JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW just installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Way
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the subject says I just spent a load of money and got my early 04 MCS fitted with JCW from Irvine MINI. 1250 miles break in period is a killer. Because my car has a late December 03 production date, it has the older style exhaust hangers and the dealer gave me a deal on the JCW kit. They said that these kits are harder to get now and that they may not be ordering any more. Don't know if that was BS or not but I got the kit + installation for $5766 OTD. That's pretty good for Los Angeles - Long Beach and Assael wanted $6350 and up so I don't feel too bad. Still, it's wasn't cheap.

I'm not a dyno-testing kind of guy, I just drive for fun so my impressions may not be so professional as some would like. Some of the following are common knowledge, but here they are, FWIW:

1. If you like a deep, rich exhaust sound then the JCW is not for you. It has a mellow, smooth refined tone and I like it. In fact, I thought it was less intrusive in the cabin than stock. I really thought my stock MCS sounded a bit loud/rough. My wife and I are both violinists so I guess we are sensitive to sound and we both agree that it is quieter now.
2. Car seems to run smoother, less rough, more of a purr. Power delivery is very smooth. Now the car starts nicely off from 0 with no hesititaion. I did notice that the MINI's clutch engages pretty low compared to my other cars so I still need to get used to that. Oddly enough the car seems to run smoother than it did at very slow speeds (1-5 mph). Maybe it's due to the newer software added when the kit was installed. Unfortunately I forgot to find out which version it was.
3. Stomped on the accelerator a few times just to see - car is now very eager to move forward but 4500 rpm is not very much to get exited about. I'm sure after the break-in period thsi will be an even greater car to drive!

I think the only other mods I'd like to add are the rear sway bar, Mintex brake pads to reduce brake dust, replace the run-flats, and those cool JCW wheel caps for my v-spokes! Oh yeah - upgrade that nut behind the wheel too.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should not need *another* break in period after the JCW upgrade. Assuming your car was already through the first break in period ...

Take it easy for a day or two in case anything was not quite tightened down correctly, then enjoy

Old 04-09-2004, 07:32 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
My dealer recommended "another" break-in which I agreed to follow. Lots of debate on the forums about it.

Just wait until you have a few (thousand) miles on it and then it will really rock!!

Old 04-09-2004, 07:36 AM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
As for the exhaust, the sound will change dramatically over the next 500 to 800 miles. When mine was first installed I was surprised that I didn't get the same sound as I heard during the test drive, but then as everything settled in and got some miles on it, the sound changed. It is still not a loud exhaust at all, which I also prefer, but it has a little rumble to it when you back of the throttle which is a nice little reminder of what you have. Definitely not intrusive or annoying at any speed or for long drives.

Tim

'04 MCS, CR/W/W, HK, Sport#2, MFSW, JCW

Old 04-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Way
2nd Gear
@iancull,
The JCW certificate says to keep the rpms below 4500 for the first 1250 miles so I'm going to take it easy until then. Great job on your JCW page! I also like your placement of the badge under the Cooper S rear badge. They put mine on the left side of the rear hatch.

@TimMINITim,
That's cool about the sound changing over time! I'll be listening for that.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:22 AM
buz
3rd Gear
The JCW kit does add another dimension to motoring. The exhaust tone has been getting the thumbs up from the Harley RUBI (rich urban biker) crowd and they marvel at the MINI handling. MINIs have even claimed their weekend road:

Old 04-09-2004, 09:00 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
>>I also like your placement of the badge under the Cooper S rear badge. They put mine on the left side of the rear hatch.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:33 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put mine under the Cooper S badge also so it looks like the red line of the Works badge flows into the red S.
How about above the Cooper S badge in back? I think it might look better there....JCW Cooper S.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:13 AM
EmCeeEss
1st Gear
i wouldn't waste your money getting that rear swaybar. I have it and can honestly say i wish i would have saved my money. If you don't autocross, its really not a per-dollar worthwhile mod. I know i will get a lot of heat from the die-hard auto-x'ers about this statement, but as a regular guy daily driver i could have spent that 200 bucks plus installation on something better IMO. good luck with that JCW!

Old 04-10-2004, 10:48 AM
kazlot
4th Gear
Did you, or can you, post a picture of the JCWorks Badge on the rear of your car?
I did not have mine put on because I wasn't to thrilled about the left side of the boot placement. I have considered under the CooperS or in the mesh grill below the bumper. Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 04-10-2004, 04:50 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
>>Did you, or can you, post a picture of the JCWorks Badge on the rear of your car?
>>I did not have mine put on because I wasn't to thrilled about the left side of the boot placement. I have considered under the CooperS or in the mesh grill below the bumper. Any thoughts? Thanks

PM me with your email address and I will send you some pics of my car if you want.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:29 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
I took mine autocrossing with oh about 50 miles on it.....didn't blow it up......yet.....guess I'll try again next Sunday.......