North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   JCW Garage (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage-230/)
-   -   Badges?! We Don't Need No Stink'n Badges (JCW) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/jcw-garage/233870-badges-we-dont-need-no-stinkn-badges-jcw.html)

BJDavis 07-17-2012 03:13 PM

Badges?! We Don't Need No Stink'n Badges (JCW)

QUESTIONS: When does a pre-2005 Gen. 1 MINI earn or loose the right to display a JCW badge? Earn or lose the right to be called a "Factory JCW"?

The JCW page on Wiki says "At the time, the kit could not be factory-ordered, but had to be retrofitted at a MINI dealer, but from late 2005 the Cooper S could be ordered with the upgrade straight from factory."

If a New pre-2005 MINI was retrofitted with a JCW "Kit" by a dealer - Is it a "Factory" MINI? Or should it be called something else . . like dropping the term "Factory".

I see many Dealer and Factory "stickered" JCW MINIs that have been stripped of most (if not all) of the JCW bolt-on parts (CAI, Intercooler, suspension, brakes, etc. ) At what point (if any) would a JCW MINI lose its designation?

On the other hand, there are non-JCW MINIs (no valve cover sticker or badge) that have more JCW components than remain on the Factory JCWs that have been modded.

What say YOU?

Professor 07-17-2012 05:27 PM

If it has the kit on it, nothing wrong with having a badge.

carlitosway 09-21-2012 11:31 PM

My car is a 2003 MCS with the JCW kit and the badgeS. I don't see the big deal nor the dealer when I updated my software to the latest revision.
I care more about having the extra horse power than what people said.

ACallahan 09-22-2012 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by carlitosway (Post 3594506)
My car is a 2003 MCS with the JCW kit and the badgeS. I don't see the big deal nor the dealer when I updated my software to the latest revision.
I care more about having the extra horse power than what people said.

So you updated to the JCW 210 software I presume. Wondering if the Mini dealership gave you ant trouble about reflashing your ECU ? or was it as long as you had a badged JCW then no problem with the flash?

cmt52663 09-22-2012 01:50 PM

I had the JCW trunk kit installed at 666 miles, and asked that the badges stay in the box. I figgured stealth y'know?

But a while back when I was tired of being beaten by worthy foes in STX I got desperate.

I pulled the dusty box out, and polished the badges, and put them on.

It was worth a few tenths on a 60 second course.

Anyway that's my story...

Cheers,

Charlie

GreyLens 09-23-2012 04:55 AM

No Stinking Badges...Stealth Baby

I agree. I have a 2009 JCW and took all external badges off...only indicator is JCW Door Sills (thinking of replacing with Craven blacks) and the JCW CF insert on lower arm of steering wheel which I added, and the little, cheeky checkered flag on the right side dashboard. I keep all OEM parts I change out because I intend to drive the Lenz until I die (hopefully about another 30+ years from now (:lol:)) and pass it on to one of the kids with all the OEM parts.

I can't believe I just said that...obviously I need to get a life. :popcorn:

MarcJCWRKS 09-23-2012 11:09 AM

I paid a lot extra for my JCW Cabrio over the standard S and want everyone to know it. Badges on and proud! I spend most my time explaining to people what it means.

astroBlackMetallic_Mini 10-01-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by cmt52663 (Post 3594707)
But a while back when I was tired of being beaten by worthy foes in STX I got desperate.

I pulled the dusty box out, and polished the badges, and put them on.

It was worth a few tenths on a 60 second course.

well thats why you got beat! the badge is what gives you those extra 30 HP! :nod:

05r50 10-01-2012 06:56 PM

Not to get hung up on what's in the box but since you asked, if it was installed at the factory then it is factory. Otherwise it is an add-on regardless who did the work.

I'm not trying to say that the employee at the factory is a better mechanic/car guy than they one at the dealer or the DIY who does it themselves.

Gizmo 10-06-2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 05r50 (Post 3600010)
Not to get hung up on what's in the box but since you asked, if it was installed at the factory then it is factory. Otherwise it is an add-on regardless who did the work.

I'm not trying to say that the employee at the factory is a better mechanic/car guy than they one at the dealer or the DIY who does it themselves.

Exactly, factory doesn't mean better or worse (in most cases) it's just a technical term.

However, if I am not mistaken with 2nd gens, a factory JCW IS different than an S with a JCW kit. I.e. does not include the upgraded clutch etc.

carlitosway 10-06-2012 11:55 AM

Hi 05R50,

THE JCW Kits were OEM designed and sold from a bmw dealer. They were the same parts as the factory and not fake parts with a badge number bought in a swapmeet.
to me the most important was the horse power gain from the kit with the head, supercharger,..etc.
Any competent mechanic can do the upgrades with not problems. Check the videos in you tube.

Cheers,