How do I strip chrome off of plastic trim? - North American Motoring

Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

How do I strip chrome off of plastic trim?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Neutral

How do I strip chrome off of plastic trim?

I have a 2012 Mini Cooper S and recently the clips on my front upper chrome trim broke.

I decided instead of throwing it away I'm going to test how I can strip the chrome off. So I can do this to the rest of my chrome trim and paint it black.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with striping the chrome off these trim pieces?
Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Would think it was plated on and therefore wondering whether you would have to sand it off.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM
6th Gear

I think sometimes people get hung up on MINI being a one of car as opposed to being a car that shares a lot with other cars. Loads of info on removing chrome out on the internet, youtube, etc.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:14 PM
3rd Gear

I don't know that you have to remove it. Scuff it up really well with a scotchbrite pad to give the paint something to attach to and then prime and paint.

Make sure the primeri and or paint is good for plastic. Not sure if you're going to use spray cans? if so there are many now that specifically say they are intended to be used on plastic. I used Krylon Fusion paint on some flexible plastic (milk jug type plastic) and it did not chip or flake off. I was impressed with it.