Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Spec D Smoked LED Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:33 PM
usafdrew
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Spec D Smoked LED Taillights

Anyone run these that can provide insight as to how well they hold up, fit and perform? I've done a search and came up with a few hits, but none that comment on long term performance. Pictures and a few videos I've seen all look promising. Just wanting to hear first hand before I buy.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...994d79a3ba.jpg

Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM
top_hat
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had these installed for about a year now. Absolutely love them and take years off the car. I know many people say that the reverse lights don't work for models older then 2005 I think, not to sure, anyways this is true, as I have a 2002. However it wasn't a big deal to me as the stock reverse light above exhaust tips still works just fine. I haven't had any problems with them as of yet. 10 out of 10 would by again!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 AM
NevadaMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spec-D LED Tails

Yep, I've had them for about a year as well. I too really like them. I have a pre-facelift 03 R53. They are indicated for use with post facelift cars as they include the reverse lights. The reverse lights in the tail lights don't work, but they don't have to as the reverse light low in the bumper continues to operate as normal. For post facelift R50/R53 cars, the reverse lights in the Spec-Ds will work as they should.

I've replaced the reverse lights with Red LED's. My understanding is that in pre-facelift cars, the #1 pin goes to the rear fogs. I have a 6 toggle switch panel with the rear fogs, and I just have to get the option turned on to have rear fogs in the Spec-D LED lights. In the post facelift cars, the #1 pin goes to the integrated reverse lights. So, really, these tail lights can be thought of as "universal" for pre and post facelift R50/R53 cars

Regarding fit, they were really easy to install. They fit well and seal well. Just don't over tighten the mounting stud as it is seated in the plastic housing. I have not had any issues with water getting in at all. Overall, I REALLY like them a bunch.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Jimmyjamesphan
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NevadaMini
Yep, I've had them for about a year as well. I too really like them. I have a pre-facelift 03 R53. They are indicated for use with post facelift cars as they include the reverse lights. The reverse lights in the tail lights don't work, but they don't have to as the reverse light low in the bumper continues to operate as normal. For post facelift R50/R53 cars, the reverse lights in the Spec-Ds will work as they should.

I've replaced the reverse lights with Red LED's. My understanding is that in pre-facelift cars, the #1 pin goes to the rear fogs. I have a 6 toggle switch panel with the rear fogs, and I just have to get the option turned on to have rear fogs in the Spec-D LED lights. In the post facelift cars, the #1 pin goes to the integrated reverse lights. So, really, these tail lights can be thought of as "universal" for pre and post facelift R50/R53 cars

Regarding fit, they were really easy to install. They fit well and seal well. Just don't over tighten the mounting stud as it is seated in the plastic housing. I have not had any issues with water getting in at all. Overall, I REALLY like them a bunch.

Hope that helps!
Nevada mini is right. I got it for my 03 and my brother has it for his 07. Both worked perfectly

Old 08-26-2017, 09:21 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I've been using them for about 6 weeks now - and love them (06 R53).

Old 12-12-2017, 12:52 PM
ItalianJobR53
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking at the same lights for my pre-facelift 2004. Mine has the factory rear fog lights installed and working.
Do these have in-built fog lights in them?
Sorry to bump an old thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:58 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I have an 06S, so I don't know if the Spec D's are different for pre facelift. In mine, there are no fog lights - as the fog light sits where the reverse light does on the pre facelift models.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 PM
top_hat
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
I have an 06S, so I don't know if the Spec D's are different for pre facelift. In mine, there are no fog lights - as the fog light sits where the reverse light does on the pre facelift models.
That still works fine as they have reverse lights in the tail light themselves. Pre 2005 the reverse like is in the bottom of bumper above the exhaust tips. But they work with either or.

The following users liked this post:
ItalianJobR53 (04-18-2018)