Interior/Exterior Electrochromic internal and wing mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 AM
heiker
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Auto Dim (EC/Electrochromic) Mirrors- internal and wing/side

I have started a new project to retrofit my CM with electrochromic auto dim mirrors.

First of all I was also thinking about remote door opener in the rear view mirror, but I could not find proper version in Realoecom. Fob key of CM is 868 MHZ, garage remote is 443MHz. I could not find that combination in available versions of rear view mirrors - if you have prod number of it, please share it.

So I decided to go with simple auto dim retrofit.

I have decided to divide the project into two phases:
1. Internal rear view mirror upgrade
2. Wing mirrors upgrade, with EC, electric fold-in and heating

Internal mirror upgrade is piece of cake. Get EC mirror version of your car, swap the old one and add 2 wires between mirror plug and JBE. Mirror's dim works even without codding, however adding FA $431 is recommended. Without coding mirror will not switch offrom dim when reversing the car.

Later on I will provide you PINs numbers.

External wing mirrors are more complicated.
Please note, that external mirrors and wiring has changed 11.2012, and the old one does not fit electrically the new. Moreover external EC mirrors require EC rear view mirror as a prerequisite.

What you need:
1. New wiring harness for mirrors and connect them with:
- FRM,
- JBD
- internal rear view mirror
- mirror switch
2. Mirrors steering switch cluster (driver's door) - version high, with folding button
3. External mirrors with EC and electrical folding.

I have completed internal part so far (installation of the rearview mirror, adding internal wiring harnesses). For the second stage I still need to collect the rest of parts.

Last edited by heiker; 11-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:11 PM
heiker
2nd Gear
Task completed!

Follow up - I've completed the project

I've managed to buy:
1. Driver's door switch cluster (high version) - $70 (used, together with door's trim)
2. EC+PF mirrors with black caps (they were from Mini Paceman, but it is 1:1 replaceable) - $300 pair (used, perfect condition)
3. Couple of mirror connector plugs (8 pin) - I found VW webasto plug after small modification fits perfectly (http://allegro.pl/webasto-thermo-top...771442422.html) - $18 pair
4. Plug upgrades for door connectors (to connect EC wires) - 61136925545 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&fg=10&hl=32) - $3 pair
5. Wires for harness - 6 types of wires, about 10m each.
6. Male and female micro connectors 2x20pcs - $10

I have been upgrading my mirrors from the most basic version (3-pin, no heating), which are directly controlled by mirror switch without FRM.

Most challenging part were preparations:
- reverse engineering of the mirror controlling system
- designing wire schemas and connections
I will add later on electrical schema with pin numbers in FRM, JBE, door connectors and mirror's plugs.

What you need to do:
1. Instal wiring harness inside the car (front doors connectors, FRM, JBE, rear view mirror)
2. Install wiring harnesses in the front doors (driver side - upgrade the switch cluster plug by unplugging wires to control previous mirrors, both doors - move 2 wires (for heating) from the old mirror plug to the new one)
3. Add plug upgrade in the door connectors
4. Swap wing mirrors
5. Swap driver's door switch cluster
6. Connect all electrical connectors (mirrors, door connectors, FRM, JBE)

At this stage, auto dim function should start to work in the wing mirrors, as it is triggered directly by the rear-view mirror

7. Codding:
- add vehicle options (VO) $313, $314, $430 (and previously added $431) to FRM and CAS,
-default FRM, CAS, SPEG

Right now mirrors should be controlled from the new switch cluster, power folding should work from the door's button.

If you want to code remote power folding / unfolding of the mirrors by the key fob, you need to make sure, if those options are set:
FRM:
MIRROR_KOMM_DTCS - active
ASP_MEMORY - active (maybe not required)
ASP_BORDSTEIN_AUTOM - active (maybe not required)
ASP_EINKLAPPEN - active
ASP_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP - active

CAS:
KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB - active (should be already set)
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB - active

and voila - here is the outcome

The following 2 users liked this post by heiker:
ApexF60SE (01-25-2019), russellg (03-03-2023)
Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 PM
SC R60
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strong work, heiker

Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 AM
BFM
Neutral
Electric Mirror Install

That Looks Awsome.

Question. I have an '12 R60 S All4 w/ heated seats, but no heated mirrors.

I'm not looking to get quite as crazy as you did, I only want to add heating to my mirrors.

Is this just as simple as adding wires to the harness and adjusting CPU settings? According to the dealer my existing glass has a heating element in it. is this correct?

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2014, 01:04 AM
heiker
2nd Gear
@ BFM

Adding heating is not a big deal. You can check first if you wing mirrors are pre equipped - you disassemble mirror from door and look how many pins you have in mirror. If the mirror is already preequipped with heating, it should have 5 pins. If you have 3 pins, than you mirror is not heating ready. The separate aspect is the mirror glass - I do not know if the heating element is a default in all of the glasses, or only in heated ones. According to Realoem, all glasses there are with heating, but that is not a proof. Best option would be for you to carefully remove one of the mirror glasses and take a look of the rear side if there are heating connectors.
Anyway, IMHO I do not know how to upgrade the wing mirror with wires and pins (how to dissassemble the mirror itself, so you can upgrade the internal wire harness).

If you have heating ready wing mirror (5 pins), so all you have to do is to add wire harness connections. Positive connection goes separatelly for each side from JBE module, negative you have to jump from negative wires in the door's harness. I will chack later on the wiring schema and provide you pin numbers. After setting up wires connections, you need to program ECUs by adding VO $314 and defaulting modules. Please remember, that heating in mirrors is only activated when external temp is below 3oC. I did not found any option to turn it on manually on request.

Do you have any further questions except wiring schema?

Old 12-18-2014, 05:39 AM
BFM
Neutral
@heiker

Thanks for the info, If you have the wiring schema that would be awesome! If this were reddit, I would give you gold!

I will let you know how it goes when I eventually get around to the project. It's a little cold right now to work in the driveway and I unfortunately don't have a garage to call my own....

I did have one last question. Are the mirrors heated on a cycle, like the rear window defrost? or are they always on below the frost warning temp?

Last edited by BFM; 12-18-2014 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 AM
heiker
2nd Gear
Here are schemas. All you need should be on the pictures. There are separate shcemas for EC mirrors, and separate for just electric&folding

BTW - Mirrors are heated continously when T<3oC.

Attached Thumbnails Electrochromic internal and wing mirrors-jbe-plugs.jpg   Electrochromic internal and wing mirrors-r60-wing-mirrors-schema.png   Electrochromic internal and wing mirrors-r60-wing-ec-mirrors-schema.png  

Last edited by heiker; 11-09-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:54 PM
BFM
Neutral
Will See what I can do with this!!

Old 06-16-2016, 05:00 AM
Ray Parish Jr
Neutral
2016 r60

First off, thank you for all your information and hard work.

I just purchased a 2016 R60 with folding mirrors. The dealership said there is not a way to have the mirrors automatically fold in when locking the car via the FOB.
Am I correct that you were able to get this to work by adding in a new wire harness in both doors and then configuring the ECM?

If so, do you have part numbers of the wire harness I would need to purchase?
Also, what will I need to update the ECM codes?

thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:20 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray Parish Jr
First off, thank you for all your information and hard work.

I just purchased a 2016 R60 with folding mirrors. The dealership said there is not a way to have the mirrors automatically fold in when locking the car via the FOB.
Am I correct that you were able to get this to work by adding in a new wire harness in both doors and then configuring the ECM?

If so, do you have part numbers of the wire harness I would need to purchase?
Also, what will I need to update the ECM codes?

thanks in advance!

Surprised no one got back to you yet. If you already have the power folding mirrors, no physical hardware installation is needed - just need the coding part. Plenty of coders can do it remotely or you can download and install the program to do it yourself.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Ray Parish Jr
Neutral
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
Surprised no one got back to you yet. If you already have the power folding mirrors, no physical hardware installation is needed - just need the coding part. Plenty of coders can do it remotely or you can download and install the program to do it yourself.

I would love to do this myself. What software is required?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ray Parish Jr
I would love to do this myself. What software is required?
google or look on this forum for Coding - you need an OBD2 cable to usb, the software, setup on a laptop, the sp daten files for your MINI, and get coding! There's so much out there, I won't rehash it all here Good luck! I am going to be coding my MINI tonight (only thing I am missing is the exterior mirror package, so no power fold for me :( )

Old 10-27-2016, 11:20 AM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Justin, where did you buy your ob2 cable for coding? Can you provide a link. Thanks

Old 10-28-2016, 09:11 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sub3622
Justin, where did you buy your ob2 cable for coding? Can you provide a link. Thanks
I got mine used locally from a person who got their cable from bimmertech. Plenty of ebay or websites that sell em. K+DCAN is the cable you need for R56/7/8/9/60/61 models, all coded under R56 in ncs expert.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:29 AM
sub3622
4th Gear
I got mine used locally from a person who got their cable from bimmertech. Plenty of ebay or websites that sell em. K+DCAN is the cable you need for R56/7/8/9/60/61 models, all coded under R56 in ncs expert.

I bought from ebay two of them and non of them work

Old 10-31-2016, 07:47 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
I bought from ebay two of them and non of them work
Are you sure it wasn't your ncs and inpa installation?

Old 11-03-2016, 02:21 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by heiker
Here are schemas. All you need should be on the pictures. Sorry for quite small letters, however it should be readable anyway.
Hard to see/read these schematics. Do you have a bigger version? I would like to retrofit power fold mirrors in my paceman

Last edited by JustinGTP; 11-03-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:52 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Old 11-04-2016, 02:39 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Are you sure it wasn't your ncs and inpa installation?
Well, ncs and inpa were running but always had bad communication errors, basically the error was saying cable not connected.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:56 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Well, ncs and inpa were running but always had bad communication errors, basically the error was saying cable not connected.
Can you see the two black dots on inpa? Bet your cable isn't setup properly. Drivers. Latency to 1. Com port set properly.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:34 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Can you see the two black dots on inpa? Bet your cable isn't setup properly. Drivers. Latency to 1. Com port set properly.

There were always one dot only and latency were set up to 1. When i get home i will check the com port set up.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:56 PM
extranrg
1st Gear
Interested in both of these mods. Would this have worked for you?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FUKewAodmSgJFg

Originally Posted by heiker
I have started a new project to retrofit my CM with electrochromic auto dim mirrors.

First of all I was also thinking about remote door opener in the rear view mirror, but I could not find proper version in Realoecom. Fob key of CM is 868 MHZ, garage remote is 443MHz. I could not find that combination in available versions of rear view mirrors - if you have prod number of it, please share it.

So I decided to go with simple auto dim retrofit.

I have decided to divide the project into two phases:
1. Internal rear view mirror upgrade
2. Wing mirrors upgrade, with EC, electric fold-in and heating

Internal mirror upgrade is piece of cake. Get EC mirror version of your car, swap the old one and add 2 wires between mirror plug and JBE. Mirror's dim works even without codding, however adding FA $431 is recommended. Without coding mirror will not switch offrom dim when reversing the car.

Later on I will provide you PINs numbers.

External wing mirrors are more complicated.
Please note, that external mirrors and wiring has changed 11.2012, and the old one does not fit electrically the new. Moreover external EC mirrors require EC rear view mirror as a prerequisite.

What you need:
1. New wiring harness for mirrors and connect them with:
- FRM,
- JBD
- internal rear view mirror
- mirror switch
2. Mirrors steering switch cluster (driver's door) - version high, with folding button
3. External mirrors with EC and electrical folding.

I have completed internal part so far (installation of the rearview mirror, adding internal wiring harnesses). For the second stage I still need to collect the rest of parts.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 AM
heiker
2nd Gear
See above, uploaded bigger schema

Old 11-09-2017, 05:48 AM
heiker
2nd Gear
@extranrg
Similar, not the same. Mine is without homelink. But homelink just is a module in-build in the mirror, so it requires just voltage power from the vehicle battery. EC rear view mirror is really easy mod.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know what VO are needed for retrofit the interior autodim mirror only? (Not the wing/door mirrors).

EDIT: Never mind, it's in the first post. My bad.

VO is $431

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Electrochromic internal and wing mirrors