Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How do you remove beltline trim?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:30 AM
grymni
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you remove beltline trim?

Hello everyone, Im needing to know how to remove the beltline trim specifically the piece on the rear hatch. Ive searched and searched and wasnt able to find any detailed info on how these come off. Unfortunetly this piece was damaged while my stripes were being installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas,
Rob

Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Ive seen pictures where it is held on by snaps and it just pulls away from the car. You just need to be careful not to damage it while pulling if off (sounds like you may not need to worry about this).

If someone else could chime into to confirm for me. Thanks!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 AM
grymni
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gilboyto
Ive seen pictures where it is held on by snaps and it just pulls away from the car. You just need to be careful not to damage it while pulling if off (sounds like you may not need to worry about this).

Thanks for the quick reply. The parts guy at mini showed me a diagram of how it fits on, it looks just to snap on as you say. I hope there is a trick to taking it off because I realy dont want to just muscle it and risk damaging something else.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Uncl3
5th Gear
Might be self explanatory if you have the new piece that you're going to put on.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
grymni
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Uncl3
Might be self explanatory if you have the new piece that you're going to put on.
Thats what I thought when I bought the new trim. There just doesnt seem to be a way to get behind it to pop it off without doing other damage which is exactly what happened when the stripe installer tried to remove it.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Could be the installer didnt know where the clips were so he didnt know where to pry ?

Can it be slid off the center clips to one side or the other instead of prying it off ?

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM
grymni
2nd Gear
I decided to bring the car to the dealer to have them remove the trim piece. For whatever reason the trim would not come off the car the way it was supposed to so they had to slide it off of the tracks it was clipped on to. They charged me a half hour labor which i was more than happy to pay being that I wasnt able to remove it myself.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by grymni
Hello everyone, Im needing to know how to remove the beltline trim specifically the piece on the rear hatch. Ive searched and searched and wasnt able to find any detailed info on how these come off. Unfortunetly this piece was damaged while my stripes were being installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas,
Rob
How bout making the installer pay for the professional repair of the trim?! It's totally unacceptable that they didn't offer to do this for you already!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:29 AM
grymni
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
How bout making the installer pay for the professional repair of the trim?! It's totally unacceptable that they didn't offer to do this for you already!
They denied doing the damage. The trim was the easiest part to repair, the rear glass was also scratched all to hell from them trying to pry the trim off. Ive ordered a glass scratch removal kit to fix the back glass, I hope it works. The car had 840 miles on it when I dropped it off and I had just detailed it so it would be clean for the stripe install. If that damage had been there prior to me bringing it to the shop I wouldve noticed it. Ive used this shop for a couple of my other cars and never had a problem, infact they have done excellent work and was completely comfortable with them working on my car. I was upset that the car was damaged but was realy upset when they denied doing it, it was blatantly obvious what had happened.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM
MINI MX
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gilboyto

Gilboyto,

Do you remember where you saw the pictures? I need to remove the trim on top of the hood and cant find info anywhere.

Thanks,

Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Lovemonkey
1st Gear
hood belt line, door belt line, and the little bit inbetween just pulls off, its held on by very plyable metal piece suronded in rubber all the way along the part that acts like a clamp, you just lift. back panels and boot belt line are a littel different tho. they are cliped onto a rail not shure of the details of removing them yet.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 AM
MINI MX
2nd Gear
Thanks Lovemonkey, appreciate you help.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 AM
blackbart
2nd Gear
Damn - would love to see a video clip of this removal. How you grasp the trim piece to pull it off kinda has me concerned. There is a lot a damage that can be done if this "prying and pulling" is done incorrectly. Perhaps some confident member can make a short instuctional clip? Pleeeaaassseeee?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 AM
EB DOS
1st Gear
Anyone figure this out yet? lol

Old 10-01-2016, 11:13 AM
I CHA 3X
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still a mystery?

attempting this now. hope i don't break anything.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:42 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
On the back windows and hatch, I pushed down on the trim while sliding a small putty knife along the under side lightly prying it out. Alot of dirt and gunk builds up behind it tho so be careful and clean the prying device often. After the bottom is loose you just need to push up on it to pop the top edge. It takes a few tries to get exactly what you need to do down, but after you get a feel for it it's easy. The rear hatch was the worst because of the curve.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:25 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Anyone know how to remove / replace the clips? Do you have to remove the glass?

Side note: The Haynes Manual for the Mini SUCKS!

Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The clips that mount to the car, do you have to remove the glass to replace those?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 AM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
The ones under the window? No, just push in the center pin and pull them out.

Does anyone know how to remove the chrome trim at the base of the window outside? Is it just like the trim under the window and behind (r53) - sort of serrated plastic jaws and a thinner pieces slides in between?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by grymni
They denied doing the damage. The trim was the easiest part to repair, the rear glass was also scratched all to hell from them trying to pry the trim off. Ive ordered a glass scratch removal kit to fix the back glass, I hope it works. The car had 840 miles on it when I dropped it off and I had just detailed it so it would be clean for the stripe install. If that damage had been there prior to me bringing it to the shop I wouldve noticed it. Ive used this shop for a couple of my other cars and never had a problem, infact they have done excellent work and was completely comfortable with them working on my car. I was upset that the car was damaged but was realy upset when they denied doing it, it was blatantly obvious what had happened.
Maybe next time you take a picture of all corners, this way there is no denying they did the damage.
Ben