North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior-193/)
-   -   Interior/Exterior Rear Fog Light (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/200658-rear-fog-light.html)

JestorofMotoring 12-07-2010 04:59 AM

Rear Fog Light

So I want to put a rear fog on a r56S, i cant seem to find any type of retrofit kit anywhere, anyone have any suggestions?

yetti96 12-07-2010 06:01 AM

Outmotoring has the lenses for sale.

richardsperry 12-07-2010 06:30 AM

What year R56. You can install them up to 9-09 production. The wiring is all there. After 9-09, the wiring was not installed at the factory, (just like for the factory alarm), and the rear fogs CANNOT be retrofitted. (alarm they can now retrofit)

They can not reprogram the computer. You can install everything else, but you can't make it work without an aftermarket switch and relay.

ammodave 12-07-2010 07:35 AM

You can install the Outmotoring kit yourself and just wire it up as a 3rd taillight without much problem. Making it function like it was factory installed will be very difficult (maybe impossible) and expensive.

condor27596 12-07-2010 08:20 AM

If you got a bulb from V-leds you would not need a relay.
You could just put it inline some place.

I used the V-Leds on all buy my blinkers and they
are much better than regular or even super bright
PIAAs. Although considerably more expensive.

mini4tide 12-07-2010 04:06 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have an 07 MCS produced in 09/07. I am unaware of where these wires are to retrofit the rear fogs. Can anyone share some info on where they are? Thanks

Turmoil 12-28-2010 06:58 PM

Wow, that sucks to hear. I just got my 2011 MCS without the rear fog light thinking I can put it in after the fact but... alas... I am wrong...

Not that I would ever use it, but its the missing toggled switch in the dash that bothers me. Has anyone thought of something creative to do with the empty space?

yetti96 12-29-2010 04:53 AM

I added the rear fogs on my '09 and installed the switch but the dealer is having issues programming it. I am still in the process to get it to work like factory before I splice in the brake light wire for the turn on lead.

schatzy62 12-29-2010 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by mini4tide (Post 3171693)
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have an 07 MCS produced in 09/07. I am unaware of where these wires are to retrofit the rear fogs. Can anyone share some info on where they are? Thanks

Located between the bumper and the foam behind it. May have to pull the bumper out a bit to get to it.

smoke05S 12-31-2010 09:57 AM

There is another way. It is a rear fog light so I wanted it to come on when I use the front fog lights. I used the out motoring kit on my 09 to get the lenses. Luckily the wiring was there but if it wasn't you could easily solder in lieu of splicing. So I don't overwhelm the electrical system I switched to LED bulbs. Without cutting anything, I spliced a wire into the hot side on each rear fog light (a single wire) and ran that up to the front fog on the drivers side. Now I am within the law where there is an indicator when the rear fogs are on and they are only on when the fogs are on.

Otra 01-01-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by richardsperry (Post 3171409)
What year R56. You can install them up to 9-09 production. The wiring is all there. After 9-09, the wiring was not installed at the factory, (just like for the factory alarm), and the rear fogs CANNOT be retrofitted. (alarm they can now retrofit)

They can not reprogram the computer. You can install everything else, but you can't make it work without an aftermarket switch and relay.

Thanks for this information.

I just bought a 2010 MC (great deal at MINI of Peabody by the way)... And I'd asked my service guy at my MINI dealer down in Stamford CT...and they said that they had never done one and the whole harnessing and pulling the bumper, etc. would run into over a thousand plus if they tried it. :sad: I was kind of sad as I think it can be a good safety option to have. Oh well, the MC is a beauty anyway.