Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior A new question about sport seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Ducati Pilot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new question about sport seat swap

I'm swapping the (effing TERRIBLE) seats in my R50 for some comfy, supportive aftermarket reclining sport seats. I've already fabbed the airbag resistor leads, BUT... What about occupancy sensors in an 02 R50? I want both driver and passenger front airbags to function in an impact which I understand can only happen if the car thinks an *** is planted in the respective seat. One post said there are three leads under the seat, one for airbag (yellow) and two for the belts. (And I'm fine with a chimex or fastening the passenger belt if necessary.) Is the second belt harness for an occupancy sensor, and if so, or not, do you simply leave the circuit open, install another resistor jumper, or what? Thanks again for a great resource.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There isn't an occupancy sensor on an 02. Those didn't show up until 05 and 06. I just replaced my seats with leather from a 2012. Use your seatbelt harness and the resistor in the airbag. Or if you use mini seats from a later year retrofit the plugs to match on the airbag and you will be fine.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Ducati Pilot
1st Gear
Does the fasten seat belt light come on if you are seated?

Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
No there is no sensor. It knows if you get buckled in as the seatbelt buckle is wired in. And there is an explosive charge in the buckle that tightens the belt if there is an accident. You will want to reuse the buckle off your stock seat and retrofit it on to the new seat. It is held on with one bolt.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Ducati Pilot
1st Gear
Then why does the fasten seat belt light come on when a passenger gets in and doesn't buckle up? The system knows somehow, right? It might not have the PIA pressure sensor that the 05/06 cars got, but it has to know somehow, right? Thanks again for the response and for helping to figure this out.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:33 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
I don't know. My car is an 03 and the light doesn't come on with the passenger side. There should be only 3 plugs under the seat. The yellow one is the airbag. The blue one is the charge seatbelt tensioner and the black one is the seatbelt buckled in.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Ducati Pilot
1st Gear
Thanks again. I can't explain it, but when I have a passenger that doesn't fasten the belt the light comes on. I've argued with a friend over it who refuses to wear a seatbelt (what if the car catches on fire and I can't get out, what if I'm submerged in water and can't get out, etc. My good friend is an effing moron.) I would love to figure this out. My lovely wife, who always buckles up and is never an effing moron, is the primary occupant on my right and I really want to know her front airbag is functional.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:43 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Ducati Pilot
Thanks again. I can't explain it, but when I have a passenger that doesn't fasten the belt the light comes on. I've argued with a friend over it who refuses to wear a seatbelt (what if the car catches on fire and I can't get out, what if I'm submerged in water and can't get out, etc. My good friend is an effing moron.) I would love to figure this out. My lovely wife, who always buckles up and is never an effing moron, is the primary occupant on my right and I really want to know her front airbag is functional.
I would just reapond with, "What if I refuse to let you ride in my car unless you ear your seatbelt?" Or "Did you know I can get a ticket because of your stupidity?"

Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
The airbag circuit in the front will always deploy in the early years. To catch the moron that didn't buckle his seatbelt.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 PM
ItzNeil
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you document the steps, or follow some published steps to retro fit into your 03? I have the same year, and while the seats are OK, the driver lower cushion is worse for wear. Considering leather form something newer, heard it CAN be done, but not found much to show how.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:18 AM
Ducati Pilot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gpwpat
The airbag circuit in the front will always deploy in the early years. To catch the moron that didn't buckle his seatbelt.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:22 AM
Ducati Pilot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItzNeil
Did you document the steps, or follow some published steps to retro fit into your 03? I have the same year, and while the seats are OK, the driver lower cushion is worse for wear. Considering leather form something newer, heard it CAN be done, but not found much to show how.
I'm not retrofitting, i got aftermarket seats. I'll post some pix after I get the brackets (2nd week of April) and get them installed. And at this point, I'll just rest uneasy and hope the front airbags work, as I've not heard from anyone saying otherwise. I didn't see anything to suggest any kind of sensor in the factory wiring schematic either. Thanks again to all who helped out--pix to follow!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
eventually Ill need new seats too, im a bit large for the factory bolsters, and I need a bit more. aftermarket will prolly be the route until I get my hands on the newest recaro from the f56