North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior-363/)
-   -   Interior/Exterior Adding auto dim/home link mirror to '14 countryman (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/276277-adding-auto-dim-home-link-mirror-to-14-countryman.html)

sabwjz 08-30-2014 11:17 AM

Adding auto dim/home link mirror to '14 countryman

I've read over old topics on this issue and need some clarification before I pull the trigger on purchasing the auto dim mirror with home link. Our 2014 countryman came with the manual mirror (no dimming/no homelink). I confirmed that the 10 pin connector on the existing mirror is only pinned with 3 wires 12v (brown with green stipe), 5v (yellow), and ground (brown with black stripe) and the power wires are hot all the time. This I'm assuming is for the key fob receiver in the mirror. From reading this thread I should be able to jumper the orange and red wires on the new (dimming/homelink oem mirror) and connect it to the existing vehicle side connector and everything should work? I read a post that people have had problems with their key fobs not working afterward. Any help anybody could lend would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Branto 08-30-2014 11:44 AM

There is a factory retrofit wiring kit available for about $25.
No need to jump anything.

It will make any conversion possible, I didn't need the homelink, but just switched mine to the autodim.

In the future I would like to switch to the homelink with the compass.

sabwjz 08-30-2014 03:01 PM

Ok is that kit p/n 61-12-0-416-436? I found this # in an old thread but wanted to make sure that it would be effective for a 2014 model. I'd ask my local dealer but they really aren't great to deal with. Actually drove over 150 miles to another dealership to buy our car just to avoid them!

bmrguy03 08-30-2014 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by sabwjz (Post 3982367)
Ok is that kit p/n 61-12-0-416-436? I found this # in an old thread but wanted to make sure that it would be effective for a 2014 model. I'd ask my local dealer but they really aren't great to deal with. Actually drove over 150 miles to another dealership to buy our car just to avoid them!

I will check my receipts when I get a chance. Yes it will be the same for the 14. I had the retrofit instructions, they were for an R56 though but MINI tends to wire all the models almost the same. I retrofitted the Auto dim mirror w/ Homelink and compass into my 2012 CMS using the retrofit wire and instrictions and have had no problems.

heiker 09-01-2014 02:35 AM

I have retrofitted by CM with AutoDimming rear view mirror. Works perfectly. I did the wiring myself, as there are only few wires to be added (connection between mirror and JBE). It works even without codding.

What you need to take care is to choose the right mirror - there are different frequencies cobinations of the key fob remote and homelink, so there are many different versions of the autodimm+homelink. When chosen wrong, it causes problems with key fob. Check which fit yours at realoem.com

bmrguy03 09-01-2014 11:15 AM

Retrofit Wiring Harness

Originally Posted by heiker (Post 3982907)
I have retrofitted by CM with AutoDimming rear view mirror. Works perfectly. I did the wiring myself, as there are only few wires to be added (connection between mirror and JBE). It works even without codding.

What you need to take care is to choose the right mirror - there are different frequencies cobinations of the key fob remote and homelink, so there are many different versions of the autodimm+homelink. When chosen wrong, it causes problems with key fob. Check which fit yours at realoem.com

Although, if you do have problems with your key fob after retrofitting the new mirror, what you can do is swap the FOB antennas within the mirrors from your old mirror to your new one. It is doable as I had to do that at one point and not too complex at all.

Anyway,I looked up my old receipt and the part number I have for the wiring harness is 61-12-0-416-436. I only paid $22 with tax, so it really is worth it and not expensive at all.