JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Some JCW Cooper S 2004 guidance needed

Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 AM
innAlexia
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some JCW Cooper S 2004 guidance needed

Hi there - I'm hoping someone can help me. Unfortunately I am forced to put my mini up for sale, and because it is so specialized, I have no idea what to price it at. Here is a short list of what it has - if anyone has any input it would be GREATLY appreciated!
JCW Cooper S in Indie Blue, chrome accents inside, checkered roof and checkered mirror caps
Less than 35,000 miles on it, garage kept
Alta short shifter
Alta cold air intake
Upgraded pulley (I think it's also Alta)
Black wheels and all season tires with no wear
All the packages - cold weather package, nav, harmon kardin etc.

Thanks very much for the help! Any suggestions or direction would be a huge help.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not specialized. modifications do not add value to a car in any way shape or form when it comes down to it...in some cases it even detracts to the value. If you can convince a prospective buyer that you spent X on this part or that part more power to you..but as a whole this doesn't work...might work with young kids who make impulsive purchases anyhow.

Go to Kelly blue book or edmunds and enter the spec for your car. If you think you can get someone to compensate you for the alta pulley and the rims add in an appropriate additional amount. 100% of what you payed for the modifications is not an appropriate amount...they are now used and should only yield you about 50% of what they retail for if you were to remove them...might be a better path forward anyhow.

Some times modifications scare off people because go fast goodies mean you went fast... I purposely bought a completely stock car for this reason.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
my advise, take or leave or course is as follows:

1. rip off as many of the aftermarket mods as you can. Sell those here (or wherever) for some of your $$$ back. as Kahnfucious says: they arent worth anything ON the car.

2. put the car back to stock as possible, then clean it as much as possible.

3. I personally paid just over 18k for my ride, it was a stock JCW, '06, with about that many miles, HK sound, leather ect (no nav, or other packages however). Personally, id list yours for at least that to start. Its always easier to come Down in price than go up!

4. I would leave the pulley, and not even make it a selling point (just dont mention it) unless someone WANTS the pulley, or knows what they even are! Otherwise, you could scare people off if they dont understand these cars just yet.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM
innAlexia
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks very much for all the input!