Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior GP2 Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 AM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GP2 Steering Wheel?

What's up guys

Not sure if am the first one to ask this question, but I can't find anything.
As you know I have a 2008 R56 auto. And I wanted to get a new steering wheel with more grip and because my current one is too old as well.

So I was looking at the GP2 Steering Wheel and on the description it says "Not designed for use with automatics unless modifications are performed. Professional installation recommended due to airbag removal."

Now about the paddle shifters "The ability to use the paddle shifters with this steering wheel will be lost." is is something to live without? Lol, I mean I can't down shift with my left paddle shifter it shift up a gear for some reason....

Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I installed a JCW suede wheel on my car, and installed the paddle shifters. The steel frame of the wheel is the same, but the foam is not 'notched' for the paddle shifters. You can use your old wheel for a template, and trim out the foam with some sharp x-acto blades. There are a few 'how-to' articles around this forum.
The Bentley manual describes how to take off the airbag and wheel, it isn't that bad. just remember to disconnect the battery so you don't get any suprises.

I highly recommend the alacantara wheel, it feels great in your hands compared to the regular MCS wheel. Check out some of the vendors here, you should be able to get a wheel for about $400.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 AM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
I installed a JCW suede wheel on my car, and installed the paddle shifters. The steel frame of the wheel is the same, but the foam is not 'notched' for the paddle shifters. You can use your old wheel for a template, and trim out the foam with some sharp x-acto blades. There are a few 'how-to' articles around this forum.
The Bentley manual describes how to take off the airbag and wheel, it isn't that bad. just remember to disconnect the battery so you don't get any suprises.

I highly recommend the alacantara wheel, it feels great in your hands compared to the regular MCS wheel. Check out some of the vendors here, you should be able to get a wheel for about $400.

Have fun,
Mike
Am not sure how the gp2 steering is compared to the jcw regular one, ill have to see a "how to thread" so I can know the difference when it comes to having the paddle shifters.

The JCW Alcantara Steering Wheel looks nice do they have more than one design? Like with the red stitching and act?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
You can mod the GP2 steering wheel for paddles , it shares the same set up as the JCW alcantara Thicker steering wheel .

JCW GP2 Leather Steering Wheel - Red Stitching

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/32306858010/

And the JCW thicker alcantara / leather 32300416251

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/32300416251/

Linked for Mod.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-shifters.html

Install:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tallation.html

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 02-10-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:54 AM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
You can mod the GP2 steering wheel for paddles , it shares the safe set up as the JCW alcantara Thicker steering wheel .

Linked for Mod.

Install:

Thanks
thank you soo much you just answered all my questions. after the car is done i might be placing a order for one

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (08-28-2017)
Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The back of the suede wheel looks like the paddle shifters would bolt right up, maybe minor trimming. Maybe they changed this because they started offering JCW automatics? My wheel looked like the GP2 on the back, which is why I needed to cut out foam.

Again, ECS to the rescue....

Have fun,
Mike

Old 10-31-2014, 06:25 PM
SODA66
4th Gear
hope you guys realize that alcantara is synthetic and not real leather. It was developed in Japan for steering wheels.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:47 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SODA66
hope you guys realize that alcantara is synthetic and not real leather. It was developed in Japan for steering wheels.
And so? http://www.alcantara.com/

The GP wheel leather/Alcantara wheel is one of the best mods I ever added! (Plus, its a dead perfect match for the Recaro seats in my Clubman!)

(Ok, well the big RSB is a really great upgrade as well..)

Old 10-31-2014, 07:10 PM
StuRat
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the GP2 wheel on my JCW CM and the Alcantara wheel on my GP1 and MCS... love both the full leather of the GP2 and the Alcantara.... just wish the Alcan had red stitching...

Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
How well are the suede/alcantara sections wearing in the steering wheels? I'm afraid to get it and have it become matted quickly

Old 11-01-2014, 08:26 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Phil at www.detailersdomain.com has special alcantara foam cleaner for this. I use it on my JCW steering wheel. If memory serves, it's a SONAX product. Works great !

Old 11-01-2014, 02:47 PM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
Well I do have a blue MCS, not sure how the GP steering wheel with the red stitching is going to look

Old 11-01-2014, 05:19 PM
spingq
4th Gear
You might consider going the route I am, which is buying a cheap used steering wheel off eBay and then ordering a custom leather cover in any color and thread you want from redlinegoods. Additional padding optional. I'm planning on getting black Nappa leather on the top and bottom with perforated black Nappa on the sides and cream (off white) thread. I've already got black Nappa with cream "M style" stitching on my boots and armrest, so I figured the steering wheel would be best if it had matching leather and thread. The used steering wheel only cost $75 shipped so the whole deal should end up being less than $250.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I did the Redlinegoods choice with cream thread and I love it. It looks as factory as can be.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:19 AM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
I have to look at both options , but they are pretty cool ideas for sure thanks guys

Old 11-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by flakoR56
What's up guys

Not sure if am the first one to ask this question, but I can't find anything.
As you know I have a 2008 R56 auto. And I wanted to get a new steering wheel with more grip and because my current one is too old as well.

So I was looking at the GP2 Steering Wheel and on the description it says "Not designed for use with automatics unless modifications are performed. Professional installation recommended due to airbag removal."

Now about the paddle shifters "The ability to use the paddle shifters with this steering wheel will be lost." is is something to live without? Lol, I mean I can't down shift with my left paddle shifter it shift up a gear for some reason....
I just spent two weeks driving an automatic that didn't have the paddle shifters on the wheel and I can say the paddles are definitely needed to enjoy the driving experience. It's something I would not eliminate just to get a new steering wheel. FYI I have the paddle shifters on my 08 auto and love it.

As for the left paddle not downshifting, you need to read the book. In there you will find that pulling either paddle engages an upshift while pushing either paddle engages a downshift. It's a little like the old Porsche tiptronics where you pushed a button to downshift and pulled the button to upshift. So remember, push - downshift; pull - upshift.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 AM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
I just spent two weeks driving an automatic that didn't have the paddle shifters on the wheel and I can say the paddles are definitely needed to enjoy the driving experience. It's something I would not eliminate just to get a new steering wheel. FYI I have the paddle shifters on my 08 auto and love it.

As for the left paddle not downshifting, you need to read the book. In there you will find that pulling either paddle engages an upshift while pushing either paddle engages a downshift. It's a little like the old Porsche tiptronics where you pushed a button to downshift and pulled the button to upshift. So remember, push - downshift; pull - upshift.

Yes i love the paddle shifter yesterday I took the mini for a ride , it was down to 55 down in Miami and that's a miracle lol ; and I was using them yesterday night and I wouldn't take them out . I'll mod the new steering wheel so I can keep them.

And is there a manual that you can point me to do I can look at the downshifting problem

Thanks

Old 11-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This is from the owner's manual on pages 47-48:

Shifting on the steering wheel*
With the selector lever in position D, automatic
drive, you can shift gears using the shift paddles
on the steering wheel. The transmission automatically
switches to manual mode.

If you do not shift gears with the shift paddles or
accelerate for a certain amount of time, the
transmission automatically returns to D, automatic
drive.
> Pull one of the shift paddles.
Transmission shifts up.
> Push one of the shift paddles.
Transmission shifts down.
M1 to M6 is displayed in the gear indicator.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:15 PM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
This is from the owner's manual on pages 47-48:

Shifting on the steering wheel*
With the selector lever in position D, automatic
drive, you can shift gears using the shift paddles
on the steering wheel. The transmission automatically
switches to manual mode.

If you do not shift gears with the shift paddles or
accelerate for a certain amount of time, the
transmission automatically returns to D, automatic
drive.
> Pull one of the shift paddles.
Transmission shifts up.
> Push one of the shift paddles.
Transmission shifts down.
M1 to M6 is displayed in the gear indicator.
Thanks am going to try this right now

Old 11-02-2014, 09:07 PM
spingq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ive's Mini
I did the Redlinegoods choice with cream thread and I love it. It looks as factory as can be.
would you mind sharing some pics? I'm actually planning on going with cream thread as well, since I've already got black nappa boots and arm rests from them with cream stitching

Old 11-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Sure, here are a couple. I love the way it looks and how it feels!

Name:  steeringwheelinstalledmini.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  Steeringwheelmini.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  39.6 KB

Old 11-04-2014, 03:53 PM
spingq
4th Gear
looks good. did you order the stitching in that configuration? The majority of pics I've seen have shown "BMW M stitching", which is what I want, with some write-ups saying you can stitch it any way you want when installing it. However, the way yours is stitched would mean I'd have to do all of the line stitching myself, which would be a pain... Other pics I've seen have shown that the cover is pre-stitched on either edge, which would allow you to simply run a thread inside the existing stitches to complete the M pattern.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:00 PM
flakoR56
3rd Gear
i think am just going to do this

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2590704/

i couldn't find the horn one but i just want it to be black, all the other steering wheels look the same to me.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by spingq
looks good. did you order the stitching in that configuration? The majority of pics I've seen have shown "BMW M stitching", which is what I want, with some write-ups saying you can stitch it any way you want when installing it. However, the way yours is stitched would mean I'd have to do all of the line stitching myself, which would be a pain... Other pics I've seen have shown that the cover is pre-stitched on either edge, which would allow you to simply run a thread inside the existing stitches to complete the M pattern.
I originally ordered it with black thread, then after I releathered everything else along with the lounge leather seats, I ordered cream. The base stitching in the cover was black and I threaded the cream through it which is why it has the saw tooth look instead of the customary design options. Tell them you want cream stitching in the wheel with the thread and you can do all of those other designs. The nice part is if you don't like the design you made, you can remove the lacing and do it again. This is a full cover, so you fit it over your wheel and you indeed do lace it yourself. It is some work, but it is rewarding when you are done.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
You can mod the GP2 steering wheel for paddles , it shares the same set up as the JCW alcantara Thicker steering wheel .

Linked for Mod.

Install:

Thanks
Quick question. I have a manual JCW and was thinking of getting this wheel. Will the multifunction controls from my car transfer over to this wheel easily or will it need to be modified?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior GP2 Steering Wheel?