Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior thinking of buying trunk mounted bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:59 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thinking of buying trunk mounted bike rack

I'm wondering if anyone out there has good or bad or any experience with a trunk/hatch mounted bike rack. Yakima makes the loco joe and the little joe which are inexpensive. I would be using this only once or twice a year as all my biking needs are out my door, so not looking for anything fancy, just want something that won't damage my car and that will hold the bike securely and not fall off at highway speed

Old 12-21-2004, 07:10 AM
JAKEMAX
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have yakima's web site -- would like to inquire.

Thanks

Old 12-24-2004, 01:40 PM
elbee
2nd Gear
I have a Saris Bones rack that I'm not using. I upgraded to a roof rack and haven't used the trunk rack in a while. Please let me know if you're interested and I can send you some pictures.

dave@intuitivewebs.com

Old 12-25-2004, 11:21 PM
MINIGT50
3rd Gear
I have the Yakima rack....don't know the exact name of it but it's the rear mount one, and it works great. Bought it at my bike shop for under $100, so it was economical too.

It works great, no signs of using it left on the vehicle when you remove it, overall a good design. I do however strap my bike down to the rack with an extra bungee, because I only carry one bike and the rubber bike clamps seem to want to slide backwards on the rail, leaving the bike at the very back of the rack if I don't do the extra support. Also, I remove the front wheel of the bike as a precaution because it can rub on the bumper as it's spinning around if the handlebar turns. But you can tie the bike so that the handlebar doesn't turn, to me it's just easier popping the front wheel off as it's quick release on most bikes anyway.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:15 AM
azuul
3rd Gear
I have the Yakima Mighty Joe. Its a bit more than $100 (look for it on sale). It works perfectly with my MCS. The top straps hooks attach through the scoop to the hatch and the 2 side straps hooks attach to the side for a secure fit. What's best is that the Mighty Joe instructions give the exact measurements needed for each car, including the MINI. I have had 3 bikes on it, but I wouldn't recommend doing that many bikes. However, for 1 or 2 bikes its great and easy.