JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Is a cam worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:03 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts
Is a cam worth it?

I have a 200 HP JCW that has no modifications aside from an ATI super damper. I was thinking about doing some more mods for a little bump in power. I'm not sure if the 210 HP upgrade is worth the money so maybe a cam?
Or, is a cam not worth doing until I open up the intake and install larger injectors ? (read upgrade to the 210hp JCW).

Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 AM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 200 JCW also was a early one so I didnt have the CAI or 380cc injectors. I started by putting a 15% pulley (the JCW is like 13.8 %)also put a Dinan CAI and a header the stock header is a bottleneck. I then added the 380cc injectors. She runs like a scalded ape right now. I have plans to add the LSD I picked up recently along with the RMW cam and a ported polished head that I have sitting in the garage, I just don't have the money or the wifes approval to spend the money having those goodies installed right now. This car has been truly an addiction.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Header & Injectors 1st, besides a pulley change any other big performance upgrade (cam, head.....) will need these things anyway, so get them out of the way first.

I did it backwards originally, head then header, it really suck'd spending all that money on a head and only getting a portion of the gain simply because I was choking it.

Oh, and IMO the Header/JCW exhaust combo is one of the best working & sounding combo's.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 08-17-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
Are there any street legal headers out there? I searched around and saw some that came with high flow cats, but weren't CARB legal.
Will these throw a CEL? Will I pass inspection? I really don't want to deal with those kinds of headaches.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
The only problem you should ever have with the Header itself is if you get some real PITA inspector that catches you on a visual, and even then it's nit that easy to differentiate between the stock unless you know specificlly what you're looking at.
90% of legality is with the CAT, a lot of high flows will throw a code, but time and time again the OEM has been the best option for our cars anyway, they don't throw codes, last longer because of standing up to the heat better and our engines actually like a little back pressure.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use the Mynes V2 header, it uses a fabricated OEM cat. Has worked great and not one
CEL for several years now.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
What is your driving style?
A cam will usually enhance the top end of the rpm range or maybe the middle with a "street" cam...so be sure to pick the RIGHT cam...
But it is a slippery slope...you toss in a cam...the might as well do bigger injectors and a tune to get the most out of it.....

Old 08-22-2013, 04:12 PM
mrbean
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
What is your driving style?
A cam will usually enhance the top end of the rpm range or maybe the middle with a "street" cam...so be sure to pick the RIGHT cam...
But it is a slippery slope...you toss in a cam...the might as well do bigger injectors and a tune to get the most out of it.....
My driving style depends on traffic . When the old people get out of my way I'll be bumping the rev limiter as I'm coming off the apex.

I'd rather not lose too much bottom end, so I'm starting to rethink if a cam is the right first step.
Thanks for all the info. It looks like a header is in my future, probably more thereafter.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:37 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Found it kinda hard to justify the $$ for a tune, but IMO it has been well worth it...still glad I spent the $$.
It improved drivability with a nice bit of low end tq....
Not sure about how much $$ you want to spend, but for my S, the combo of the extra HP, tq, and reduced DSC intervention, it has been great.
If you can do a cam or a header, and add a tune (maybe injectors too...talk to the tuner), I think you will be very happy.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:01 PM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Found it kinda hard to justify the $$ for a tune, but IMO it has been well worth it...still glad I spent the $$.
It improved drivability with a nice bit of low end tq....
Not sure about how much $$ you want to spend, but for my S, the combo of the extra HP, tq, and reduced DSC intervention, it has been great.
If you can do a cam or a header, and add a tune (maybe injectors too...talk to the tuner), I think you will be very happy.
Quick question...im planning on getting a cam, header and injectors for my next performance mod I just dont know which injectors would be better m7 400cc injectors, m7 440cc, or 450cc from RMW also do you know if you need a tune up right away or can you run the 400, 440 or 450cc injectors without a tune...I know you need it for the 550cc just wondering if it could work for a little while or shoul I save up and just have it all done at once.
I am planning on getting an RMW cam and header.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ccccPUNISHER
Quick question...im planning on getting a cam, header and injectors for my next performance mod I just dont know which injectors would be better m7 400cc injectors, m7 440cc, or 450cc from RMW also do you know if you need a tune up right away or can you run the 400, 440 or 450cc injectors without a tune...I know you need it for the 550cc just wondering if it could work for a little while or shoul I save up and just have it all done at once. I am planning on getting an RMW cam and header.
Any injectors larger than 380cc will need a tune. I run the cam, header and 450cc from RMW as well as an RMW tune. You can sell your 380's here at the marketplace for almost enough to cover the 450's. Lots of ppl want the 380's because that is as large as you can go without a tune. If you are going to do it, do it right. You won't be disappointed. I even get better mpg with all the mods and tune than what I did before I started modding.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:52 PM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Swimbaxter
Any injectors larger than 380cc will need a tune. I run the cam, header and 450cc from RMW as well as an RMW tune. You can sell your 380's here at the marketplace for almost enough to cover the 450's. Lots of ppl want the 380's because that is as large as you can go without a tune. If you are going to do it, do it right. You won't be disappointed. I even get better mpg with all the mods and tune than what I did before I started modding.
Thanks for the quick reply and the info...ill definetely wait and do it right...what kind of power did you make with that set up?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ccccPUNISHER
Thanks for the quick reply and the info...ill definetely wait and do it right...what kind of power did you make with that set up?
I really wish I had hard numbers from a Dyno but I don't . I remote tuned until Jan at RMW tweaked at MOTD. He said it was strong but I have no idea how to convert that to actual numbers. If my JCW started with 210hp, I would guess that the tune alone gave me 20 plus the cam, pulley, header etc should have added another 10-15. Who knows. I do know it screams but is also pretty smooth. I think I got everything I could get for my budget. If I win the lottery I'll get the RMW head, aquamist meth kit and the TVS supercharger. then I'll need much better brakes and coilovers. But then I'll need a better clutch, wait then a better LSD to control the power. Darn it, then I'll need better axles. Shoot, then I'll need bigger wheels and tires...... It never ends. Guess I should probably be happy with where I am because it's pretty awesome right now!

Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbean
I have a 200 HP JCW that has no modifications aside from an ATI super damper. I was thinking about doing some more mods for a little bump in power. I'm not sure if the 210 HP upgrade is worth the money so maybe a cam?
Or, is a cam not worth doing until I open up the intake and install larger injectors ? (read upgrade to the 210hp JCW).
A cam with proper tune is one of the most cost effective mods IMO...(besides a pulley of course). Ideally you should do injectors and header to go along with it.

I have the RMW "Dominator" cam, 450cc injectors, and the shorty header....I'm at 231whp/195trq. Stock JCW pulley, stock head, stock JCW intake and cat back. So yes...it was very worth it!

Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Oh, and IMO the Header/JCW exhaust combo is one of the best working & sounding combo's.
Agreed. In completely stock form it kind of sucks, but with a header its perfect.

I've heard countless variations of R53 header/exhaust combo's and the cam/header/JCW cat back sounds absolutely glorious. Quiet unless you're on it, and zero drone. I have received many compliments on how my car sounds...from complete strangers too.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 PM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
Swimbaxter...thanks again for all the info.

ThumperMCS...thanks that helps I can live with those numbers until a full motor rebuild is necessary.
:-)