Interior/Exterior Tow hook

Old 11-03-2016, 08:00 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tow hook

What's out there? What doe you guys like? I'm in the market for one.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:29 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I picked up one from M7 at the Dragon last spring. Eventually I'm going to rill out the cover to clean it up some.

https://www.m7tuning.com/generation-...1-f55-f56.html

Attached Thumbnails Tow hook-fullsizeoutput_1f7.jpeg  

Last edited by vetsvette; 11-04-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I have the Cravenspeed tow hook. Very substantial and well-made.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Tow Hook

Here's an application guide with three different types to compare:

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...lication_Guide

Hope this helps!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Dogote
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AROSPEED-BLA...RWXy6a&vxp=mtr

The Rennsport looks like the best one out there, I don't like the cravenspeed at all. I'll actually use it. Today I high centered in wet, deep snow in the parking lot at work. It took quite a tug with an SUV to get me out.
Because of where I live, I have been thinking of adding some hooks. The factory hook works fine, but I want something that doesn't look like crap if I leave it in.

There are others on eBay for about the same price. I know I get what I pay for, but its a tow hook, I don't want to spend $200.00.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:53 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't have any tow hooks, but would be very leery of an aluminum unit (either shaft or loop). I would expect the aluminum units would only take some 'light' straight on pulling and anything off-angle, which is the most likely scenario, would end its life pretty quickly. The Rennline units above look like pretty good units that won't let you down if/when you need them to perform.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 AM
Dogote
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WhatV8
I don't have any tow hooks, but would be very leery of an aluminum unit (either shaft or loop). I would expect the aluminum units would only take some 'light' straight on pulling and anything off-angle, which is the most likely scenario, would end its life pretty quickly. The Rennline units above look like pretty good units that won't let you down if/when you need them to perform.
Yes, the Rennline's are the real deal. I should either just spend the money and get them, or forget about it and just use the factory hook again if I need it. We had to give a pretty good yank to get me unstuck, it was also at a bit of an angle. Hopefully the bad part of the snow season is over, and I've learned my lesson on how deep of snow I can get through. This little car is unstoppable on ice with the Nokian Hakka 8's, but no clearance in the deep stuff. I should have driven my Wrangler yesterday.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM
vetsvette
I'll stick with my M7 unit for less than half the price. If I should ever need it and it prove to not be up to snuff, then I'll consider another alternative. I always have the OEM hook to fall back on. I compared both the M7 and Rennline when I was at MOTD last year and decided to go with the M7. At least I'll never have to worry about getting it stuck in the snow ... I have a Suburban for that.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Dogote
2nd Gear
So I dug around through some bins of various helicopter parts I have. I found some titanium shackles that used to be mounted to an engine for removing it. For some reason the manufacture had us remove and discard them. Yeah right, throw a titanium part away, they got engraved "not for aircraft use" and went home with me. If my neighbors lathe can cut the same threads into some stainless rod stock I have (mine will not) I'll have the most awesome set of tow hooks ever. Why spend money when you can spend an entire day (or longer, and may involve others peoples days too) making something?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:56 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
MINIs come with a tow hook, why buy an aftermarket one, unless you lost the original?

Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Dogote
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
MINIs come with a tow hook, why buy an aftermarket one, unless you lost the original?
Maybe somewhat RICE, I like how it looks and will go well with the rest of my rally inspired gear like the 4 big Hella lights, Rally Armor mud flaps, and Rennsport skid plate. But I also like the idea of leaving the hook in because I am an idiot when it comes to getting stuck in the snow. I run Hakka 8's with studs, but they don't help when I turn into a driveway or parking lot with 10 inches of wet snow. They call it "Cascade Concrete" for a reason.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
If you are looking for something to actually tow the car when you need stick with the original as it won't break or bend. If you want it to look better paint it, powdercoat, or plasti dip it.

If you just want one for looks pick what you like many of them are similar, some are the same china made with just different logos on them. But DON'T plan on towing the car with them. We've seen time after time they will bend, break or worse pull the threads out of the bumper.
Also the anodized red ones will turn pink in the sun.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
RllyDrvrIX (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Jason Plotkin
Neutral
Has anyone used the tow hook to tie off bow and stern lines for a kayak? It'd be super convenient!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:15 AM
vetsvette
Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
there's been a switch to use cloth tow hooks, less of a weapon when you hit something

The following users liked this post:
RllyDrvrIX (11-21-2017)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:22 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I picked up one from M7 at the Dragon last spring. Eventually I'm going to rill out the cover to clean it up some.

https://www.m7tuning.com/generation-...1-f55-f56.html
You need one for these for your tow hook!!!

Search this Thread