Interior/Exterior Removal of Side Scuttels

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 09:22 AM
ivegota
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Like new Scuttles!

Originally Posted by ItzNeil
I recently removed mine and sprayed them in Anthracite plastidip. TO remove the clips easily, use a 1/4" breaker bar with an 8MM socket. Place the socket over the pointy end of the clip and press gently. The socket will squeeze the tab on the clip so it pops out very easily. Start at the top. you can then use a 6MM to free the two clips you can reach holding on the fender flare. Finally, once I removed the first scuttle, I trimmed the 1" long locating pin under the fender to 1/2" so that I needed far less movement in the fender flare to refit the scuttle. For the second one, I used a loose hacksaw blade that I bent slightly to again trim the pin length to about 1/2" BEFORE I removed it to make removal and replacement much easier on the fender flare.
I had done one side the day before I saw your post, and it was literally 90% faster for the other side once I read your post about using sockets on those fasteners. Thanks! I have tiny hands so was able to just use a 1/4 mini ratchet to put my hand in there through the opening with the hood open and pop it out. My scuttles where in serious need of a refresh.

Faded, discolored, and Yuck!

The "S" is color-changing paint and it actually matches the Jungle Green of the car a lot better than the pic shows. :-)

Old 04-28-2020, 09:57 AM
ItzNeil
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That looks great. I love the texture on the scuttle, what paint did you use? And the S, what colours does it change to, and when? I have a BRG R61S, the colour changing sounds interesting. Glad the socket tip helped. I was able to get to a couple of them up close, but I have big hands, so needed the breaker bar to reach them. Looks like you painted the softer plastic inserts too. Those were in good shape, so I left them black, I like the contrast with the Anthracite. Need to swap to your smoke LEDS lights, I left the clear housing but replaced the incandescent orange bulbs with white Phillips LEDS that blink orange, so I don;t see that orange at the bottom. Also swapped the front turn signal bulbs for 'silvered' incandescents that blink orange, so when not lit, I don't see the orange turn bulbs. Finally swapped all four corner markers for smoke LED strips that would match your side markers well.

Last edited by ItzNeil; 04-28-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:55 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by ivegota
I had done one side the day before I saw your post, and it was literally 90% faster for the other side once I read your post about using sockets on those fasteners. Thanks! I have tiny hands so was able to just use a 1/4 mini ratchet to put my hand in there through the opening with the hood open and pop it out. My scuttles where in serious need of a refresh.
Did you put glossifier on the Plasti-Dip? It looks less matte than I would expect?

Old 08-02-2020, 05:30 PM
ItzNeil
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No gloss. Just like from the can. It did lay down really flat though... Sometimes I get too much texture.