North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior-33/)
-   -   Interior/Exterior performance of Aero kit? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/38720-performance-of-aero-kit.html)

SpiderX 03-04-2005 04:20 AM

performance of Aero kit?

Does anyone know the effectiveness of the Aero kit? Drag co-efficients/downwardforce/increased air flow to the engine etc? In otherwords is there a point besides appearance?

scotteast 03-04-2005 05:11 AM

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that it's all cosmetic and has no impact on performance or aerodynamics.

kaelaria 03-04-2005 06:01 AM

I would bet it slows you down a tick.

AldoS 03-04-2005 07:05 AM

It adds weight and frontal area so draw your own conclusions. Any aero benefit would be at extreme speeds. Just my thoughts. With all that said, I still think the kit LOOKS great.

Yucca Patrol 03-04-2005 07:07 AM

It's nothing but a party dress for your MINI. . . . but it sure is a nice looking one! :thumbsup:

ChiliCooperS 03-04-2005 04:54 PM

I would not think so. It changes the front and rear fender shape slightly by adding on to it. But I was told by my dealer that it does not sitck down any farther it just looks like it. If you wanted something to improve this, I would get a front spoiler from M7.

That's just my $.02
Mikey

kurvhugr 03-05-2005 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by AldoS
It adds weight and frontal area so draw your own conclusions.

I've seen posts where folks wondered about a weight difference but this is the first time I've seen anyone admit that they know one is heavier than the other. Details please! What is the weight differential and which aero kit pieces were included in the comparison? thanks :smile:

kenchan 03-05-2005 11:34 AM

All cosmetic for street use. I have it and it really makes a difference in appearance. :smile:

SpiderX 03-05-2005 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by kenchan
All cosmetic for street use. I have it and it really makes a difference in appearance. :smile:

I was going to order it until I found out I might have to buy a new ECU for $1600. I agree your car looks very cool.:thumbsup:

jazmini 03-06-2005 08:38 AM

Although someone just said their dealer told them the aero kit doesn't affect ground clearance (if I understood them right), but several dealers have told me it does hang down more than stock so reduces ground clearance by a little. I'd be interested in knowing the real deal. When I first bought my MC I liked the stock MC front end look, but admitted the aero kit looked more aggressive. Now, after seeing the aero kit more, I like it a lot. :smile:

I think it should improve downforce, as that is the purpose of aero kits, and you can just look at them to get a feel for how they will catch and redirect the wind. It may be slight and only noticeable at high speeds (hopefully not too high to be useable), but an improvement is still an improvement. However, along with that would be that the car catches the wind more (as it catches the wind to force the car down instead of just blowing over and under the car) so is less slippery which lowers gas mileage. But this increases safety too, as the car should be better planted and less squirrely feeling. Ha -- a squirrely MINI -- that's impossible! :grin:

I'd like to get it too, but concerned with ground clearance, as I need to be able to get through the automated car wash down the street, to get the road salt off the undercarriage.

AldoS 03-06-2005 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by kurvhugr
I've seen posts where folks wondered about a weight difference but this is the first time I've seen anyone admit that they know one is heavier than the other. Details please! What is the weight differential and which aero kit pieces were included in the comparison? thanks :smile:

My statement was not based on anything but observation. I assume that bigger pieces= more weight but I could very well be wrong. Maybe the fiberglass replacement parts are lighter than the original plastic.

jazmini 03-06-2005 04:15 PM

Doesn't the aero kit just glue on or bolt on over the stock pieces? Does anyone know? They should be light pieces, so any weight gain should be minimal, i.e., I'm guessing maybe 5-10 lbs??????

kurvhugr 03-06-2005 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jazmini
Doesn't the aero kit just glue on or bolt on over the stock pieces? Does anyone know? They should be light pieces, so any weight gain should be minimal, i.e., I'm guessing maybe 5-10 lbs??????

Nope, it's all replacement pieces - you just remove the old bits & install the new.

MiniMe05 03-06-2005 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by AldoS
My statement was not based on anything but observation. I assume that bigger pieces= more weight but I could very well be wrong. Maybe the fiberglass replacement parts are lighter than the original plastic.

Aero kit is plastic just like the stock parts. No fiberglass.

jazmini 03-06-2005 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by kurvhugr
Nope, it's all replacement pieces - you just remove the old bits & install the new.

Thanks kurvhugr.

no_affiliation 03-07-2005 08:07 AM

Aerokit hangs about an inch lower then the stock items, it's very clear if you look at the side skirts.

Stock MC/MCS you can see the jack points, AeroKit all hidden.

Wraith1416 03-07-2005 09:45 AM

extra weight IMO, looks really really sweet tho:smile: