Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Custom Roof Rack-Anyone interested???

Old 09-07-2005, 12:26 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Roof Rack-Anyone interested???

Okay a buddy and fellow MCS owner and I are working on some custom backets for the OEM Mini Roof rack. The reason for this is that the stock OEM rack requires those crazy shaped bars and thereby using the BMW/Mini specific bike mounts and so forth. Problematic for people who already have invested in Yakima or Thule bike/kayak/luggage boxes and other accessories.

What we have come up with is a CNC'd adaptor that allows you to use round bars with the OEM towers and thereby either Thule or Yakima accessories. This combines the versatility of these manufacturers' systems with the load carrying capactiy of the OEM rack (75kg vs 30kg for the aftermarket ones). Also you don't need those wacky clips hooked under you door seals.

Sooooooo, who here would be interested in this? I can post some pics if there is an interest. Also would probably work on BMW racks, but will need to look at these closer to make sure. Would run about $50 for a set of 4 adaptors.

Joel

Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, that sounds like a great idea, and I bet there will be a bunch of interest.

Secondly, I hate to be a buzzkill, but just so you know, you'll probably be contacted by NAM site administrators and reminded of rule #6 in the site guidelines:

"If you wish to advertise and/or perform market research on NAM, you must be a paying Vendor. Click on Contact Us found in the Main Menu block to learn more. Group buys must be arranged through NAM vendors."

One thread this past week has already been edited and had some posts deleted due to this rule.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Oops!

Sorry, not trying to cause a problem. I fully apologize. I guess I should have posted it as a "look what we have done" type thing and then let people PM me. Similar to the intake scoop MYSFITOY has shown on the forums. Not something I was planning on selling or marketing in the greater Mini community.

So to try again:
Yeah, I was thinking about doing something like this, anyone have any ideas about it?? PM me for details on the idea.

Joel

Old 09-19-2005, 08:52 PM
djyco
1st Gear
HI Yes I'm interested I would like to see a PIC.

Thanks
Einstein

Old 11-23-2005, 12:12 AM
ZenMINI3
2nd Gear
also interested, pics would be great.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:44 AM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sent IM. Post some photos too!

Old 11-23-2005, 06:05 PM
sambusik
6th Gear
I'm VERY interested.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:25 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Well guys and gals I am still working on this project. Unfortunately my partner is being very slow on getting me pictures of the prototypes, which he has on his car.

Basically I am still planning on moving ahead on this, but need to prod my buddy into getting me those pictures. A soon as I have them I will post them. The $50 price is contingent on getting enough interest to have them investment cast. Otherwise they will be CNC'd custom, each set. this makes the price more, probably about $100 for a set of four.

I can say for sure though that they work great, as he has had his set on for a year in the midwest without any problems. Also remember the advantage of the factory towers is that you can load over 100 pound on the rack. If you use the Yakima Q towers or the Thule system you are limited to about 50 pounds total including the rack weight. So this system will be much more versatile.

As soon as I have more info I will post it!

Have a happy T-day everybody!!

Joel

Old 04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
So... Anything ever come of this?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Ditto KiLO

I have just gone through a frustrating experience trying the 2 bike racks offered by MINI for use with their OEM rack. The fork mounted tray hit my spoiler when fully open and the rack with adjustable arm was not convincingly stable. I would love to see what came of this because I am still not crazy about spending $500-600 for a rear hitch system, MINI or aftermarket.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
Hey french_toaster... I ended up with the OEM rack as well... I've done a ton of research, and actually ended up getting the Thule V.2 fork-mounted bike tray. I also have an Inno fork mounted bike tray.

They both work, but I actually really like the Thule, and it's a real clean look as well.

As far as the spoiler issue goes, I had the same issue, but realized that if you move the bike attachment far to the left or right side, it clears the spoiler without having to cut anything off the end of the tray. I have the Cooper though, so perhaps the MCS spoiler is a bit difference clearance-wise.

Anyway, just some insight there from my experience... :D

Good luck and let me know if you find anything else out!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:36 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KiLO
Hey french_toaster... I ended up with the OEM rack as well... I've done a ton of research, and actually ended up getting the Thule V.2 fork-mounted bike tray. I also have an Inno fork mounted bike tray.

They both work, but I actually really like the Thule, and it's a real clean look as well.

As far as the spoiler issue goes, I had the same issue, but realized that if you move the bike attachment far to the left or right side, it clears the spoiler without having to cut anything off the end of the tray. I have the Cooper though, so perhaps the MCS spoiler is a bit difference clearance-wise.

Anyway, just some insight there from my experience... :D

Good luck and let me know if you find anything else out!
KiLO et al,
I did find out today after visiting a couple bike dealers, that nothing in the Yakima or Thule (non-MINI Specific) will work with the OEM Roof System, at least nothing that they recommend. Based on this info, I have decided to just go back to the MINI Fork Mount Rack and saw off about 2" off the end. Thankfully there is an endcap that can cover the cut. You are right, the spoiler on an MCS does make contact regardless of how far off to the side I place the mount. Although I hate make the cut, I agree that the MINI Fork Mount is a clean look.
So that's that.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Bummer about the clearance issue with the spoiler.

Actually, there is a way to make the racks work... All you need is just some wider washers than the ones that come with the Thule mounting kit that they make for the Aero bars. The Aero cross bars are almost identical to the OEM MINI cross bars. I will try and get some photos for you actually... It's hard to explain in words, haha :D

Old 05-31-2007, 09:15 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Hey guys. Sorry I let this die. It was takingh forever to get fab work done. I do have a set on my car and I can talk to the guy who CNC'd them for me. I can use the full Yakima and Thule line of products with the OEM towers and Yakima crossbars. I think he was going to go ahead and have some investment cast, but I haven't talked to him in awhile. Would someone still be interested in buying sets of these??

-Joel

Old 05-31-2007, 04:33 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
I'd love to see some photos of how your set up looks... I'm interested in getting some more info forsure...

Old 06-03-2007, 10:58 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
I'd love to see some photos of how your set up looks... I'm interested in getting some more info forsure...
K. I will throw it on the car sometime this week and try to take some pics. SOrry been enjoying the new power lately and haven't been riding much!

Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
So I have an update. I have a couple of sets of these available now. If anyone wants them, they are $90 for a set of four. I can have additional sets machined for the same price. These are all done on a CNC system and are very high quality alloy pieces. There is nothing else you need to use them with your MINI towers and Yakima or Thule attachments. I will post up some pics tomorrow of the system on my car.

-Joel

Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
Thanks man, pictures would be great

Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Thanks man, pictures would be great
Yeah sorry about the pictures. My family is relocating in the next 3 weeks and I have just been so busy that I haven't had time to put the rack on the car and take some pictures. I PROMISE I will get this done ASAP.

-Joel

Old 06-12-2007, 09:41 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
No problem man! Thanks for your time spent :D