North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-230/)
-   -   Spring Recommendation Needed (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/285069-spring-recommendation-needed.html)

Laura & Gary 03-14-2015 10:46 AM

Spring Recommendation Needed

'06 JCW with sport suspension. I have koni yellow's ready to go on and am looking to match some springs to them.

I want to keep the same ride height as the factory setup... so... any recommendations?

WayMotorWorks 03-14-2015 11:17 AM

There are no aftermarket springs that keep the stock ride height as everyone normally wants to lower their car.

We have our TSW springs which lower the car an approx 3/4 inch, but everything else will lower it more.

myles2go 03-14-2015 06:17 PM

Look at swift springs! They'll be great with the Konis.

Laura & Gary 03-23-2015 07:27 AM

Thanks Way! Ordering the TSW's today with some strut tower reinforcement plates.

Minibeagle 02-12-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks (Post 4056500)
There are no aftermarket springs that keep the stock ride height as everyone normally wants to lower their car.

So if I understand this correctly, installing Koni yellows with Swift springs (4X901R Spec-R Sport Lowering Springs) will result in my 2006 JCW riding slightly lower than with its stock suspension setup (oem jcw dampers and JCW red springs)?

AeroJammin 02-12-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Minibeagle (Post 4367397)
So if I understand this correctly, installing Koni yellows with Swift springs (4X901R Spec-R Sport Lowering Springs) will result in my 2006 JCW riding slightly lower than with its stock suspension setup (oem jcw dampers and JCW red springs)?

keep in in mind that the JCW dampers and JCW red springs will be about 10mm lower than the OE sport suspension so even the OEM JCW suspension would be lower than factory stock.

Whine not Walnuts 02-12-2018 02:49 PM

The JCW red springs provide a 10mm drop where Way's TSW are a 3/4"/20mm drop. There are some coilovers that will drop from 3/4" and more, Megan is one that comes to mind.

Even the 3/4" would probably require longer front end links. Way should know if 2006 rear control arm has enough adjustment for a 3/4" drop

pnwR53S 02-12-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Minibeagle (Post 4367397)

I took this measurements today. I measured from axle center to top of wheel arch. You can measure against yours as it is independent of wheel or tire size. I note that the springs do settle a little bit that they are now about 8 months old.

Front = 13.0 inch
Rear = 13.4 inch

The Mini has a nice rake.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...76b72a02d8.jpg

It is important to note that the Swift springs has slightly higher spring rate at the rear than the front. I suspect it is due to the suspension geometry (think wheel rates) of the R53 as well as to achieve certain handling characteristics. Swift is unloved as no supporting vendors sell them.

Minibeagle 02-13-2018 07:26 AM

Thanks for the input guys, but I'm not looking for a setup with TSW springs. I'm looking at getting Koni yellows with Swift 4X901R Spec-R Sport Lowering Springs. Wondering how much lower the 2006 JCW will sit when compared to my oem JCW suspension.

Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts (Post 4367461)
Way should know if 2006 rear control arm has enough adjustment for a 3/4" drop

I'd love to reach out to Way and actually buy everything I need from him but I can't. Ever since he blocked anyone outside the US from accessing his web site I now have to rely on other vendors, which sucks because I could trust Way on advice and service 100%.

NC TRACKRAT 02-13-2018 02:23 PM

Minibeagle, I'm going out on a limb here but I think the difference will be negligible, certainly less than 1/2 inch. Each vehicle has it's own particular ride height, even with identical equipment. That said, my 2005 MCS with Swift Springs and Koni Yellows is very close to my wife's MINI GP ride height.

WayMotorWorks 02-13-2018 06:46 PM

Since you are in CN you can actually get our TSW springs from Outmotoring as they ship internationally and our one of our dealers.

Minibeagle 02-15-2018 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks (Post 4367929)
Since you are in CN you can actually get our TSW springs from Outmotoring as they ship internationally and our one of our dealers.

That's awesome Way. I never noticed this before. Like I've said before, you are the man :thumbsup: