Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior LED Fog Light DRL's from OutMotoring

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 AM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrecardoso
How did it go?
It worked out. I've been meaning to post about how I finally got them installed.

The transformer looking things are ballast that plug into the old parking light harness to prevent a bulb check warning.

The white wire is not used.

The red goes to any ignition on power source. I just piggybacked on a fuse in the engine bay cause it was easiest with wiring and grounding etc.

The black goes to any ground - I just used a bolt that was in the frame near the fuse box I tapped into.

All in all they are great and I love the look. The only small downside which isn't really an issue is since they are piggybacked on a fuse which holds some charge after the car is off they stay on for a while once I leave the car.

Lots of "hey your lights are still on..." since I installed them.

All in all very pleased

Old 12-17-2015, 11:31 AM
andrecardoso
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get them from ebay? Can you provide us the link (hope it is not against the rules)?

Old 12-17-2015, 11:42 AM
dez
4th Gear
Old 12-18-2015, 03:56 AM
andrecardoso
1st Gear
I get the feeling this version outputs a lot more light than the OEM version.
Are the Leds 6000K? I was hoping they would be more like 5000K.. something like that (white, not white/blueish). When I do get them, I will try to splice them somehow to the previous parking lights. I want it to be full circle always 100% brightness, but only when i turn the parking lights on.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:14 PM
andrecardoso
1st Gear
Well, just ordered a pair from a local Portuguese dealer that gets them from Dectane... They'll arrive next week or so.
I think I'll splice the two positive and negative wires that comes with the LED to the existing parking lights (so that I can control them - on or off - whenever I want).
From what I understood, the LED housing already come with the led ballast/resistor attached to it, no need to have any exterior "electronic boxes" connected?

Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Please post pictures after install

Old 04-23-2017, 05:18 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Curious which fuse you tapped for your light installation? Help a brother out?

Originally Posted by dez
It worked out. I've been meaning to post about how I finally got them installed.

The transformer looking things are ballast that plug into the old parking light harness to prevent a bulb check warning.

The white wire is not used.

The red goes to any ignition on power source. I just piggybacked on a fuse in the engine bay cause it was easiest with wiring and grounding etc.

The black goes to any ground - I just used a bolt that was in the frame near the fuse box I tapped into.

All in all they are great and I love the look. The only small downside which isn't really an issue is since they are piggybacked on a fuse which holds some charge after the car is off they stay on for a while once I leave the car.

Lots of "hey your lights are still on..." since I installed them.

All in all very pleased

Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 PM
dez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Curious which fuse you tapped for your light installation? Help a brother out?
I used the engine bay fusebox for easier wiring.

Name:  IMG_6880_zpsgtstyysp.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  277.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6883_zpsxn0pedxr.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6881_zpsuudsgoxc.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  246.5 KB

I added an "add a circuit" fuse adaptor, and grounded on a strut bolt to the right in the first photo. I cut a hole/channel in the fusebox cover to allow for the circuit adaptor wire.

Hope that helps.

Jake

Old 04-24-2017, 03:04 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
This is perfect, thanks!

One last follow up question: How long do the lights stay on once you leave and lock the car?

Originally Posted by dez
I used the engine bay fusebox for easier wiring.

I added an "add a circuit" fuse adaptor, and grounded on a strut bolt to the right in the first photo. I cut a hole/channel in the fusebox cover to allow for the circuit adaptor wire.

Hope that helps.

Jake

Old 04-24-2017, 09:04 AM
dez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
This is perfect, thanks!

One last follow up question: How long do the lights stay on once you leave and lock the car?
It's a bit strange. It depends how long I drive. Longer I drive, longer they stay on. I'd say probably max 5-10 minutes.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:58 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by dez
It's a bit strange. It depends how long I drive. Longer I drive, longer they stay on. I'd say probably max 5-10 minutes.
Nice, thanks again. I made the connection this morning before I went off to work, and they stayed on for 5 minutes after I got to work. I love it!

Old 06-16-2017, 09:37 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone know how to wire these so they run at 75 or 50% brightness? I have the latest version with two white wires, one brown and one green coming out of the driver.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:52 PM
anew742
1st Gear
I know this thread is old, but here's a heads-up to anyone who may be reading: you DO NOT have to remove the bumper to remove the fog light assemblies/housings! If you remove the headlights and undo the wheel well liner you can access the final bolt and simply remove it from the wheel well!
I'll update with more information / pictures once I'm done with the installation; so far I've just done one side. Should be within a day or two.

EDIT: Got them installed! After connecting them with a fuse tap, they work perfectly! Though they do have a tendency to stay on for a while, like dez said. I'll update with pictures and info when I'm not super busy.

Last edited by anew742; 09-10-2018 at 06:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bronchoboyuco (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 05:45 PM
bronchoboyuco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by anew742
I know this thread is old, but here's a heads-up to anyone who may be reading: you DO NOT have to remove the bumper to remove the fog light assemblies/housings! If you remove the headlights and undo the wheel well liner you can access the final bolt and simply remove it from the wheel well!
I'll update with more information / pictures once I'm done with the installation; so far I've just done one side. Should be within a day or two.

EDIT: Got them installed! After connecting them with a fuse tap, they work perfectly! Though they do have a tendency to stay on for a while, like dez said. I'll update with pictures and info when I'm not super busy.
I've been eyeing this install for a while, but have been apprehensive due to low... low technical skills, lol. Thanks for reviving a dead thread. How long did your install take you?

Old 10-15-2018, 04:28 PM
anew742
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bronchoboyuco
I've been eyeing this install for a while, but have been apprehensive due to low... low technical skills, lol. Thanks for reviving a dead thread. How long did your install take you?
Sorry for the slow response!

It took me about three afternoons worth of work, including breaks, interruptions, and my idiocy. If I didn't make so many silly mistakes, I suspect it would have taken a lot less time! Examples include: losing a screw for the mounting bracket, wiring into the wrong fuse (they wouldn't turn off lol!), and not realizing that the washer fluid reservoir slides UP to move it out of the way.
Also, I couldn't be bothered to remove the wheels, which would have made access MUCH easier. Leaving the wheels on made it take way longer, but I'm terrible at getting wheels back on properly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't actually get the same type as most people did in this thread, since I'm not a fan of the "dotted" look. I got solid ring ones made by the same company, Vinstar, from eBay for ~$125.
Here's some pictures:
Spoiler

They're rather bright, and I'm probably going to change them to 50% brightness soon (I'm a tad worried that the LEDs might be overdriven or something...). At night they're like powerful flashlights - you don't want to stare into them for too long!
I can post more photos & info when I can/if anyone's interested

Last edited by anew742; 10-15-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Additional info