Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Thinking about removing hood scoop and replacing hood opening with mesh only.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 PM
phungshum
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about removing hood scoop and replacing hood opening with mesh only.

Anyone tried this? Bigger hole for air to get in right? Air would be hitting the intercooler as well as letting air to cool off the manifolds too right?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 AM
phungshum
Banned
Something to this caliber:

borrowed from kalbone

Last edited by phungshum; 12-09-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: giving credit to kalbone
Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I am not so sure this is a great idea, for starters when it rains you will have to much water coming in and may get in contact with the wires. Also it is not just about the Volume of air but were that air is flowed to. I dont think you will see any benefit leaving it open.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 AM
phungshum
Banned
I was thinking in terms of cooling off the body of the intercooler too. I have the Alta Top Mount with the diverter, so i mean the air would still go to the intercooler. And hopefully some air will hit the intercooler body too and cooling it as it goes. Plus the Alta Top mount is so huge its actually raised up and blocks anything going to the coil pack, so thats good! lol.

Still not a good idea? I mean not strictly performance wise I suppose, maybe it'll look kinda cool? LOL

Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 AM
phungshum
Banned
BUT maybe itll drop water to the MAP sensor? That would be bad I'm assuming, but I think everything else should be safe?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Jazzop
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a small-scale experiment you can try in your own home:

This requires a reasonably modern desktop PC that has the ability to monitor the temperature of the CPU and/or motherboard. Either boot into the BIOS or use some third-party app to find out what your baseline temps, both idle and working, are.

1. Remove the main side panel. Remove any front panels like empty-drive-bay blanking plates.

2. Make your CPU and/or GPU work hard by playing some hardcore games or running a computation-heavy program like PrimeGrid.

3. Take a look at your system's temperatures. Notice any difference? [I should add that if your CPU is too clever, it may throttle itself in order to control temps, so disable this in the BIOS if you need to.] Bonus points for me if your system locks up during step 2, above.

But isn't the system able to get more air by having the case wide open? Why would it get hotter after you expose it to more air? Submit your answer in the form of a 500-word essay by next Monday

Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 PM
phungshum
Banned
OKay, sorry not too tech savvy, BUT which idea did you agree with? The ALTA top mount IC get's super hot while driving, so if more air were to hit the body of the IC wouldn't it keep it cooler than having the hood scoop on there?

Originally Posted by Jazzop
Here's a small-scale experiment you can try in your own home:

This requires a reasonably modern desktop PC that has the ability to monitor the temperature of the CPU and/or motherboard. Either boot into the BIOS or use some third-party app to find out what your baseline temps, both idle and working, are.

1. Remove the main side panel. Remove any front panels like empty-drive-bay blanking plates.

2. Make your CPU and/or GPU work hard by playing some hardcore games or running a computation-heavy program like PrimeGrid.

3. Take a look at your system's temperatures. Notice any difference? [I should add that if your CPU is too clever, it may throttle itself in order to control temps, so disable this in the BIOS if you need to.] Bonus points for me if your system locks up during step 2, above.

But isn't the system able to get more air by having the case wide open? Why would it get hotter after you expose it to more air? Submit your answer in the form of a 500-word essay by next Monday

Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hood scoop seals against the intercooler and forces the air down through the intercooler. If the air isn't channeled it will go wherever their is the lowest pressure which is not going perpendicular through an intercooler core. The diverter will help some but the diverters are designed to maximize the hood scoop. The best solution is a bigger hood scoop such as M7 and either the M7 ultimate grille's or the OEM aero kit grille. The grille's will allow more air to flow into the upper radiator area and into the engine bay than the stock slots grille

Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Act_04
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody on here looked at temps on the intercooler and found that no hood scoop is worse. Search the intercooler threads.

However, if you do it, we can all benefit by learning from your mistakes. I kid, I kid.