Interior/Exterior Painting Chrome Black

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
cwileyrrt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Chrome Black

Hi Guys' I'm trying to get rid of all the chrome on my countryman. I recently used the belt line black out tape from outmotoring which worked decently well. I know it wont be a permanent solution but looks good for now.

I want to also black out the grill chrome trim and possibly even the chrome in the headlight housing.

Anyone know of a good black gloss paint to use and some tips to paint it? Looking for something that will last in the various weather and look good obviously.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 AM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you're going gloss i would look into having the chrome vinyl wrapped. if you're looking for more of a flat finish plastidip is the way to go and almost every chrome trim piece can be removed and sprayed. there's quite a few threads about plastidipping the chrome.

there's also an alleged oem "blackout" trim kit, which has the taillights, headlight surrounds and side scuttle lights all blacked out but i haven't seen it or heard of its actual availability.

... when you say "chrome in the headlight housing" if you mean the trim pieces attached to the hood those are fine to paint/wrap/plastidip, if you're referring to the inside of the light it might be another story. i've seen a few threads around where the heat from the bulb/ballast causes even heat resistant paint to peel and bubble.

you might want to start experimenting with the headlight surrounds since they're the easiest to remove and can be replaced pretty easily and fairly cheaply from ebay if something goes wrong.