North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-230/)
-   -   Should I upgrade my 200jcw tune to the 210jcw tune, or WMW Quick Tune? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/284669-should-i-upgrade-my-200jcw-tune-to-the-210jcw-tune-or-wmw-quick-tune.html)

IQRaceworks 03-05-2015 10:04 AM

Should I upgrade my 200jcw tune to the 210jcw tune, or WMW Quick Tune?

I’ve got a little bit of a conundrum. What would you do? (see below..sorry, it’s a little long).

I have a daily driver 03’ JCW MCS with the dealer installed 03’ 200hp JCW kit. Unlike the factory kits that started being installed at the end of 04’, the dealer installed kits did not come with the 380cc injectors (200hp kit used the standard 340cc ones), or the JCW intake. The updated 210hp JCW kit came with the 380cc injectors and JCW intake….and a new 210JCW flash.

So….that being said, here are the mods I’ve done to my 03’ JCW (in addition to the JCW 200hp tune, JCW exhaust, JCW head ,JCW sparkplugs).

*swaped JCW pulley for a WMW 17% pulley (16psi boost w/ JCW head)
*Piper Cross Intake

My next mod is to add a set of Bosch 380cc injectors….I have them, just haven’t put them in yet. I also have a Innovate Motorsports MTX-L AFR gauge kit on the way, and I’m going to install that and log my AFR’s with my current 340cc injectors, then with the new 380cc injectors. I’m interested to see how lean the thing is really running with the 340cc injectors. It seems to run really well.

Based off of everything I’ve read, heard, and seen……with the new 380cc injectors, the AFR’s are going to be richer at cold start, and also at WOT. I’m guessing that’s not what I really want in the long run, even though it might be totally drivable, so I’m going to have to do something with the 200hp JCW tune that the car currently has since it was designed for the 340cc injectors.

My quickest option is to send my DME to WMW and have it flashed with either the JCW 210hp tune, or have it flashed with the WMW “Quick Tune” set up for the 380cc injectors.

I’m on the fence about what tune I want. I’m just looking for a tune that will work well with the 380cc injectors (and both should). The thing that interests me about the WMW Quick Tune flash is that it looks like it may take care of some of the issues that you see with the factory S/JCW tunes like the typical 2500-3000 rpm flat spot, and the sluggish throttle response. From the description of the Quick Tune on the WMW website, it almost sounds like it would do more to improve things than the oem 210JCW tune. The 210JCW flash will pretty much be a total reprogram of the DME, but the Quick Tune will just adjust a few maps on my 200hp JCW tune to get it running good with the 380cc injectors.

Should I go with the 210JCW or the WMW Quick Tune? I’m probably overthinking this whole thing, I’m sure either tune will work just fine.

Comments?

ExclusiveWorkshops 05-20-2015 09:10 AM

Having got one, I would only recommend a BytetroniK tune, I have the 550 injectors, as mine were 86% at 5k, so didn't waste anymore time knowing they would hit the optimal 92%. I have 17% and added the JCW airbox.

Tip there is use the box, but don't do what some do and gut the flap, just fit it maybe as they say, or remove the disc they give you for the lower rear intake, as that is why you hear the supercharger noise on a standard car. They blank it off so you hear a rush of noise at 4.5k, but it makes you use more throttle really, and some incorrectly assume it is because of the flap being closed. It isn't. Don't forget there is still the front intake, so just leave the disc out which makes it as standard, then the flap also opens at 4.5k.

The car only takes the air it wants.

Mine isn't a JCW, frankly in my opinion they're not worth the money, and is to do with the John Cooper branding only, just my thoughts though, so I will get a head done, but elsewhere.

Even with a standard head, but with a cam only, there is around 220 bhp, but more significantly, the car can do 42mpg now, which will improve with the head.

I had a remap before I did anything else, but now have a proper, adjustable solution, and no longer have the traction control warning or eml on with hard throttle like before. It is without doubt, a very good solution.

They will do a remote map, and I too have the Innovate AFR gauge, which plugs into the Datalogger they supply with the FA kit. It shows all the data.

Schmagagled 06-03-2015 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ExclusiveWorkshops (Post 4083478)
Tip there is use the box, but don't do what some do and gut the flap, just fit it maybe as they say, or remove the disc they give you for the lower rear intake, as that is why you hear the supercharger noise on a standard car. They blank it off so you hear a rush of noise at 4.5k, but it makes you use more throttle really, and some incorrectly assume it is because of the flap being closed. It isn't. Don't forget there is still the front intake, so just leave the disc out which makes it as standard, then the flap also opens at 4.5k.

I have a JCW airbox and in fact have the thing apart to clean the filter and re-oil.

I'm trying to visualize this "lower disc they give you for the rear intake". All I remember seeing was the front intake and the flap that's controlled by the vacuum motor at the back of the intake box cover.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Thanks,

Schmagagled

ZippyNH 06-03-2015 10:35 AM

Sounds like you are picking your tune based on cost....
To be honest, I doubt you'll u would feel a 10 hp change....
I have been told going from the jcw this the jcw210 on a pre facelift car is MOSTLY TIMEING ADVANCE, and an adjusted map for the 380's...and remember the extra power will be at the top end ..cost effective mod...I doubt it, but if you want to mod, get the last HP out of it...at this point IMO go custom....spend the extra few $$.
So consider any change to be about drivability....
So I might suggest custom or nothing....sure the quick tune will match up closer to what you have than the dealer jcw210 maps....but will still be a "dealer style" tune aggressiveness wise" since it must work on most any car with similar mods out if the box, the 210,000 mile ones and 40,000 miles ones....

ExclusiveWorkshops 06-06-2015 04:54 AM

I don't think so,

At the back of either airbox, below the flap, there is a rubber boot that sits against the bulkhead plastic, and on a standard airbox you can see or poke through it, so it takes air rom the rear anyway, but on the JCW box, they insert a plastic disc so the box only takes air from the rear at 4.5k.

Either leave it in for the supercharger sound at 4.5k, or remove it for the sound all the standard cars have all the time.

Ronin1 06-06-2015 05:30 AM

but more significantly, the car can do 42mpg now, which will improve with the head.

What? Maybe on a flatbed? Not even remotely possible with a gen 1 S.

Okay, maybe at 40/45 mph in sixth.

MINIAC 06-06-2015 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ronin1 (Post 4089694)

... the car can do 42mpg now, which will improve with the head.

What? Maybe on a flatbed? Not even remotely possible with a gen 1 S.

Okay, maybe at 40/45 mph in sixth.

I believe ExclusiveWorkshops is in the UK, so 42mpg converts (by dividing by 1.2) to 35mpg in the US :wink:

ZippyNH 06-06-2015 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by MINIAC (Post 4089765)
I believe ExclusiveWorkshops is in the UK, so 42mpg converts (by dividing by 1.2) to 35mpg in the US :wink:

The magic of the "imperial" gallons.....it has an extra quart of fuel...

ExclusiveWorkshops 06-06-2015 12:08 PM

:-) constant speeds around 90 up to 120 is 38.7 over 270 miles, and just yesterday a reset before a less aggressive 230 mile run of 80 and up to 130 also still 37.9 and needing a remap, usually at the 70 limits with normal driving about is 42. Now mapped yesterday to correct a change, it may get better.

Was 188whp now 209whp, no big alteration, mainly rockers changed.

NC TRACKRAT 02-13-2019 08:18 AM

Deleted post. Somehow, my post went to the wrong thread.