Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior UNDERGLOW electrical power for my mini?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Tristankix
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNDERGLOW electrical power for my mini?

Im looking to install an underglow for my car r53 and found a site that has 7 color changing http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q3N...=AC_SX200_QL40

But don't know how to wire it and what to connect it to for the electrical to power it. If anyone has done this or knows where I need to connect it the help would be awesome thanks!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Please. Don't.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Tristankix
2nd Gear
Why? Just new with the mini and trying to do little things to it first any suggestions on what I should do to help with exterior?

UNDERGLOW electrical power for my mini?-image-2197054251.jpg

That's it right now and trying to generate ideas for it.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a couple questions...

1. Is it 2001 again and I just didn't know it?
2. Are you old enough to remember when the President "did not have sexual relations with that woman"?

That aside, back in the day, when the Backstreet Boys were still a thing, and underglow was all the rage along with fake hood scoops and large pointless spoilers, we would wire the kits directly to the battery through body panels. We would also run a switch in-line to the cabin, usually near the drivers' knees as to hide the switch from the 5-0...

After a while, when the technology had advanced a bit, wireless remotes were the thing. This kit appears to utilize one of those. You can still wire it up to the battery, but make sure you mount the control module in a place that can be accessed easily for future maintenance.

I do agree with Zillon on this one, but to each their own. There are a million and one how-to's on the web related to underglow. Many of them are pretty old, but still relevant. Go take a look.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tristankix
Any suggestions on what I should do to help with exterior?
Tints are always a good mod as long as you keep it reasonable. AKA, don't make it so dark that you'll get a ticket, or so dark that you can't see out the windows at night.

Plasti-Dip is your friend!!! I de-chromed my exterior and saved a bunch of $$$ by using Plasti-Dip. There are a TON of posts regarding this product. Just do a search.

Get a stubby antenna. Unless you like the RC car look.

Lighting upgrades are a good way to go, assuming you don't already have Bi-Xenons installed.

But seriously, just dig around the forums a bit. Or if you'd like a shot in the dark, just Google "Mini Cooper Mods" and browse the images page for ideas!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Tristankix
2nd Gear
I have plasti dip just waiting for it to warm up a little so it doesn't clump up! Also want the stub antenna and tint is going to be done within the new few weeks it's an 05 and it has the projector headlights on it already also looking to do some spacers and alright just trying to find somethin I can do to set my mini apart from others when people see it! Thanks for the info!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 PM
Maybe
1st Gear
Keeping it clean inside and out + a nice set of aftermarket wheels stanced properly will turn plenty of heads... Aero grill kit is also a popular one for exterior mods that makes a big difference visually, but the lower grill takes some extra work to put on. It's also nice to compliment the car visually with a nice "grown up" intake/exhaust sound (not the Honda "bees in a tin can" people love to strap on their cars).
Get too carried away with the outside and your wont necessarily turn more heads, but you will see a LOT more police attention.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Tristankix
2nd Gear
Alright thanks for the info!! Will look into that stuff soon! Thank you!

Old 01-22-2015, 03:31 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Centium
I have a couple questions... 1. Is it 2001 again and I just didn't know it? 2. Are you old enough to remember when the President "did not have sexual relations with that woman"? That aside, back in the day, when the Backstreet Boys were still a thing, and underglow was all the rage along with fake hood scoops and large pointless spoilers, we would wire the kits directly to the battery through body panels. We would also run a switch in-line to the cabin, usually near the drivers' knees as to hide the switch from the 5-0... After a while, when the technology had advanced a bit, wireless remotes were the thing. This kit appears to utilize one of those. You can still wire it up to the battery, but make sure you mount the control module in a place that can be accessed easily for future maintenance. I do agree with Zillon on this one, but to each their own. There are a million and one how-to's on the web related to underglow. Many of them are pretty old, but still relevant. Go take a look.
Haha - +1 to this guy. Retro is all the rage I hear?? Underglow was tacky then and it's tacky now...don't. Also you will get ticketed instantly for trying to drive with it on....