daily driver even though it has almost 35,000 miles on it. It has been a good and faithful fun mobile since day one and has not had any real issues. The DDC was/is a good option for my needs and wants for a daily driver, and a frequent twister as we have a plethora of good backroads in Kentucky and occasional track duty. If I could only have one car it would be the F56 JCW as it is a good value multiple use auto. It would be a better performer if I put some good MSSs on it, but I prefer the all season for year round use without changing tires 2-3 times a year.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:48 AM
02fanatic 02fanatic is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 844
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Hey Dan, I finally have a dipstick & a CD player! Bought a 2015 Countryman S All4 for my wife! I’m going to yank the runflats and go with what you have on your JCW...it will help her back too! I just need to swap out the ugly stock 17” wheels to those gorgeous 18” silver multi-spoke mini style wheels & it will be all set....pick it up next week. The rubber is also much wider on the 18”s!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:57 AM
KYDan's Avatar
KYDan KYDan is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frankfort Kentucky USA
Posts: 378
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do have dipstick envy, I don't bond well with electronic nannies! Cool, on the countryman, AWD is a definite winner! It would be interesting if they would try it on the hatch or GP! Yep, I am not a RF fan of any sort.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM
thirdraildesignlab's Avatar
thirdraildesignlab thirdraildesignlab is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,842
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Welp, I'm swapping out the coilovers for the DDC versions of the same model. Onward!
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JCW Aero Front Bumper retrofit JIM_GRAHAM R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) 13 06-30-2016 06:53 AM
JCW Big Brake Kit for F54 F55 F56 WayMotorWorks F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) 7 01-06-2016 09:53 PM
JCW Christmas presents in my Stocking!!! RDSJCW JCW Garage 12 01-04-2016 01:26 PM
JCW Aero Kit paint help Mib4840 R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) 1 01-02-2016 04:28 AM
Mini Cooper Jcw Air Filter Value Line R52 Thru R57 Mini Mania Drivetrain Products 0 12-24-2015 10:32 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.


North American Motoring is an independently operated web site supporting MINI owners and enthusiastsworldwide. As such it has no official relationship with MINI USA, BMW AG, or BMW of North America.All original artwork and design is Copyright © 2002-2004 North American Motoring.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: