North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior-33/)
-   -   Interior/Exterior Light that boot! (LED trunk light MOD) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/85097-light-that-boot-led-trunk-light-mod.html)

Bradley99 12-06-2006 09:45 AM

Digi-key also sells Switchcraft versions of these. They seem to have contacts rated at 5A.

ImagoX 12-06-2006 09:50 AM

that little spring-loaded cap would make the install VERY pro-looking. I can see that up front in the cabin for things like radar detectiors and the like...

Yo'sDad 12-06-2006 09:58 AM

ImagoX, I'll PM you re getting you a set.

YD

Turcicus 12-06-2006 11:32 AM

Thanks for the walkthrough YD. Another question now - if I want to keep the stock light assembly in, using the resistor, how do I connect the wires from the LEDs? Strip a little section of insulation from the stock wires and connect the LEDs to the bare spots?

Turcicus 12-06-2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ImagoX (Post 1256381)
Let me take a stab at it in a day or two... Honestly, since I was figuring these things out as i was going along, I neglected to shoot "in progress" pics. It's really simple though - the install basically takes advantage of the existing OEM white foot well light wiring - you're simply shooting for hooking the LED strips' positive and ground wires to the white lights' wires - since the strips draw so little power (less than the white OEM bulb you're replacing) you don't need to worry about additional fuses or anything else fancy.

Look under the dashboard and you'll see the OEM white foot well light - it pops out with a small flat screwdriver. You'll snip the wires leading to that light (turn off the cabin lights first, or, even better, discomnnect the negative battery terminal in the book to avoid a short) and use them with the LED strips. The nice thing about this sort of install is that the OEM ligjht is still there, just disconnected, so if you want to reverse it, all you have to do is remove the LED strips and re-connect the white lamps - literally a 5 minute reversal. :)

There's a bar under the dash that's perfect for zip-tying the LEDs to. I think it will be pretty clear when you look - it was for me anyway - but I'll give proper documentation a stab. :)

Good stuff ImagoX. But I'm confoosed - you say to snip the wires leading to the light, but that it's still there, just disconnected. So are you literally cutting the wires?

ImagoX 12-06-2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Turcicus (Post 1257649)
Thanks for the walkthrough YD. Another question now - if I want to keep the stock light assembly in, using the resistor, how do I connect the wires from the LEDs? Strip a little section of insulation from the stock wires and connect the LEDs to the bare spots?

That or buy a tap from some place like Radio Shack.

And YES, in MY install, I literally snipped the wires, since I did not want the white light to light up along with the LEDs.

Turcicus 12-06-2006 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ImagoX (Post 1257660)
That or buy a tap from some place like Radio Shack.

And YES, in MY install, I literally snipped the wires, since I did not want the white light to light up along with the LEDs.

OK, now I think I understand what you said. "the OEM light is still there, just disconnected..." -> this is what was confusing me. You leave the light and lens in the hole (so there isn't a big gaping square hole), it's just had its wires cut and connected to the LEDs. Now I get it :nod:. How would you recommend the stock light be reconnected if you wanted to do that? Soldering?

Thanks for bearing with me, by the way :).

ImagoX 12-06-2006 12:00 PM

Soldering or the old "twist the wires and wrap 'em in electrical tape" - either/or. It's doubtful that anyone will ever need to look in there if you resell the car, after all. :)

Yo'sDad 12-06-2006 12:07 PM

Turcicus, what I did to connect the wires to the car's el system was to just pull the stock connectors off of the stock fixture, then stick one LED wire through the hole in the male connector and twist it and snip off any xs. Same for the other connector, then push the stock connectors back on.... no wire cutting. This makes it extra easy to go back to stock.... just remove the wired, take out the resistor and put the bulb back in.

YD

ImagoX 12-06-2006 12:09 PM

That's actually a GREAT install idea if you plan to put the resistor inside the light housing... I plan to do that as soon as I get my power plug, actually. Yo's Dad had a real;y wonderful install idea with that - kudos!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Turcicus 12-06-2006 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yo'sDad (Post 1257717)
Turcicus, what I did to connect the wires to the car's el system was to just pull the stock connectors off of the stock fixture, then stick one LED wire through the hole in the male connector and twist it and snip off any xs. Same for the other connector, then push the stock connectors back on.... no wire cutting. This makes it extra easy to go back to stock.... just remove the wired, take out the resistor and put the bulb back in.

YD

Ah HA! That's what you have pictured in your earlier post! I couldn't figure what you had done there.

Turcicus 12-06-2006 12:30 PM

YD, would it be possible to use the cord from a pair of headphones for the quick connect? I've got an old pair laying around with a 90 degree bend connector that I could cannibalize. If so, how do you know which wires in the cord go to the correct wires from the LED?

ImagoX 12-06-2006 12:45 PM

Just hook them up and try them out - if you have the polarity reversed then they just won't light. A few seconds of reversed current won't hurt the strips - I accidentally hooked them up the wrong way once to my test power supply (a modified PC power supply) and it had no ill effect. That or test them with a volt meter if you have one.

Yo'sDad 12-06-2006 01:45 PM

Orrrrrr, go to AZ or Advanced A and pick up a cheapie 12V test light. Really cheap, works well, saves time and sort of fun to use.... if you're sick like me.

YD

rkw 12-06-2006 07:45 PM

Here are more photos of the 3 LED strip installation on my cabrio. The connection is a headphone cable/plug.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1660/shelf.jpg

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...60/lighted.jpg

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0/BootLEDs.jpg

Love this mod. ImagoX, you should ask Oznium whether they are seeing a jump in sales on the LED strip. You should get a commission!

ImagoX 12-06-2006 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by rkw (Post 1258487)

Love this mod. ImagoX, you should ask Oznium whether they are seeing a jump in sales on the LED strip. You should get a commission!

Glad you like it... wait till I figure out a way to add a strip to the cabrio roll bar as a dome light. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

IrishCooper 12-08-2006 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Yo'sDad (Post 1257337)
ImagoX, my son,

I didn't get it at RS. I found them at a mom and pop electonics supply house in Knoxville, TN.

They were off the rack, so to speak.

The brand is:

Philmore
LKG Industries
Rockford, IL

6ft DC Power Cord
2.5mm x 5.5mm DC plug No. TC250

DC Power Jack
2.5mm x 5.5mm No. 248

If you can't find them, let me know and I'll drive by and pick a set up and mail them to you.

If you call them, I'm sure they will send you a set also.

The store is:

Shields Electronics
865-588-2421

This is a very common item (except at RS) and should be easy to find. It was the 90° issue that made it more difficult for me. The straight ones were all over the place. But you know I had to have exactly what was perculating in my little beanie.

BTW, since you know the Oxnium people, mayhaps you might suggest that they carry a line of plugs and jacks??????

YD

I just called and order some from Shield Electronics, they are very nice to do business with. I had to order 3 of each to make the $15 minimum shipping order but no big deal. I found some similar stuff at RS but your right no right angle jacks.

Yo'sDad 12-08-2006 07:29 PM

That's funny, I went to Shield's this afternoon to pick up a set for someone. They thought it was funny that they sold three sets to someone in Texas today... it had to be you...

YD

GoodFinder 12-08-2006 07:50 PM

Thanks for this approach. I especially like the ability to easily go "back to stock" if so desired at any point down the road.

Originally Posted by Yo'sDad (Post 1257717)
Turcicus, what I did to connect the wires to the car's el system was to just pull the stock connectors off of the stock fixture, then stick one LED wire through the hole in the male connector and twist it and snip off any xs. Same for the other connector, then push the stock connectors back on.... no wire cutting. This makes it extra easy to go back to stock.... just remove the wired, take out the resistor and put the bulb back in. YD

IrishCooper 12-09-2006 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Yo'sDad (Post 1261805)
That's funny, I went to Shield's this afternoon to pick up a set for someone. They thought it was funny that they sold three sets to someone in Texas today... it had to be you...

YD

Yup that was me! I went to radio shack and they didn't really know what i was looking for, i found a DC plug and receptacle but it just didn't look as OEM as yours.

PredMini 12-09-2006 08:34 AM

Anybody know if the support tube on the shelf is hollow? It would be nice to tuck the wiring in there out of the way.

I made a plug in cord last night . I should be able to just unplug the factory light and plug the new cord in. It's got the resistor connected and everything shrink wrapped up to a headphone extension cord. I think I'm going to slip it out of the rubber boot around the seat latch. If I don't like how it looks I can always rewire it later. I'm considering adding one of the lighted switches from oznium to give me the ability to turn on the stock light if I had the shelf removed.

Yo'sDad 12-09-2006 08:46 AM

On the HT the support beam is hollow. I tried the same thing but when the fabric covering started grabbing the drill bit (like drilling through carpet) and was going to pull and make a mess, I abandoned the idea. If you can cut a small hole in the fabric to do your drilling, it will work. The beam is metal but thin.

YD

whovous 12-09-2006 01:30 PM

Is there a real advantage to putting the strips under the boot cover? Mine comes out fairly often, and I know one day or another I'd forget to unplug it and wind up damaging my work. I've not looked, but the bottom rear of the boot appeals to me; its out of the way, and the light should shine up just as well as down.

For me, the real issue is just getting up the nerve to try it. I love how it looks.

rkw 12-09-2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by whovous (Post 1262514)
Is there a real advantage to putting the strips under the boot cover? Mine comes out fairly often, and I know one day or another I'd forget to unplug it and wind up damaging my work. I've not looked, but the bottom rear of the boot appeals to me; its out of the way, and the light should shine up just as well as down.

Under the boot cover is a good position to light up the space, and the light is less likely to be blocked as you load things in the boot. However, any position you mount the lights will be a benefit. Obviously if you put the lights under the shelf you won't gain their benefit while the shelf is out, so the bottom position may work better for you.

whovous 12-11-2006 04:57 AM

I think I need to go outside, pop the boot, and just stare at my car for a while. Neighbors love when I do things like that!