JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW - Best way to increase BHP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 05:42 PM
blackdogmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>I've been reading posts about exhausts and headers at Webbmotorsports.com and I would encourage you to go to the garage part of that site for access into Randy's forums. Look for Exhausting exhausts pages 2 & 3 in the Product Eval section.
>>
>>In a nutshell here are the findings-
>>If you have a restrictive exhaust like a stock exhaust, Borla street, or quicksilver then don't bother with any header (adds only a few HP).
>>If you have a free flowing aftermarket exhaust like the UUC, magnaflow, alta, NRP,Borla sport/race, milltek then the best header for power gains is the Milltek/London stainless header about 7+HP realistically.

I haven't seen these "findings", but who has credibly established that the Borla street or quicksilver exhaust is restrictive? Which impartial scientific analysis of pressure differentials have established that the UUC, Magnaflow, or Alta are "free flowing"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there has been no credible evidence that any headers make power, with or without a cat-back.

I appreciate your posts, and I don't want to sound negative, I just want to separate the real information from the vendor hype.