JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

New JCW owner question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
HerpDerpington
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New JCW owner question

Hello! I bought my first Mini ever last Saturday. It's a blue (still learning the color names) 2003 JCW. I have a question that I've searched for an answer on, but found nothing:

In 2003, was the JCW kit available in separate components? I'm trying to figure out what my car has on it. I took it to a reputable shop and had a long talk with a Mini-owner/enthusiast, who told me I didn't have an upgraded head, incorrect red injectors, or upgraded suspension, and that many of my parts were 2002 spec.

My VIN#: WMWRE33423TD66621
My JCW plaque# S139

I couldn't find squat using the VIN. I guess the JCW in 2003 has a standard MCS VIN. I couldn't find anything using the JCW#.

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 PM
ocbaud
2nd Gear
The VIN won't be any different jcw vs none-jcw

if you have the jcw plate, you most likely have the full kit that was offered that year(same as me. i'm S639 or something like that)
that includes:
head
supercharger
exhaust
tune

the PINK injectors came later in 2005 with the jcw 210 kit.

the jcw suspension was never part of the jcw kit at any time, it was always an extra add on.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
I didnt know jcw infectors came in pink

Originally Posted by ocbaud
The VIN won't be any different jcw vs none-jcw

if you have the jcw plate, you most likely have the full kit that was offered that year(same as me. i'm S639 or something like that)
that includes:
head
supercharger
exhaust
tune

the PINK injectors came later in 2005 with the jcw 210 kit.

the jcw suspension was never part of the jcw kit at any time, it was always an extra add on.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 PM
ocbaud
2nd Gear
I swear i've read that they are pink before.
I'm color blind and they look more blue to me than anything.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:29 PM
HerpDerpington
1st Gear
I was under the same impression from my research, that the JCW kit was an all or nothing upgrade. The tech who looked at it (we looked under the hood for no more than a minute) asked me straight out if I knew whether or not it had the JCW head as well as the blower. I was shocked, to be honest. He looked for a number on the head but didn't find it right away. My injectors were the wrong color for the JCW kit. I didn't think there were any differences with injectors on the 200hp kit. He also mentioned that there's really no teflon coating at all on the JCW blower. Maybe a light dusting, but in no way reliably coated. I arrived at the shop geeked to arrange a pulley install, left deflated that I don't have much of anything on my new ride.

I wish there was a repository somewhere, with some kind of information on the JCW number plates. I want to call JCW and ask them what was installed on kit S139, but I know they won't know.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
ocbaud
2nd Gear
yes the 200hp kit comes with the stock cooper s tan injectors. they were not upgraded until the 210hp kit.
the coating on the rotors of the supercharger is the same coating used on the 2005-2006 superchargers.

call your local mini/bmw dealership. they can run your vin and tell you exactly what kit you have if it was installed when ordered.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 AM
kazlot
4th Gear
New JCW owner question

Originally Posted by HerpDerpington
Hello! I bought my first Mini ever last Saturday. It's a blue (still learning the color names) 2003 JCW. I have a question that I've searched for an answer on, but found nothing:

In 2003, was the JCW kit available in separate components? I'm trying to figure out what my car has on it. I took it to a reputable shop and had a long talk with a Mini-owner/enthusiast, who told me I didn't have an upgraded head, incorrect red injectors, or upgraded suspension, and that many of my parts were 2002 spec.

My VIN#: WMWRE33423TD66621
My JCW plaque# S139

I couldn't find squat using the VIN. I guess the JCW in 2003 has a standard MCS VIN. I couldn't find anything using the JCW#.

Thanks!
Not having seen your car I'm assuming but if you have a tuning kit number on the valve cover
you have a JCW Tuning Kit and the Mini-owner/enthusiast was incorrect.

The JCW Tuning Kit was a dealer installed option for your car in 2003.
The cost was 6300.00 not counting installation.
The first generation Tuning Kit was never sold as separate components.

The 210 hp upgrade was sold as an upgrade to existing Tuning Kits or as a stand alone modification for all R-53 cars.
It was an air-box with the JCW logo, 380 injectors (blue), and an ECU remap.

The 200 hp JCW Tuning Kit had a mildly ported head, a Teflon coated supercharger with an 11.45 % reduction pulley,
ECU programing, cat back exhaust system, grille and boot badges and a numbered and signed Certificate of Authenticity.

The Sport Brake Kit and JCW Suspension were sold as an accessory and may or may not have been a dealer installed item.

The only exception to that was that the brakes were a requirement on the factory installed, after late 2005, 210 hp Tuning Kits.
The LSD differential was also included in the factory installed JCW Tuning Kits.

Go here for helpful links:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-true-jcw.html
Posts 6 thru 12
Or here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-upgrades.html
Or here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...its-a-jcw.html

Hope this helps...

Last edited by kazlot; 01-21-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: More information
Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 AM
HerpDerpington
1st Gear
This is just the sort of confirmation I was hoping to get! Thanks you guys!