Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Retrofitting dual gauges, and replacements for middle speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:33 PM
Gabz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retrofitting dual gauges, and replacements for middle speedo?

Hello fellas! Just joined the forum as I'm concidering buying a R53 and want to know a few things beforehand. A couple of them:

I understand that it is possible to retrofit dual gauges on the steering column just by buying just the twin-gauge and a new plastic trim for the column? Just mount it, plug it in and code it? That's it? No splicing of cables or cutting or anything?

And if so, what are easy replacements for the middle speedo which is now obsolete? Because when you code the new speedo on the column to work, the middle one will stop working, right?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
a Mini noob.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
From what I have read this is no easy matter. If you can figure it all out please post the method as I would think there are quite a few that would be interested.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabz
I understand that it is possible to retrofit dual gauges on the steering column just by buying just the twin-gauge and a new plastic trim for the column? Just mount it, plug it in and code it? That's it? No splicing of cables or cutting or anything?
You understand incorrectly. Unfortunately it's not a plug and play swap, though that would be awesome. Even trying to switch from Nav to Chrono is difficult/near impossible. You really wan to buy a car that has your preferred dash/gauge setup rather than expecting to modify it.
Welcome to NAM!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Gabz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, I see. I guess so. They are just so expensive here in Norway. A properly good condition and well equipped facelift R53 is like $3500-5000 (30000-40000 NOK) more expensive than an alright pre-facelift car here. And most of the cheaper ones here are without panorama roof, dual gauges on the column, 3-spoke wheel, HK speakers etc. But I'll see what I can find when my BMW is sold and I'm on the search for a Mini Thank you for your replies and your welcome!