Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior URGET: Invisible Shield Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGET: Invisible Shield Question

Hey everyone.

I have had my Mini for about a year and a half now, and have had the invisible shield installed since I took delivery. My problem is the edges are lifting and dirt has become stuck to these edges. I took it in for the dealer to look at, but they are telling me that the fix is to replace it, but at my cost. They say that this is a non warrantable item, and that as the vinyl shrinks and expands with heat, the edges lift and dirt becomes trapped. This is supposed to be completely normal, but I find it hard to believe. Can anyone share their experiences with their clear bra?

Thanks
Tyler

I apologize for mistyping URGENT.

Last edited by TyCrox07; 06-02-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
I just know that there has to be people out there that have had the bra much longer than I.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
wafp
1st Gear
Assuming you got the dealer installed invisishield by 3M - it should have a 5 year warranty. If you bought the car new, and had the dealer apply the shield, you should have paperwork detailing said warranty, and a brochure on your product.

I personally have VentureShield on mine, and got it installed a month after I bought the car. And it has a lifetime warranty to boot.

Regardless...my situation has nothing to do with yours. Just like reading myself in fine print. GL with your situation, you can always call another dealer and ask what the policy is for the shield, or go direct to manufacturer.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Wafp, thanks for your response.
I never received a brochure with the warranty information. It is at the dealer now, and has been there since Friday of last week while they we supposed to be fixing it. However, they called today to say it wasn't warrantable. Have you had any of the issues with it lifting?

Thanks
Tyler

Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
It should NOT do that.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Here are some pictures of the issue.
http://s855.photobucket.com/albums/a...xall11/Tucker/
Thanks
Tyler

Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
wafp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TyCrox07
Here are some pictures of the issue.
http://s855.photobucket.com/albums/a...xall11/Tucker/
Thanks
Tyler
Mine's not the same brand as yours is, and mine's only 2 weeks old.

Have you been using a pressure washer or going to a car wash to get your car clean?

I agree it shouldn't look like that. I'd call a different Mini dealer and see if you get a different response. If you know the manufacturer, look it up on the good ole interwebs. Or hit up your Mini dealer, I'm sure they have a brochure for the clear bra on their salesfloor, or on the desks of the MAs.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
wafp, the only time my car goes through a automatic car wash is when I forget to tell the dealer 'no.' I wash it by hand about 3 times a week, with low pressure. I had talked to another dealer near my college, and they wouldn't touch it because they didn't install it. Thanks though.
I work nearly continuously to keep it clean, with about 5 coats of wax month and a clay bar treatment every 2.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM
wafp
1st Gear
wafp, the only time my car goes through a automatic car wash is when I forget to tell the dealer 'no.' I wash it by hand about 3 times a week, with low pressure. I had talked to another dealer near my college, and they wouldn't touch it because they didn't install it. Thanks though.
I work nearly continuously to keep it clean, with about 5 coats of wax month and a clay bar treatment every 2.
On a side note - the clear bra isn't paint...and you're better off using Plexus or something along those lines to keep that area clean and shiny.

You say you wax 5 coats a month - you do that by hand or with an orbital? You may or may not be bringing up the edges of the clear bra inadvertently while you detail the rest of the vehicle...it is a seam and a slight difference in height after all.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:46 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
The bra does not get waxed, I wax by hand, and stop waxing about 0.5 in from the bra. Interestingly, the areas that are lifting the least are those areas that are close to where I regularly wax.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 PM
wafp
1st Gear
The bra does not get waxed, I wax by hand, and stop waxing about 0.5 in from the bra. Interestingly, the areas that are lifting the least are those areas that are close to where I regularly wax.
Fair enough, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Part of the issue may be that there are technically 2 separate warranties for most of this stuff...an installation type warranty and a product warranty. And from the looks of things, this falls squarely on the shoulders of the installer. Press to find out whether they installed in house or whether they farmed out to a local shop...and see where that may lead you.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Thanks, that what I'll do tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone has any pictures of the clear bra on their car after some amount of time? I know this cannot be normal, and am just wondering how everyones' are holding up.

Thanks
Tyler

Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi!

Yes, it is unfortunately normal :( Mine has been on for 5 years now, and I have the same issue you have. It's lifting in certain areas and dirt is now behind it.

I talked to a local guy who does the invisible shield install (3rd party, not dealer), and he says that instead of replacing the whole thing, he goes with a sharp xacto knife and just cuts off the bits that are lifting.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:54 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Thanks, Justin. However, I feel like 5 years may be reasonable, as I do not expect it to last forever, but I would hope that it would last 2 years without any problems. If after I understand the warranty, and it is indeed not covered by warranty, I may just remove it. I cannot stand having a car that never looks clean. I guess it was a waste of 400$.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Does anyone run their MINI 'naked?' and are the stone chips really that bad?

Thanks
Tyler

Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I don"t have the shield and run a two lane (fast) county route to work 25 miles each way. I was thinking of getting the shield on my next Mini as the dings are very evident (on Pepper White). I'd rather have protection then to see my car dinged up. Just the edges lifting is not bad....the main part of your car is protected still. All in all it depends on what roads you travel, how close you follow others, and/or can you tolerate dings. I'd still have the shield. How about a bra for your car .......whoa.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
I'm in college in a little podunk town. The majority of the driving I do in city, and when I come home it's two lane country for 90 miles. I'm obsessive about this car as it's my first new car and I paid for it. I want to keep it in the best possible condition, but I can't stand the edges lifting up, it looks horrible.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Has anyone bought their MINI from MINI of Pittsburgh (P&W Imports) with the bra installed?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
I have similar issues as yourself on my front bumper, and mine was installed a year ago. Unfortunately, dirt has been trapped in a couple of areas (pretty much the same spot as slide 2 in your album) .

However, I am SOL because I had an installer install it, and I bought the 3M Invisishield off the net. The only thing I can think of that would cause this is the crappy automatic car wash the dealership uses. The last couple of visits I have forgotten to tell them not to wash it.

-Wittenberg Alum

Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
Gah, Kimbo, I feel you. I hope we can work something out when I go to the dealer tomorrow.

On a side-note, I have a twin that goes to Wittenberg, I go to the College of Wooster, small world.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
darmog
4th Gear
I've had mine installed since I took delivery in Sept 07. Hasn't lifted at all. Only washed once or twice a month. Been thru a couple of touchless carwashes. It's not a garage queen since I got it. It's always outside exposed to the heat and rain. Might be a problem with the film they used?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
I don't have a clear bra, but when I travel 90 miles or over I painters tape the front of my car and it pretty much keeps it stone chip free. Here are some pictures

Attached Thumbnails URGET: Invisible Shield Question-002-edited.jpg   URGET: Invisible Shield Question-003-edited.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
David, the painter's tape is a good idea. However, having paid for the shield, I'm going to try my best to get this resolved.

Thanks
Tyler

Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
wafp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
I don't have a clear bra, but when I travel 90 miles or over I painters tape the front of my car and it pretty much keeps it stone chip free. Here are some pictures
Seriously?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, Justin. However, I feel like 5 years may be reasonable, as I do not expect it to last forever, but I would hope that it would last 2 years without any problems. If after I understand the warranty, and it is indeed not covered by warranty, I may just remove it. I cannot stand having a car that never looks clean. I guess it was a waste of 400$.
Sorry, I should have mentioned it started long before 5 years, but once it has lifted a touch, it doesn't get any worse.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior URGET: Invisible Shield Question