North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior-33/)
-   -   Interior/Exterior Headlights - 10k Xenon's/HID? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/82932-headlights-10k-xenons-hid.html)

polizei 10-28-2006 09:06 AM

Headlights - 10k Xenon's/HID?

Hello. I'm posting here to hopefully get some more views, and more answers. You can see the thread in the electric section here.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=79966

I'm going to replace my bulbs, because my driver side has gone out, then back on, then out again, etc. and they are 4 years old. I want to replace them in 10,000 Xenon bulbs, and my question is, have anyone ran these high of bulbs before? I love the look, but I'm afraid that will be too much for the MINI, since I know the stock is 4300.

http://www.hid-sin.com/10000k.htm

Will the stock ballast be able to handle it? If not, what if I bought the HID kit from that website. That comes will two bulbs, a ballast, and the other things you need. Would that work better? And what is the difference between HID and Xenon?

And the bulbs I need are D2R correct? I have Xenon headlights.

Thanks!
-Cody

skillet 10-28-2006 09:11 AM

Uh oh... mine just went out yesterday, but came back on. I thought I was safe, but apparently not....:impatient

Off the top of my head, I thought something as high as 10k wasn't going to be very useful at night... could be wrong, but I thought you wanted to stay somewhere around stock kelvin to get the best light at night (not aesthetics, but function...)

2perCooper 10-28-2006 09:25 AM

10k is almost like "black" output. its actually less light output so it wont light the road up as much as the stock 4300k would. i think 4300k or 6000k is the brightest output for any xenon temperature bulb. sure it looks good going down the road, but it serves no purpose if you can't see anything in front of you.

chows4us 10-28-2006 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by polizei (Post 1199510)

If you want your headlights to be dark purple ... go for it

If you want to see ... forget about it. Even that website says you get less light. The higher the Kelvin number the less you see

Wake|MCS 10-28-2006 09:57 AM

10,000k is wack imo... i'd go with the philips ultinon (6000k)... thats the perfect color imo.. check 'em out...

polizei 10-28-2006 10:05 AM

Ahhh I didn't know that, thanks guys.

Next question: Should I switch out the bulbs and see if that works? I really can't afford bulbs...but if I have to replace them I have to. Is there anyway I can check my connections or anything, to make sure it's the bulb and not wires or anything?

And if it IS the bulbs, and I stay ~4300-6000, which bulbs would you buy? I can hardly see if front of me now, so I deffinitly want more light, not less.

02mcs, where did you buy those Philips?

-Cody

chows4us 10-28-2006 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by polizei (Post 1199579)
And if it IS the bulbs, and I stay ~4300-6000, which bulbs would you buy? I can hardly see if front of me now, so I deffinitly want more light, not less.

From your website. 6000 is 400 less lumens than 4300. If you want MORE light ... stick with 4300. If you want to look purple and see less, well they sell 12000K:eek2:

Just the other night I saw a car (not a MINI but some Japanese hatch) with really purple lights and fogs on. I have no idea how he saw anything since he threw out very little light. Stick to the 4300s

If you want to add more light but don't want driving lights, get a set of aftermarket Fogs (like the Hella FF200s). Aim them a little bit higher than usual and you will throw a LOT of light way down low in front of you:)

kapps 10-28-2006 12:39 PM

I wouldn't go more than 6k on HID's. I know a guy that had 8k's (very purple) in his 350Z and they were completely useless in throwing light on the road. They only blinded everyone else. He got rid of them pretty quick. With 10k, it would almost be better to drive around without lights.

One other concern is that the stock reflector might not be able to withstand that much heat. I'd really recommend sticking to 6k. The light is blue with a slight hint of purple and it seems to be the best compromise between looks and functionality.

jerjer 10-28-2006 01:41 PM

i have 8000K on mine, looks awsome, ain't that bad at night too. i think they are fine, but certainly not as bright as stock, thats the only downside for them.

chows4us 10-28-2006 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jerjer (Post 1199794)
i have 8000K on mine, looks awsome, ain't that bad at night too. i think they are fine, but certainly not as bright as stock, thats the only downside for them.

If they are not as bright as OEM, what good are they?

Why would anyone want LESS light than stock? Most ppl want MORE

Very curious:confused:

Bilbo-Baggins 10-28-2006 03:02 PM

poliezi,

There is a tremendous amount of information contained on this web site about automotive lighting: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Check it out. He covers all information about light and quality of light. Also correct aiming of lights.

Chows4us says; "If you want to add more light but don't want driving lights, get a set of aftermarket Fogs (like the Hella FF200s). Aim them a little bit higher than usual and you will throw a LOT of light way down low in front of you:)"

This is a very poor suggestion and will only succeed in blinding oncoming traffic and render the "fog" lights usless in the fog. You will find confirmation on Daniel Stern's web site.

Stick with the stock bulbs for maximum visibility.

Wake|MCS 10-28-2006 03:29 PM

What is it not possible for someone to want something based on form over function? Keep Daniel Stern out of this.. and NO, pointing fog lights a little higher than normal is NOT a poor suggestion. On the MINI their located so damn low that it doesn't matter. If pointed up a little higher than stock, it'll aim at the same spot as the Low-Beams and help the light output in that general area...

Daniel Stern's website is filled with information WITHOUT ANY evidence, observations, tests to back up anything he says... And somehow everything he says about lighting is taking as the holy... funny how you accept what you want without evidence, and refute others with evidence, just because...

iguigu 10-28-2006 05:17 PM

I got 8000k on my 03 Z8 and they are not as bright as OEM, I am planing to switch them to 6000k soon.
So if you like little more blue/purple color go with 6000k. But stick with OEM if yo want it bright...
http://www.bimmian.com/MN

Wake|MCS 10-28-2006 05:45 PM

some cars come with philips ultinon from the factory i believe.. which is a true 5800k color temperature. i think high-end mercedes, bmw, audi come with those (s-class, 7-series, A8, etc.).. their worth looking at, but their like $150-200 for a set..

polizei 10-28-2006 07:31 PM

Thanks for all of the information everyone! Really helpful. My driver side headlight has seem to have gone out three times in the past two days, and I've noted that other people seem to have this problem as well.....? Is the solution to switch out the bulbs for new ones?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Philips 6000k (they say they retain the same output as OEM ~4300 light) but they are $200/pair...which is insane, and I cannot afford that lol.

And about the lighting situation....I wonder if my lights are aimed lower? Is there a way to manual adjust the angle? I know they are auto-leveling, but they seem to be pointed a little low. Right now (as of ~10min ago) on a dark road, you can clearly see the line, and I would gestimate that the light output reaches ~50-60feet in front of my MINI. Is that normal?

And is changing out the bulbs the solution?

Thanks!
-Cody :thumbsup:

chows4us 10-28-2006 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins (Post 1199897)
Chows4us says; "If you want to add more light but don't want driving lights, get a set of aftermarket Fogs (like the Hella FF200s). Aim them a little bit higher than usual and you will throw a LOT of light way down low in front of you:)"

This is a very poor suggestion and will only succeed in blinding oncoming traffic and render the "fog" lights usless in the fog. You will find confirmation on Daniel Stern's web site.

Actually, no. The fogs have a very fast cutoff. WAY below the low beams. I'm not talking about aiming them at the sky.

Go take a look at the beam patterns on Hellausa on any other place as to where the greatest light is thrown. Here is ONE example for a FF200 Fog

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/hel...Fog_Lux_sm.jpg

A tremendous amount of light is thrown immediately in front of the car. By 30 feet virtually nothing. Aiming them up another 10 yards will throw far more light out sideways and still cuttoff before your lows.

Will they be effective in fog as intended. No. But then again you already have fogs on the MINI that DO throw good light down low.

I suggest you go look at the other fog light patterns for other lamps. All are different.

Originally Posted by 02///MCS (Post 1199932)
Daniel Stern's website is filled with information WITHOUT ANY evidence, observations, tests to back up anything he says... And somehow everything he says about lighting is taking as the holy... funny how you accept what you want without evidence, and refute others with evidence, just because...

Dude. Give it up. You might not like it by Daniel Stern is the accept de facto expert in the field. Just go look at lighting forums or even website selling lights and they refer to Daniel Stern.

You might not like that but its not going to change the fact he is the accepted expert

As to form over function. If you want bling, its your money, go for it. But when you buy those 10K lights and wonder why the cops pulled you over and why you can't see squat, then just dont say you weren't warned.

Oh, yeah ... you talk lights, you talk Daniel Stern.:wink:

BTW, I mean no disrespect by this in any way ... as I said, you want bling, its your money. But don't dish Daniel Stern unless you have some other authoritative resources to refute him (and everyone else on the NET who refers to him)

chows4us 10-28-2006 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by polizei (Post 1200276)
Right now I'm leaning towards the Philips 6000k (they say they retain the same output as OEM ~4300 light) but they are $200/pair...which is insane, and I cannot afford that lol.

Xenons aren't cheap. They aren't cheap when you buy the car nor to be replaced. If you want cheap, go Halogen, you can get $5 bulbs depending on the type:wink:

Yeah, it sucks but they are so much better than halogens

Next time your at the dealer, have the dealer aim your lights. My OEM fogs were way off. Once alighned, albeit anemic they do a good job right in front of the car.

Wake|MCS 10-28-2006 09:15 PM

None taken.. I personally dislike the 10,000k Xenons as I said in my very first reply to this thread. I personally think the Philips Ultinon (5800K) is the BEST compromise between form and function as they look good and retain a good enough light output to be STANDARD on several cars...

Sure, Daniel Stern is like God for lights to many people. But personally, without anything of substance backing up all his claims and information, I'll render what he has to say as pure speculation. Which I have many of my own...

Wake|MCS 10-28-2006 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by polizei (Post 1200276)

I remember seeing them somewhere for $150 or $180 a pair, so keep looking... Their not too much more than the standard 4300K's. Unless of course you buy the 4300K's on eBay as I plan on doing, they go for $50/pair with a D2R socket..

skillet 10-29-2006 05:37 AM

Are the ebay lights good? The dealer replaced one of mine when I bought the car, and when I checked around, it was going to be $180-190 for one factory replacement!!! I can't see spending almost $200 bucks on a bulb...

polizei 10-29-2006 06:23 AM

I personally try and stay away from ebay....I just don't like it. And I wouldn't be surprised that the dealer would charge that...:roll: And I don't think you would want the PIAA's at $480/pair!

-Cody

Wake|MCS 10-29-2006 09:27 AM

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND USING THE PHILIPS ULTINON BULBS.. THEY ARE D2S ONLY, WHICH IS FOR PROJECTORS...

Their not eBay brand bulbs... their Philips 4300K OEM bulbs, the ones used on our very own MINI Cooper (S) with Factory Xenon Lighting... The information for the bulb is:

Philips Germany
D2R 35W 85126 (That's the part number)
03U DOT K222

Here's a link to an eBay auction for a pair of brand new Philips bulbs... $53 shipped..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-430...45029163QQrdZ1